1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What is your pack break down via pouch? I.e fire pouch,electrics ,light pouch etc

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Jay-uk, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

As per title how does you pack contents break down ,what are you pouches how do you segment or section your contents

RED-FIVE likes this.
  2. GoBliNuke

GoBliNuke Loaded Pockets

In general, pouches dedicated to 1) power and cables, 2) medical, 3) all other stuff.

RED-FIVE and Jay-uk like this.
  3. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Modules in my laptop bag, which I keep TSA safe:
    • Laptop and tablet
    • Admin compartment (writing materials, extra flashlight, earbuds, power bank, Purel wipes, work ID)
    • First aid kit (heavy on bandaids and OTC meds)
    • Trauma kit (TSA safe so no decompression needle)
    • Emergency kit (Another flashlight, headlamp, duct tape, sunscreen, small water bag, N95 mask, extra batteries, lighter, ham radio HT, disposable rain poncho, Heatsheets two person blanket, a few other things)
    • All The Cables
    • Laptop non-cable dongles
    • Travel power strip
    • Power brick for laptop
    • Spare sunglasses
    • Spare prescription glasses
    The emergency kits I keep in our vehicles have a broader array of things, also organized into compartments or small pouches.

RED-FIVE and Jay-uk like this.
  4. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Permanent:
    • FAK in a Vanquest FatPack 5x8 gen2
    Work (office based):
    • Folio - Lilit labs A5 folio case - Fountain pens, A5 Taroko Breeze journal, A5 Rhodia head-stapled pad
    • Pencil case - stationery supplies (pens, pencils, erasers, ruler, highlighters, dry wipe markers, bookmarks, paperclips, etc)
    • Work - Maxped EDC Mini - Work phone, Sennheiser CX-300ii earbuds, cables, cable ties, misc work accessories
    Other:
    • SNAFU - Maxped EDC Fatty - Running repairs kit (Knipex Cobra, Sealey mini ratchet & bits, Boker minibar, Zebralight headtorch, calipers, cable ties, superglue, cordage, etc.)
    Plus other permanent gear in the backpack's admin panel.

RED-FIVE, chaosmagnet and twin63 like this.
  5. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

For a second I thought this thread were aimed at vehicle breakdown/repair kits/pouches. Lol

ballistic likes this.
  6. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

This is highly subjective and dependent on your occupation and location/environment/climate, and how you carry/layer your EDC gear (not talking BOB/GHB). IT and carry a laptop every day? LEO? Rural or urban? -40F or 110F?

Pouches are great for organization but the same can be accomplished by using the different compartments/pockets in a good bag (laptop, backpack, sling, messenger, etc) or a combination of the 2 depending on how quickly you need to access something. Organization should be based on task/role IMHO (ie electronics charging kit with battery bank & cables, writing/notes with pens/pencils, notepads, electronic media storage devices with thumbdrives/USB drives, mini personal hygiene kit, presenter's kit with presenter's remote, VGA/DVI/HDMI adapters, etc).

Find what works best for you over time based on the above and your daily routine.

Biggest advise I can give is to go through your EDC pack/bag every few months and if you haven't used an item really question whether you should be carrying it or not unless it's something like a small FAK/TK (this is your EDC bag afterall, not a BOB/GHB). After doing this with the same item after the 2nd or third time, it definitely should get taken out and probably either left or stored at home/desk/office/vehicle.

Last edited by ballistic, Oct 26, 2019
    #6 ballistic, Oct 26, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  7. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

@ballistic Couldn't agree more.

I'd add that your bag organisation depends on whether you always carry the same bag and swap pouches in and out, or have one bag for work, one bag for personal time in town, another for out in the sticks, etc.

I tend to use the same bag for everything so, for me, it makes sense to have the "always need" stuff in the bag's admin panel & small pockets and then use task-specific pouches I can swap in and out depending on where I'm going and why. If you have multiple bags for different purposes then using the approach that I use might just add weight and make it harder to access items without giving benefit.

Each to their own, and good luck with whatever you end up going for.

8. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

Totally agree. It's situational. Modular approach definitely works well and having different setups depending on purpose/role is also an option. I use both approaches as well as “layered", and always try to err toward a minimalist approach (light equals fast). It all depends on work vs personal, travel vs office, on-call vs not on call, etc. YMMV.

#8 ballistic, Oct 26, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2019