1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What is your next watch purchase?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Elmiro Dungfoot, Nov 1, 2018.

1. HeadOffice

HeadOffice Loaded Pockets

After scanning my collection I have the following next on my list...
    • Tudor Pelagos
    • Omega X-33 (Gen 2)
    • Breitling Hurricane 24 hr

echo victor and Elmiro Dungfoot like this.
  2. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

My days of buying expensive watches are over. I see much better value at the sub $500 point. I just got a Deep Blue Master 1000 with the blue and black “batman” bezel. Chunky and robust, but on a bracelet it’s heavy for everyday wear. My next target will be a cool Trintec copilot Zulu One. An unmistakable aviation look with bold hands and markings.

Tbzbbt

HeadOffice and echo victor like this.
  3. HeadOffice

HeadOffice Loaded Pockets

Agreed - I also have many Citizen and Casio G-Shocks to "level out" the collection. They receive a lot of wrist time as well...

Moshe ben David likes this.
  4. Patski

Patski Loaded Pockets

Well....I couldn't resist...[​IMG]

keycutter likes this.
  5. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

If they give this one the automatic movement treatment with improved lume, then I will shut up and give them my money ...

6. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Loaded Pockets

I borrowed this pic from the web, but I finally worked up the cojones to order a Casio Frogman-Antarctic Research limited edition model...it's my first Frogman. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#26 Sheepdog149, May 13, 2020
    Last edited: May 13, 2020
    keycutter, twin63, jcombs and 4 others like this.
  7. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

After I got my Apple Watch, I’m entirely not sure why I need to get anything else.

specifically, I just don’t wear a watch at all anymore.

8. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

No more watch purchases for me. I'm happy with the watches I have and they all make me happy one way or another. Now that money's going to be spent servicing them.

My Seiko 6139-6005 is going to cost something like $400 to service given how complicated it is, how fragile some of the parts are, and how some replacement parts are nearly impossible to find given the popularity of the movement. Last time I just paid the watchmaker to get it repaired and working again: now it's time to get a proper service and cleaning. This was my grandfather's watch and it deserves respect.

My Seiko 7009-8210 probably needs service as well. I've had it for a couple of years and its not been in, and here lately it will die if it goes 24 hours without being worn (regardless of how wound up it is).

My Heimdallr Sharkey 6105-8110 homage is fine. Brand new and running an NH35A movement. No work required.

My antique Watham wristwatch, circa 1925, runs rather well if a bit fast, but it needs service since it's not been gone through in close to a century.
    My antique Elgin wristwatch, circa 1929, won't run for more than a few seconds even on a full wind. Watchmaker figured it's just dirty, and I'm inclined to believe him.
    Lastly, I have 2 antique Elgin pocket watches. My 16s, circa 1909, doesn't run for more that a few ticks, much like the Elgin wristwatch. Again, the watchmaker thinks it just needs a cleaning. My Elgin 18s circa 1921 runs and keeps time fantastically, and I intend to keep it that way by giving it the maintenance it deserves.

So yeah, no new stuff for me, just maintenance on what I have.

echo victor likes this.
  9. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

I think I’m done too. I’ve been shopping for a Doxa and a couple of chronographs, Speedy Reduced or a Zenith EP and even though the slush fund is healthy I just can’t seem to pull the trigger.

I can’t find anything in the affordable range that really interests me and not much interest in spending what it would take to buy something that does. That’s probably a sign that I’m done. Maybe a Garmin Instinct if a solar version is released.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  10. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I'm done for now as well. I expect my flock will get reduced as a couple reach the end of their battery life and because I either have a solar equivalent (e.g. both a battery and a solar version of the 'square' G-shock); or because the watches were so cheap that it isn't even worth bothering with a battery (Casio Worldtimer); and so on. One of my Seiko 5's no longer really keeps an effective power reserve -- a sort of basic dive model -- and service cost would equal replacing it; just not worth it.

OTOH, my Concord Mariner SG -- the same watch which a few months ago I was crowing about bringing back from the dead -- now has a new problem; and I just may bite that bullet and get it serviced... Its either that or a long list of house repairs (including varmint proofing the house against squirrels, raccoons, and birds! :(

Since including the now dead in the water Concord the flock has 9 members, thinning the ranks won't really be much of a hardship. And I suspect even those with batteries have quite a while to go!

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

jcombs and Tesla like this.
  11. Six String

Six String Loaded Pockets

No more new watches for me. If I were to name a grail, it would be a Daytona. But, since I’m too old to commence a career in bank robbery, it will remain a grail.

jcombs likes this.
  12. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

No more watches. My skx173 with metal bracelet ended it. Since I had that I never wore any other watch.

Lost it and bought a Orient Raven II Black.

Then I found the SKX again..

But the Raven gets all the wrist time since I have it.

No need for luxury watches.. I spend the money for flashlights now and will sell probably all other watches except these two and an old Seiko quartz dress watch from 1982 that I love.

Might get a cheap digital Casio for funsies, but that's it.

Moshe ben David and jcombs like this.
  13. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I got the laco watch, but in black.

[​IMG]

jcombs and Moshe ben David like this.