1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What is your next watch purchase?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Elmiro Dungfoot, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

I've narrowed it down to two choices. I've been wanting to get a Helm tooled diver. Curious to see what their new Komodo Dragon will look like from them. For those unfamiliar Helm is an ISO-certified micro-brand with a large following.

[​IMG]

My other choice would be a Glycine Combat Sub, I've been lusting for one for quite awhile now.

[​IMG]

JHGM, THX2008 and 0880 like this.
  2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Not that you asked, but if I were voting I'd go for the Glycine. I just like the look a whole lot better!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

3. Elmiro Dungfoot

As a veteran, I appreciate the military lineage of the Glycine. Not to mention the connection to aviation also. A lot depends on the availability of funds. ;) Cheers!!

4. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I have no idea yet.

Lost my laco pilot watch, just can't find it anywhere in my house.

I love simple watches with just the minutes or hour and none of the other clutter like dates.

Elmiro Dungfoot likes this.
  5. Moshe ben David

Don't worry. It is guaranteed to show up in the last place that you look. The late great George Carlin promised! :)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

ran23 and smokingfish like this.
  6. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I hope! I have looked in quite of lot of spaces and running out the spaces to look.
    Maybe I'll do a winter cleaning Haha!

7. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

I want this guy. 38mm manual wind mechanical watch with no date. :)

Hamilton 38mm field watch

[​IMG]

JeffVenture, THX2008, ran23 and 3 others like this.
  8. Elmiro Dungfoot

I can see why you like this one, it's a total classic.

9. karlito
    • +1 Supporter

karlito Loaded Pockets

Nice Khuraburi! I was looking hard at the Blue, but can't justify another watch. It's not too thick for you?

10. Elmiro Dungfoot

Currently, I have a Vostok-Europe that's 15mm thick, and a Deep Blue at 13mm. Usually I like watches. that are in the 42-44mm diameter dial range. So the answer would be 'no'. But, I'm not into stupidly-large watches. I have nothing-against those who want to make a statement though. I feel that if you 'like-it' it must be right for you.

[​IMG]

Moshe ben David likes this.
  11. MORT

MORT Empty Pockets

Mailman brought me a new watch yesterday, It cost .50 to cover postage, came with correct time on it. How can you beat that?

12. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

Not for me, but thinking of getting this for our son for his college graduation in December...

[​IMG]

Was thinking of a Seiko Presage, but it has a mineral glass crystal where the Citizen has a sapphire.

YankeeHotelFoxtrot likes this.
  13. Moshe ben David

@ghuns: IMNSHO, both Seiko and Citizen are good watches. But I think the Seiko Presage is a move up in the watch world; definitely a step up from the mass of Seiko model lines.

One concern I'd have for gifting an automatic watch to a young person. Let's face it - automatics do have some issues related to both accuracy and power reserve. Quartz beats them on both counts. And by the way -- for my own use I am a fan of automatics. But I have at least one that just doesn't have the power reserve to sometimes get through a day if it is a day where I'm less than active! :(. For myself I'm philosophical about it but I know my son for example would just get fed up real quick!

As far as the Seiko mineral glass crystal, I've several Seiko 5 Sports; the mineral glass has not been an issue on any. But of course EVERYONE's mileage will vary!

Congrats to you and your son on his upcoming graduation!

Moshe ben David

14. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

I have several autos, so he is well versed in the positives and negatives. His current watch is a Citizen ECO Drive we bought him for his 20th birthday. It has a sapphire crystal and doesn't have a single mark. I have an old ECO drive with mineral glass and it's barely readable from all the scratches. I can't count the number of times I've banged my Seamaster on something and was afraid to look at it, only to find no mark at all. So I'm a big believer in sapphire.

I imagine he'll wear this as more of a "dress" watch, but he's too much like me. He'll forget to change it and end up working on a car, or wearing it to his job for a company that sells construction tools and bump into something on some jobsite.:rolleyes:

Side note; you know what will destroy ANY watch crystal, sapphire or mineral glass, in a single glancing blow?

The unfinished porcelain on the inside of a toilet tank. Don't ask how I know.:(

0880, Moshe ben David and ran23 like this.
  15. 0880

0880 Loaded Pockets

I vote for the Helm Khuraburi. I've always been a sucker for a nice tool diver and that one is very "toolsy".

As for myself, I've been lusting for the Seiko Transocean Blue for awhile now.

[​IMG]

I love everything about it, except that the bracelet isn't replaceable with something else. It's Diashield coated so hopefully it will stay nice for a long time.
    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8

Last edited by 0880, Nov 24, 2018
    #15 0880, Nov 24, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  16. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

Kid's graduation present showed up today. Macy's had a good sale on it for Black Friday. UPS chucked by the backdoor in the freakin snow.:eek:

Fortunately, it comes in quite the box, in a box, in a box...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can't take a decent pic of it with our kitchen lights. Way too shiny...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had to try it on, for sizing purposes of course...

[​IMG]

The back is very nice. Really cool decorated rotor...

[​IMG]

The band is as silky smooth as any metal bracelet I've ever worn. Very pleased with it. Hope the kid likes as much as I do.

17. Elmiro Dungfoot

I've been looking at the Squale's for some time. Especially, the 1521. I'm not that much into quartz-movements, but the Vic INOX fascinates me too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

19. Moshe ben David

If you look up 'classic watch' in a dictionary, this should be the illustration.... :)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

20. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

Just a follow up on my purchase. I have it for maybe 2 months already. Such a fun watch to wear. :)

[​IMG]