1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What is your MultiTool Break-in Procedure?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Stryker, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Stryker

Stryker Loaded Pockets

What is your procedure when you get a new multitool? After I unbox my new acquisition I check the function of all moving parts and clean/lubricate as needed. I try to avold this lubricants that leave a dirt attracting residue and wipe it down with a soft cloth. Lastly, I sharpen any blades as needed. If the cleaning/lubrication doesn’t loosen the action of moving parts I move them throughout their range of motion repetitively to loosen them up.

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Other than making sure blades are sharp I've never really done anything. I figure unlike any of my knives a lightning quick opening on a MT isn't really an issue. At least not for me.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

garza, smokingfish and Wishoot like this.
  3. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Step 1:purchase.
    Step 2: unbox.
    Step 3: place on belt.
    Step 4: use and abuse in daily life.
    Step 5: repeat steps 3 and 4.

4. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Fiddle, play and tinker with it till the wife tells me to put it away. It gives me a 'feel' for the tool and ill know faster if something is wrong with it (might need a lube, something might require sharpening or a bur might need toning down for example).

Moshe ben David likes this.
  5. eugenechia1989

eugenechia1989 Loaded Pockets

1. Take it back out of the box. I already unboxed it in the store to check it before buying, I just tend to put it back in the box so I can re-live the experience of unboxing it once I get back home.

2. Wipe off excess oil, and try to clean up any gunk or dirt on it. My Victorinox SAKs came nice and clean out of their boxes, whereas my Leatherman Surge came with quite a bit of oil all over it. Of course, this step's well worth the effort to avoid having to deal with rust so quickly. All things considered, I still like Leatherman's 420HC a lot more than Victorinox steel, even though I do expect it to rust a bit more readily.

3. Re-lube with Victorinox multi-tool oil. Thick, food-safe, easy to apply, and you don't have to use a lot of it.

4. Sharpen knife blades if necessary. If it's already shaving sharp, I'm happy. I don't mess with re-profiling, edge angles or polishing right out of the box. It'll eventually become polished as I use and re-sharpen it over time. If I do have to sharpen it, I'll make it shaving sharp, but I won't go all the way and polish the edge because it will eventually become polished anyway.

5. Place it in plain sight so I can keep fondling it and looking at this great new thing I've just bought.

6. Use it when the opportunity arises!

6. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

Even automobile engines no longer require breaking in. Essentially, a multi-tool is an accessorized pair of pliers. I'd simply use it, sharpen when blunt and lubricate if circumstances dictate.

7. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I will make sure everything works, adjust pivots if needed, and lubricate with Tuff Glide and a Tuff Cloth. I’ve yet to buy a multitool with a knife blade that needed sharpening out of the box, but I also have been carrying a dedicated knife since I was about ten years old.

8. glssman

glssman Empty Pockets

I bought a new LM Surge, and it was very stiff. I had to open and close it for a few days whenever I had time to sit in front of the desk.
    It got a lot better now, but it also has taken off some BO finish on the plier jaws.

9. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I like that they come tight, my ps4 squirt is at least 4 or 5 years old and still has good tightness to them but not hard to use.

10. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Good....but I go straight to #6...:cool: