1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What is your go-to antiseptic?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by thegrouch314, Mar 22, 2019.

1. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

Out of curiosity which antiseptic do you catch yourself reaching for most to clean up a minor cut?

I always go for iodine these days. It's cheap, easily available and doesn't contribute to antibiotic resistance. It also doesn't slow down wound healing like alcohol does, and it doesn't sting.

2. Treya

Treya Loaded Pockets

Small stuff just soap and water, bigger stuff usually gets flushed out with hydrogen peroxide and depending on the type of wound I might use iodine.

Sometimes if it needs a dressing over a few days I use a medihoney adhesive dressing as it is mostly water resistant and my skin doesn't react to the adhesive, honey supposedly has some antibacterial properties as well. Change and clean as needed.

If its something like a wound on a foot depending on severity and type it gets soaked in warm to hot water with heaps of sea salt and a few drops of tea tree oil, then flushed again with hydrogen peroxide and if needed some iodine and dressed. If the wound bled freely enough and is clean I tend to leave it and pull skin closed if possible (steristrips) till it stops bleeding and assess.

Combinations of any of the above or not bother apart from soap and water.

When I grew up it was either friars balsam (benzoin tincture) or metholated spirits to "dry" the wound. I tended to not make any fuss if I got hurt to avoid the metho treatment.

FiaOlleDog, ran23 and thegrouch314 like this.
  3. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I like honey as well, particularly for grazes to keep them moist. I've not heard of using metholated spirits to dry a wound before. Sounds paintful

4. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

Soap and water.

Jedi5150 likes this.
  5. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I never use antiseptic to clean wounds. Antiseptics can damage tissue. The best cleaner is good old soap and water. If infection is a concern after that, a little triple antibiotic ointment (like Neosporin) on the Band-Aid or dressing takes care of it.

Outbound and volvoboy like this.
  6. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Usually soap and water followed by some iodine.

Jedi5150 likes this.
  7. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

I will initially clean a wound with soap and water followed by peroxide but after that I just keep it covered.

8. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Loaded Pockets

Ditto. Soap and water, followed by iodine.

From what I understand, Iodine (mixed with saline) is non-toxic. I know when I did a rotation in the OR, they used the iodine/ NS mix very liberally, even in deep, large wounds. I guess I figured if it's safe enough for use in the OR, it should be safe enough for me in the field. And as a side note, there were no precise measurements; the doc just dumped copious amounts of saline and iodine into a bowl.

ProjeKtWEREWOLF and SOS24 like this.
  9. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

Soap and water. I have Iodine Povidine in a small dropper bottle too (in my blowout FAK).

Jedi5150 likes this.
  10. sbillard

sbillard Loaded Pockets

Chlorexidine

11. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

If we are talking cuts and scrapes from working in the yard and such, I wash the area with a benzalkonium chloride solution.

I usually have a small bottle of solution around the house in the garage, near the wash tub or garden hose.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

volvoboy likes this.