1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What is your favorite victorinox SAK?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by darkhalo, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

You're whetting my appetite, Dictatortot!:) That is something I would love to do.

dictatortot likes this.
  2. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

My fave is definitely the Swisschamp. I've yet to encounter a job that it isn't up to.

Stranger likes this.
  3. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

I wore out the metal saw on the first one from my 20s. Then the next one just looked like it had seen some miles, so I retired it to home use and started carrying a new one. I had a red one in storage for future use, but I put it in a passaround box. I have two more brand new black ones in storage in case I lose my EDC, or I break a tool.

4. Viper101

Viper101 Loaded Pockets

Recruit as its the only one I have. Wish it had an awl and screwdriver though. Add those two things and it would be perfect.

5. Vsegda gotov

Vsegda gotov Loaded Pockets

The Tinker is the Recruit with a back layer awl and phillips, it is available in 84mm or 91mm size.

My current favourite two layers are the Scientist and Tinker, and three layers are the Yeoman and Mechanic. Don't pocket carry any SAKs over three layer.

6. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

When I got my first Leatherman PST and started carrying it on my belt, and the Swiss Champ in my left hip pocket, I probably wore a hole in the pocket. Anyway, I remember realizing early on that I needed to carry the Swiss Champ in its nylon sheath in my pocket. This sheath has to be over 25 years old now:
    [​IMG]
    In all those years, I think I've worn a hole in the pocket of two pairs of jeans, but in each case, it took a very long time. What I've learned is that nylon does not wear a hole in denim any more than your own skin. Anyone who wants to carry metal objects in their pockets should keep them in a nylon carry device.

I intend to carry a Crunch, also in its sheath, beside this Swiss Champ. The Crunch is thin, so I don't think it will cause a problem with sitting. The Swiss Champ is always on the far left of the pocket, and always vertical. Now if I could just figure out a convenient way of carrying a lighter. I'm thinking of getting a nylon sheath made that stores a Swiss Champ on the left, a Crunch on the right, and a lighter in the middle, all in their separate compartments.

7. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

8. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Blimey, would you say that you had cut a LOT of metal with that saw then? Was it sheet metal or solid bar type of stuff??

My wife has a go at me if I keep spares/back up's of exactly the same thing,........good on you though.:)

9. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I bought a Crunch years ago, the leather pouch that it came in was excellent for wear and tear, I've worn it on my belt for many many years, funny enough I just replaced it, it were just looking a bit tatty, no holes or splits and the popper still works fine.
    On the other side of my belt I have a Swisstool again in a leather pouch, another top quality made item. I do have some other multi tools in nylon type pouches but I'm not that keen on them to be honest, although if I were pocket carrying them that maybe a different story??

10. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

The only thing I remember cutting was a steel rod at work one time. It was the hard wire type that you can't bend easily, and you can make great hooks out of it if you need to. I shouldn't have done it; there were factory tools to use, but it would have taken time to find them, and we wanted the rod cut right away. Also, I was just thrilled that I had a chance to use my SAK.

I think that first Swiss Champ got stolen or lost. I had retired that one to my glove box for travelling emergencies. The second one is waiting to be sent off to Toronto for maintenance.

About 5 years ago when I was buying one Swiss Champ after the other on eBay, I was buying them for $50 or $55 each. Now the cheapest is $75 plus shipping.

11. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

I wore my first PST in its brown leather sheath for several years, until Leatherman came out with their first nylon sheath. That was the end of the leather for me.

I have a black leather Zermatt sheath for the Swiss Champ too, but I've never used it.

12. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Ah that's a real shame, especially when there were more suitable factory tools around at the time. I know what you mean about being thrilled to use it, sadly you have to be very careful about pulling out such personal items at work now a days or you might get "Why have you brought a weapon to work" or other such similar comment,....well here in the UK at least.

13. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

Thankfully, the pocket-clip-knife style knife in the pocket has become the norm for men all over now, so it's not an issue here. The knife on the belt is a step out of the norm, but still doesn't raise eyebrows. Two sheaths on your belt starts to become an issue. Then it looks like "you've got something goin' on." That's why I have to carry the Swiss Champ in my pocket. No one sees it unless I take it out to use it. It would be the same with a Crunch, when I get one.

I carried a MiniMag in a Bianchi Accumold holster for 20 years or so. I stopped because LED penlights became available, and they don't attract attention. I want to buy a Rofis JR10 and wear that on my belt again.

14. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Have you looked at the Thrunite TN20? Is this essentially the same thing??

Stranger likes this.
  15. LC Ray

LC Ray Loaded Pockets

Favorite non keychain SAK is a Vic Tinker
    Coupled with always carried, Classic, on keychain I am pretty well covered in daily needs

16. muffinkat

muffinkat Loaded Pockets

My favs are an alox minichamp or a plastic rambler (if i want it a little lighter) for keys.
    Pioneer for urban, farmer for outdoor.
    Solo (eco) and grafting knife for playing god in the garden ;)
    All of them have pocket clips...those things make vic the bomb!

[​IMG]

Sriracha and gibbsrule9 like this.
  17. gemini
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

gemini Frog Eggs

Last edited by gemini, Feb 3, 2016
  18. GADGET982

GADGET982 Loaded Pockets

I have two:

Vic Farmer and my new Vic Evo 18.

Cheers,

Gadget

19. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Tinker!
    However the Wenger Evowood S557 (now the Victorinox Delemont Evowood S557) is winning me over quickly.

20. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

A sharpening tutorial might be helpful.

gemini likes this.