1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What is your favorite victorinox SAK?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by darkhalo, Jul 20, 2014.

1. O_G

O_G Loaded Pockets

I wondered the exact same thing. I had a Midnight Manager with stock red scales & a Signature Lite (pictured above) with clear scales - the beam was terrible on both!!! It wasnt even a beam. It was yellow/green/redish tinted. Beam was a squarish shape full of dark spots and lines and rings. The scales get in the way of the led bulb. So its not a circle like you would imagine. The brightness was pretty low too. Having the light built in makes the scale really thick too! In my picture above you can see how the signature lite (classic) with 3 tools + a flashlight scale make it thicker than my alox MiniChamp with wayyy more tools.

Victorinox's built into the scale led light gets a thumbs down from me lol

No Agenda and Stranger like this.
  2. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Combining functions is not always a good thing. You need the two to be separate for those times you will have to hold the light in one hand while working on something with the SAK. That will happen, depend on it. Also, a Photon is so easy to carry and a much better light.

No Agenda, Stranger and MrOG like this.
  3. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

I had a Photon when they first came out, and I bought one for a friend for his birthday. The battery died in mine and I never replaced it. For the past several years I've carried a Streamlight Keymate on my keys. I haven't used the Photon in about 10 years, I think. I'm sure the newer ones are a lot better. I would like one with a 'clicky' switch - on until I press the button again to turn it off. Is the Micro Light II Pro like that? I never liked having to hold the button down to keep the light on, and the switch is hard to operate.

4. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Mine is the Photon Freedom, which has been reliable for several years now. I like its versatility, throwing out just enough light for the purpose by simple a press and hold, or you can click it full on or off. For a time it was my everywhere EDC coupled to a Rambler with a NiteIze S binner, but lately I have switched to a Fenix EO1 for daily duty. I still carry the Photon at home, though, especially when padding around the house at night. The lowest power allows me to navigate the floors in darkness without waking my wife or stepping on the cat.

Last edited by znapschatz, Sep 20, 2014
    Stranger likes this.
  5. VinceRN

VinceRN Loaded Pockets

My favorite would be the little classic. I really don't find the blades and tools on the larger models substantial enough to use for anything serious. For the old MacGyver SAK stuff I now carry a multitool, but I still love the little one for opening packages and doing things at work and stuff where people might freak a little if I pulled out a bigger blade.

Years ago it would have been the tinker one, and I still have two or three of those around the house.

Sent from my mind using Tapatalk HD

MrOG likes this.
  6. Bloke

Bloke Loaded Pockets

My minichamp is the model with a pen built into the scale instead of a light. I've only had it a week and used the pen a lot. Very very handy!

And I agree with others who say to carry a photon or similar simply because they are so tiny and still reasonably bright.
    I've never read a good review of the built in lights in SAK's :)

Stranger likes this.
  7. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

At the moment I love my GAK. All the main tools pivot from one side, and the fact it is 108mm over the standard 91mm I own makes it feel like the one SAK I can abuse if required.

8. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

I'd like some opinions here:

Alox Farmer or Alox Pioneer?

Can someone post a pic of the two side-by-side, from a side view? I would like to see the difference in thickness. I like both, and I'm torn between the two. I know the only difference is the saw.

It's a 91mm, and seems a little big for my keychain. The Mini Champ seems to be a better choice, size-wise.

9. Bloke

Bloke Loaded Pockets

I haven't got any pics but I used google to do a search for this question and came up with this thread which shows pics of relative thicknesses
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/314512-Victorinox-Farmer

10. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

I agree with a lot of the commenters: I wish there was a version of the Farmer with scissors.

Sriracha likes this.
  11. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Cadet and Bantam in Alox.

Compact, Climber, and Explorer in Celidor.

I still maintain Wenger makes superior small knives. The Micro Tool Box is the best small SAK I have ever owned. To be fair, I haven't held an Alox Minichamp in my hands yet, so this is subject to change, but the tool selection in the Wenger is perfect for me. Maybe if I ground down the coke spoon into an awl...

12. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

This is the reason I still carry the 91mm line. I would also love an Alox version of a Compact. That would be sweet!

dictatortot likes this.
  13. figuy

figuy Loaded Pockets

Manager

MrOG likes this.
  14. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Swisschamp
    Explorer Plus
    Craftsman
    Deluxe Tinker

The above are my favorites and I've been carrying one or the other since 2007.

15. sliverhawk

sliverhawk Loaded Pockets

Mountaineer
    Pioneer
    Cadet

16. dictatortot
    • In Omnia Paratus

dictatortot Loaded Pockets

Agreed! Love the compact, but I prefer the way alox feels and wears over time.

I've got an Urban Pioneer PhD on order from Syph007. Can't wait to get that in my pocket. It might be the only knife that'll get me to put down my Vic Compact.

17. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Trekker NS Camo. I for years had a non-locking blade and my fingers suffered because of it. So getting a locking version plus with a lefty release was a significant improvement.

18. Cave_Dweller

Cave_Dweller Empty Pockets

This. Only 2 layers, so it's comfortable in most any pocket, and it has most of the tools I need most often. I'd trade the hook for a Philips driver, but you can't have everything!

dictatortot likes this.
  19. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

How comes you are on your 3rd? Any particular attachment breaking or are you just losing or wearing them out??

20. dictatortot
    • In Omnia Paratus

dictatortot Loaded Pockets

I'm far from handy but was able to cannibalize the brass rod and Phillips out of a Super Tinker and put them on the Compact without too much fuss. Highly recommend this mod for fans of the Compact.
    [​IMG]

I used a Dremel tool to grind off the rivet head on the center pin, and a center punch and a hammer to tap the rivet out. I swapped the Phillips in and held everything in place with a vice. Then I inserted the brass pin from the Super Tinker back in. I tapped a new rivet head with a ball peen hammer before popping the scales back on. Everything fit nice and tight with no wiggle room. It still has that nice Victorinox snap when you open and close it.