1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What is your Favorite Lock Mechanism?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by A144, Aug 5, 2013.

1. bh49

bh49 Loaded Pockets

Lock is not the most important parts of a knife for me. I am buying knives, when I like overall design. Somehow it is happened that all of my EDC are backlocks or midlocks. I found this lock easy to operate and I like it a lot. Second favorite would be ball-lock and Axis. I do not have much problem with compression, liner or frame locks either.

2. bcWRX-02

bcWRX-02 Loaded Pockets

Once you get used to the CRKT Auto-Lawks, it's not bad at all. Even as a lefty, I can open and close my M16-13ZLEK as fast and fluently as any other liner lock, one handed. The added piece of mind that it gives is nice too. IMO, the M16 series are an underrated knife that are very reasonably priced.

From a lefty perspective, the benchmade axis and any of the spyderco lockbacks are great. Most liner locks are good too, however I have a hard time with frame locks. I desperately wanted to get a ZT, but found the beefy frame lock on them to be almost impossible left handed.

PaBushcrafter4659 likes this.
  3. EchoFox

EchoFox Loaded Pockets

Perfect thread for a poll imo.

That being said I prefer axis style locks the most and lock backs the least. I can't stand them.

4. Twigs

Twigs Loaded Pockets

Locks I have experience with

Liner
    Frame
    (Caged) Ball
    Bolt Action
    Latch
    Compression
    Lockback

I think my favorites are the Caged/Bare Ball Lock, Bolt Action, Compression Lock
    There is something to be said for a nice slipjoint though. I think as long as the detent is strong and the back spring is strong there's not much to worry about. I like half-stops on slipjoints.
    my least favorite is the lockback, but it's not like I would be turned away from a knife if its a lockback.

5. jacobwilson99

jacobwilson99 Loaded Pockets

For strength and use: Compression.
    For aesthetic: Framelock.

6. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Anybody got a picture of something with a Compression lock? And a bolt action lock?
    Never seen either...

7. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

Frame and liner locks are tied in first for their simplicity for me. Liners get a bad rap due to all the cheap rubbish knives out there using them. As for why Emerson knives need occasional lock replacement, this was never an issue until the wave feature was implemented. The wave really puts a lot of wear on any lock, HD-7 owners have to send their knives in if they wave them a lot, too.

8. chrisk91

chrisk91 Loaded Pockets

Compression lock, frame lock, then Axis lock in that order. For me, speed and strength on these lock types are perfect. There are stronger locks (Demko Triad), but I'm not doing anything with my folding knives that I should be doing with a fixed blade.

9. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Hmm, and I'd I'd think Marcus more goes with a Super Sledge, or maybe a Turbo Plasma, but to see him using a tiny pocket knife, I donno... :p
    (just replaying F2, as there's no other good RPGs out there)

bh49 likes this.
  10. Swatsonia

Swatsonia Loaded Pockets

I'm a lockback/liner lock fan. Slipjoints and Opinel locks are up there too.

11. Ronin87

Ronin87 Loaded Pockets

Lockback for me, but I do have a few liner locks

12. Yeti-

Yeti- Loaded Pockets

Opinel Locking ring.

Its just so simple, and you can lock the blade shut if needs be.

MikeFromGermany likes this.
  13. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

Triad lock, Framelock, Axis lock. Honestly I think the twist lock as in the Opinels is the strongest. However not many cool knives have that lock:p. Balisongs are also very strong when locked.

14. bh49

bh49 Loaded Pockets

pocket knife doesn't have to be tiny :)
    F2 is one of the games I am keeping to come back again and again. And of cause there is nobody as colorful as Marcus :). He loves his plasma gun, but certainly has Spydie in his pocket and may be more than one. Just in case, if he needs to cut something.

15. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I guess for Marcus it more has to be a folding machete then, but what kind of lock? Friction folder? :p
    Right now I just arrived at The Den, 1/2h per day isn't really enough for that big world.
    Darn, I hat those stealing kids, gonna go to see Tubby and Flick soon.
    By the way, is there a way to make the elevator work in the Toxic Caves??
    (I use the inofficial patch and the Restoration Mod)