1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What is your favoirte watch around 200$??

Discussion in 'Watches' started by bubbaskyjacker, Mar 15, 2008.

1. bubbaskyjacker

bubbaskyjacker Loaded Pockets

What is your favoirte watch around 200$?? ?? anolog digital it doesnt matter. im looking at getting a new watch but there are so many out there :brickwall: let me know what you like . thanks for your time

2. Smith357

Smith357 Empty Pockets

Re: What is the best watch under 200$??

What style of watch?? And what is the intended use?? There are so many if you could narrow it down a bit it would be helpful.

The following are just a few
    Jacques Lemans F1 - Cronograph
    Bulova Marine Star - Diver
    Hamilton Khaki - Military
    Seiko Monster - Diver
    Wenger Commando - Military

3. LZ

LZ Loaded Pockets

In the Diver Category I highly recommend the Seiko Skx007 or the Skx009....both excellent value!

4. MattR

MattR Loaded Pockets

Seiko Black Monster X2!! on a black or orange Maratac. I have been wearing one for a month or so now on a black zulu. Hands down the most watch you will get for under $200 w/ automatic movement (which is quite accurate and has the reputation to back it up) and legendary Seiko Lume, water resis to 200m as well.

Matt

5. copierguy_mobile

copierguy_mobile Loaded Pockets

6. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Re: What is your favorite watch around 200$??

The Seiko Monsters are great bang for the buck watches - probably the best lume out of any watch less than $1k, a very high quality bracelet, and a unique rugged design - assuming you can get past the weight and its looks. I had both the Orange and the Black but I couldn't get past the weight; it felt like a boat anchor on my wrist.

I would put the Citizen NY0045 diver ahead of the Seiko SKX007 divers; I've had both and still have the Citizen. It has a great left-handed crown, chromed indices, and windable movement. The Seiko is better made though, and has a slight edge in lume.

All of these are automatic diver watches and are nowhere near $200.

7. peacefuljeffrey

Well, I don't have this one yet, but I plan to get it eventually. It's a Timex Ironman Solar.

I like the idea that it's solar but doesn't have that annoying atomic setting thingie that the Casios have. I don't want more electronic gobbledegook inside the watch than it needs. I'm a crotchety old-timer and I look at that as something else that can fail. This watch is also shock-resistant, so essentially it's like a Timex version of a Casion G-Shock without the atomic deal. I've seen it retailing at The Sports Authority for about $100. Seems pretty reasonable, and you get a lot of watch for that (well under $200)!

I stay away from analog watches, and in particular, I loathe analog/digital combos. YUCK!! :thumbsdown:

8. Lifesaver

Lifesaver Empty Pockets

My wife recently got me a Stauer Monaco. It is a very nice, automatic watch; and, well within the price range set. I've had no problems with is since getting it.

9. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

That ad copy is dreadful: "All the qualities of a $26,000 Swiss automatic watch for less than $150..."

10. peacefuljeffrey

Why is that dreadful?

Sounds like a bargain! :idiot2:

One could take the savings and buy a Volvo or something! :laugh:

11. Smith357

Smith357 Empty Pockets

If you have ever looked at $28,000 Swiss timepieces it's very plain that the Chinese watches are not even close. Don't get me wrong the Chinese are making some good movements for the money, but the Swiss makers like Breguet, Petek Phillip, Audemars Piguet, Girard Perregaux, and other give you solid gold or platinum cases, hand engraved hand made movements, and real guilloche dials for your 28K, and if you are lucky you might get one discounted down to 22K.

The over inflated retail price is common for the internet watch makers. Brands like S.U.G., Luis Bolle, Romilly, and Jenerette are all Chinese watches that sell all day long on Ebay in the $100 neighborhood but have inflated retail values of 2-5000 dollars to make the buyer think he's getting a super deal. The watches are worth the $100 but not much more.

12. icqcq

icqcq Loaded Pockets

OK, I'll weigh in.

For me, the point of a watch is to tell me the time. Function first. There are lots of snazzy-looking pieces out there, but most start moving away from the function of time-keeping. The most legible watch I've ever found is no longer in production, but shows up periodically on eBay: the Swiss Army Recon. There were two versions: the first, with a big triangle hour hand, and the second, with a small triangle hour hand. The proportions on the second one are bad, and compromise the legibility. As fair warning, of the five I've owned, two had bad movements (and I lost one [*)@#!@], but still have two good functional ones), and were returned for functioning watches. The ones on eBay are usually going for $60, which is a good deal; I paid $140 for my second keeper.

The lume is good (enough)(for me), and I've only managed to scratch the crystal on one once. Timekeeping is accurate. The band is way too thick, and drove me crazy until I picked up a Maratac Silicone Deployment band, which matches the original for color & texture, but is much more comfortable to wear.

As for legibility? People like me because I wear it to meetings and it doesn't matter how far away from me they're sitting, they can read the watch. I keep my second one in my office as a clock, and have no problem reading it from across the room. You can even read it at oblique angles (up to maybe 75degrees?) from the watch face.

The only other watch I've found that comes close is the Ollech&Wajs Ocean Master, which is a hand-wind, and just outside of your stated spendrange.

eBay Recon

O&W OceanMaster

If you like digitals, sounds like a GShock would be a good choice, but they're not exactly purty. A handsome analog, on the other hand....

13. southernfolkart

southernfolkart Empty Pockets

I have been wearing watches by Festina. I have 2 stainless and a titanium. My stainless watch has been on my arm for 8 years, been through everything from crawling under a lawn mower to change blades to being under water. They are beautiful watches, ruggedly built. Also the batteries last for over 2 years. They also offer a self winding mechanism. The titanium is nice, but I prefer a little more weight on my arm.
    Check them out on ebay, you can get a really good deal.

14. gan1hck

gan1hck Loaded Pockets

Casio paw-1300....on a titanium bracelet....It does EVERYTHING.

time...with atomic synchronization capability
    compass
    altimeter
    barometer
    temperature
    stopwatch
    count down timer
    multiple time zones
    alarm
    solar powered

15. swatz

swatz Loaded Pockets

I would also recommend the SKX007, they regularly go for around $135.00 shipped on Ebay, they are gray market, but I have experienced no problems nor have any of my friends..great watch, not as big as the Monster series, which I like...look for a seller named "pokemonyu"
    Steve

16. Co_Outdoorsman

Co_Outdoorsman Loaded Pockets

Little over at retail but if you shop around you can find em within the 200 ceiling...

Suunto Core... absolutely freaking love mine... took it to the top of a Colorado pass, sign read 9165 ft and the watch read 9163... two feet off, this kinda error I can live with... :woohoo:

17. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I was getting a battery replaced on my gift Citizen. the Eco-Drive gold date watch looked like a nice daily office wear. $170 I think. Is this a decent daily under $200 watch?? It is time I start buying watches for myself, this looks like a good start.

18. bubbaskyjacker

bubbaskyjacker Loaded Pockets

thanks for all your help. i really like the monster's there are alot of good watches out there for different occasions. another addiction.......... this should be called the everyday addication forum.

19. meeshi_ma

meeshi_ma Loaded Pockets

Amen - I'll second that name change!

-Brian

20. stronzza

stronzza Loaded Pockets

+1 for the Seiko Monsters....or a few more bucks, the Orsa Monstrums are very nice.