1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What is your EDC knife, right now? (Chapter 11)

Discussion in 'Knives' started by cowsmilk, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

Most of my blades fall-into three distinct classes: beaters, EDC's, and semi-custom show-knives. Personally, I don't give-a-hoot what people do, or don't do with their equipment. It's entirely up-to-them, regarding their usage and care. I can understand, not wanting to bust-up $300-$400 dollar blades. I have plenty of utility-knives for the gritty-tasks at-hand. Everyone has different 'comfort-levels', and the dollar-value they put on things. Most of my knives are augments to my primary-arm, a pistol of some type. Basically, a 'break-class-in-case-of-emergency' item. I've got hard-use Bucks, in my collection that are forty-years old, and still look as good as the day I bought them.
    A little Swiss Army jack does most of the 'pocket-chores' that present themselves. Mostly scissors, and main-blade. I just roll-with-it.

#12621 Elmiro Dungfoot, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  2. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

In my case it's due to rotation. Some of us have dozens or hundreds of knives. They may all get used but not every single day so they typically stay looking fairly pristine. I also have beaters and dedicated knives in my shops and vehicles, for yard work, etc. They aren't EDC knives as they stay in their environments but they aren't pretty. Finally, some, like myself, carry 2 or 3 knives at time. I'll have a larger flipper, a 3 or 4 layer SAK and a traditional. Each get used for different purposes. So...lots of answers and everybody does their own thing. That said, I like a clean, well cared for knife.

tde, Moose, Lateck and 4 others like this.
  3. victograph

victograph Loaded Pockets

I have posted photos of the same knives I carry over time and don’t really do much of a rotation. With me daily are the bugout and small sak. On my belt is my fenix pd 25, which had had daily use for 3 years. The bugout gets a weekly cleaning edge check and oil. I think many of the knives shown are at different stages of wear, but stay looking good because of the care given to them by owner. They are a tool, which if cared for wears well.
    I learned that lesson with my knife carrying a kershaw ken onion which without thinking I used to pry a board. SNAP. The blade broke. I sent it into kershaw for repair and haven’t done that with a knife since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. brano8
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

brano8 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

5. EMarkM

EMarkM Loaded Pockets

My carry will no doubt change throughout the day as it often does, but we start off with Rambler on the keyring, and Alox Cadet in-pouch, in-pocket (my usual carry method for my pocket knives).

Within a few minutes of waking, Cadet’s screwdriver tip already put to use adjusting the flow rate on the cold water tap at the bathroom basin.

It’s going to be a good day [​IMG]

6. EMarkM

EMarkM Loaded Pockets

Erm, also used for removing the glue from the tail of a newly-hatched unicorn, fresh out of the shell.

Yeah, probably best to not ask too many questions about that one...

[​IMG]

7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]

Hagbard81, Arick, Moose and 8 others like this.
  8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Mid - week rotation change. We're also finally venturing out to do a bit of shopping. Our self-inflicted 'quarantine' as recent 'refugees' from NYC is FINALLY over :):
    • LF pocket, on Pangea Ti Pickpocket dangler: LM Squirt PS4. The blade is 420HC; 1.6". This one is just about ALWAYS with me, unless for some bizarre reason I'm wearing a suit -- which I usually successfully avoid these days!

[​IMG]
    • On my car ignition key ring: a classic, the 'Christy knife'; small knife guys know this one. (See also the company website, https://www.christycompany.net/history-of-the-christy-knife-company). This is absolutely a simple keychain knife: body 3 3/8", blade 3/8" x 1 7/8" x 0.025": 'surgical steel'. Here is a pic from the website:

[​IMG]

• RF pocket, in a leather slip case: Case Barlow Old Red Bone 'Shot Show 2019 Exclusive'; dark red covers with standard jigging and 'Case' superimposed over stars & stripes on bolster; #10673, pattern #62009 1/2SS; 2 1/2" clip point; 2 1/8" pen blade; both blades 'TruSharp SS; FFG.
      [​IMG]
      Yes, I did buy it from DLT ;). Really good service - and both blades arrived sharp! :)

• In the '5th pocket': Spyderco Ladybug Salt LYLS3; yellow FRN handle; lock back; 1 7/8" H1 leaf shaped blade, hollow grind SE:
      [​IMG]

• Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

9. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

Thank you @Moshe ben David for the information on the Christy knife. Looks very interesting. I ordered one, not very expensive.

10. jds1

jds1 Loaded Pockets

Just arrived today, so it’ll be this one for a while. Super light, very sharp and smooth opening right from the box.

[​IMG]

Jeff

CSG, mrtwohands, FilthyJ24 and 11 others like this.
  11. Longbob

Longbob Loaded Pockets

Carrying an old classic that I had in the knife drawer.
    Deep carry but always forget how beefy this thing is!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kye4some, Hagbard81, Moose and 6 others like this.
  12. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Check the work knife thread.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

13. troutster52

troutster52 Loaded Pockets

I use mine quite a bit which is why I oogle over the ornate spendy stuff but never buy it. I cycle through the kershaw cryo, gerber air ranger, and gerber parafame, and they all look pretty used because they are. I also carry the gerber multi tool in holster when fishing and that thing has just about worn out its holster. When I post a pic on here though I wipe it off with a little gun oil first.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  14. Moose

Moose Loaded Pockets

My new countryside edc (mini Presidio 2), my old countryside edc (original Presidio) and my urban edc (ATS JE Made slipjoint)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Water-Rat, Hagbard81, Lateck and 5 others like this.
  15. Moshe ben David

My pleasure. Hope you like it.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

16. sl66ICEcuba

sl66ICEcuba Loaded Pockets

Been a while since this has seen some pocket time[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

brano8, Hagbard81, Lateck and 6 others like this.
  17. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Same here!

[​IMG]

Hagbard81, Lateck, Arick and 4 others like this.
  18. Moshe ben David

It is Saturday night and I'm bored. So what better to do than survey the blade boxes and select how to start another week of shelter in place?
    • LF pocket, on Pangea Ti Pickpocket dangler: LM Squirt PS4. The blade is 420HC; 1.6". This one is just about ALWAYS with me, unless for some bizarre reason I'm wearing a suit -- which I usually successfully avoid these days!

[​IMG]
    • On my car ignition key ring: a classic, the 'Christy knife'; small knife guys know this one. (See also the company website, https://www.christycompany.net/history-of-the-christy-knife-company). This is absolutely a simple keychain knife: body 3 3/8", blade 3/8" x 1 7/8" x 0.025": 'surgical steel'. Here is a pic from the website:

[​IMG]

• RF pocket, tip up (a change for me; usually I am tip down!), on its clip: Spyderco Tasman Salt Hawk, C106SYL; yellow FRN handle; lock back; 2 7/8" H1 hawkbill polished hollow grind SE. Most of my SE blades are very much on the small side; but not this one! When I got it I tried it out slicing up an old sweatshirt -- like going through butter. And then it bit me just to let me know what it was. That was a couple of years ago... I don't have that many blades that I consider 'bad-:censored:' but this one IMHO could be...:)
      [​IMG]
      In case anyone is mildly curious, Spyderco discontinued this model as of 2018 :(

• In the '5th pocket': Cold Steel Micro Recon 1 #27TDT; black handle, Tri-Ad lock; 2" black coated AUS-8A Hollow Grind PE Tanto.
      [​IMG]

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

Hagbard81, Arick and That Movie Guy like this.
  19. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

20. ShortRound131

ShortRound131 Loaded Pockets