1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What is your EDC knife, right now? (Chapter 11)

Discussion in 'Knives' started by cowsmilk, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

GaryMc likes this.
  2. Jeckyl1978

Jeckyl1978 Loaded Pockets

My EDC at the moment. A spider monkey really love it !!
    [​IMG]

3. Jesus™

Jesus™ Loaded Pockets

Any time lol! Trust me, you'll love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Schrade+ USA 3OT. Used it to cut roast into bite size pieces.

5. Barbourman04

Barbourman04 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    I fixed the crappy edges on these blades. Awesome now. But I feel I've started something bad. I want more case knives now lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Water-Rat, Gary Gross, Dombe and 2 others like this.
  6. Drew Whitehead

Drew Whitehead Loaded Pockets

I always want more Case knives.

chanroc and Gary Gross like this.
  7. Drew Whitehead

Drew Whitehead Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    At least for the rest of today.

asuspcpc and Dombe like this.
  8. Mp31x

Mp31x Loaded Pockets

Both are new to me so it was a 2 knife day

[​IMG]

Water-Rat, Gym55Rat and Dombe like this.
  9. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Probably for the same reason there are so many places in the world where it used to be/maybe still is true that (believe it or not) the Playboy bunny icon ends up on all manner of items that Hefner would never have placed it on. Certain classes of consumer only know the icon; believe it (a) denotes some sort of 'class distinction' and (b) thereby gives them some kind of bragging rights. Consumers who buy based on such icons without knowing or caring about authenticity thereby create whole new markets for pirated goods. Manufacturers who go this route, even when they are able to produce high quality products on their own, are just being lazy so as not to have to expend efforts on true marketing.

Sorry, but in this instance you've fallen into the trap and are contributing to this nefarious approach. You might argue (even perhaps legitimately in this case, that you've not caused the true brand owner (Fox) to lose income. Unfortunately, you do contribute to harming them by diluting their brand identity.

Moshe ben David

Dirty Rod and Adahn like this.
  10. Gaulois

Gaulois Loaded Pockets

I'm pretty sure this comes from that guy :

;)

[​IMG]

A.B. and Mark_Trail like this.
  11. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I get your point but I think you overestimate what the people see in a logo like the Playboy bunny.
    (And I don't even want to say what I think about girls wearing the stamp of a, as I see it, pimp.)

It is a distinctive sign which happens to be a trademark, other than that it's not so different to, say a YinYang.
    You can find that on any kind of items that have nothing to do with anything, even cool looking pivot screws.
    What's the meaning? Most likely nothing, it's just looking cool/interesting/different/whatever.
    Same as the cross or the Ankh that many people are wearing even if they are non-religious but like the symbol.

Someone who makes a knife thinks that it sells better with a sign on it that's assosiated with knives, at least it's not the overly common skull.
    It could've been any other brand and they wouldn't give a second thought to it, same as many customers.
    Is that a good thing or not? Maybe not but it's not an earth-shaking problem to me.

kdurt likes this.
  12. Lollolo

Lollolo Loaded Pockets

[​IMG] A really simple yet functional old style Opinel.

Inviato dal mio HUAWEI SCL-L01 utilizzando Tapatalk

13. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

kdurt and Dombe like this.
  14. Todd C.
    • +1 Supporter

Todd C. Loaded Pockets

15. GaryMc

GaryMc Loaded Pockets

RHK Signature Series #38 got new clothes & jewelry: Monkey's Edge Battle Green Ti FRAG scale befitting of the dragon motif, Steel Flame bronze Dragon Clip, Steel Flame bronze Skull filler tab, bronze Ti Skull & Crossbones frame nuts, and Bronze Ti LBS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Jesus™

Jesus™ Loaded Pockets

The knockoff market exists and always will because of one reason and one reason alone..... money. No matter how much money you have, $600 for a 4" fixed blade knife is overpriced. Just like a $1,200 purse, or a $200 pair of jeans. If the manufacturers were that worried about knockoffs hurting their business they would lower their prices, plain and simple. So apparently it's not, and if anybody is falling into a "trap" as you put it, it's the people that (are worried about status symbols so much) feel that they can't get a quality item unless they spend hundreds of dollars on it. The knockoff market fills a gap that the OEM refuses to, like it or not. I'm sure there's a few idiots that buy knockoffs just because of a maker's mark, but the vast majority buys them knowing exactly what they are.

kdurt, Adahn and Gary Gross like this.
  17. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

Kershaw Crown for the next few days:cool:[​IMG]

#7037 charlie fox, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Dombe likes this.
  18. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

19. ThaMac
    • +3 Supporter

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Not necessarily. The idea of a logo is branding. And the brand stands for something. Quality and values. Whichever they might be. Of course that got perverted - see Gucci belts etc. - in some ways and for some brands. There the logo is the value, not the product. Usually the brand owner puts effort and money into things like product design. So it depends what the core product is.

To make, say, a good folding knife design, takes a lot of time and effort. Prototypes, CAD drawings, material decisions etc.

Counterfeiters cut corners. They (maybe) buy a piece and just straight copy it. Often with inferior materials and/or in lower built quality. They will take away from the market of the brand owners with their copies.

If you want to get a cheaper knife, that's alright. But getting a copy of a well known design? Get an original cheap design, like a Kizer. Great knifes and honest about what they do.

With a certain brand, you are not only paying for better materials. But as well the whole pre-production and customer service. Not that I am worried about their profits. They get rich, of course.

But look at Benchmade or Spyderco. Honest people entitled to their revenues? They take what's called entrepreneurial risk. They employ people and feed families.

Aside from all sentiment, I want a good product. And I want a company standing behind it (Benchmade's customer service is awesome). The brand stands for this and the logo represents the brand.

When I snap open my 940 or PM2, I see the logo. Makes me aware of the brand again. Knowing I can rely on the built quality and that I bought an honest product. Made by proud people, which hopefully get an honest pay (Spyderco, Benchmade, ZT and others, you better not disappoint me here).

Old fashioned, eh?

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener.

20. Keyman

Keyman Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

asuspcpc, kdurt, Civilian and 4 others like this.