1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What is your current EDC handgun?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by drizzle, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwhite75

jwhite75 Loaded Pockets

I read many magazine articles and reviews about it....way before it was the wonderful XD.

2. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

As I see it, the only advantage of a Glock is the parts/aftermarket supply, but they were also introduced 17 years before the HS2000 (1982 vs. 1999 according to Wikipedia). I imagine the aftermarket will continue to grow for the XD. Again, I haven't heard or read of any reliability problems beyond what any other pistol has, so I don't think it's a giant issue.

I have nothing against Glocks, they are outstanding weapons. In fact, I was this close to buying a G21, but the XD-45 ergos felt much better to me. FWIW, I had range time with a G17, G19, and G27, as well as an XD-9 prior to purchasing.

I don't have any problems with balance, but I've never been in combat, either. I can tell you that every person besides myself, who has shot my XD drove tacks right off the bat, and has had nothing but good things to say about shootability. Personally, I just shoot better with it, which is one of, if not the most important feature in a carry weapon.

3. Bravo_Kilo
    • In Omnia Paratus

Bravo_Kilo Loaded Pockets

+1. I've let four of my friends shoot my 9mm XD Sub, and everyone of them have since bought their own XDs. It's a solid, accurate handgun, but the finish (on mine at least) blows. I don't get the "poorly balanced" and "muzzle heavy" descriptions myself. Perhaps it's just different strokes...

4. jwhite75

jwhite75 Loaded Pockets

To each his own....I just dont think they are the gun everybody make them out to be.

5. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

The XD is a fine pistol. I picked up a XD-40 service model several years ago and put a couple thousand rounds through it and only had one FTF in the very beginning that I attributed to me limp wristing it or not putting the magazine in firmly all the way. After that no issues and it was smooth, accurate and very reliable.

I later bought an XD-40 SC once I got my CCL and I carry it almost everyday in a D.M. Bullard IWB holster. No rust issues even during these hot summer days in Texas. Mine does have a very thin coating of Breakfree CLP so it could be that.

Glocks are nice as well but a little different ergonomics. I also like the 1911 palm safety which gives me a little extra peace of mind when I holster the pistol every time I use it after removing it from the safe that anything pulling the trigger won't accidentally discharge it.

Not sure what is meant by poorly balanced. Both of mine feel quite good in the hand. I've shot Glocks, H&K, and Beretta autos of similar size and can't say the XD is poorly balanced compared to the rest.

6. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Bersa Thunder 380

7. somber

somber Banned

Glock 19 RTF

8. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Curious about this model. Hope you don't mind me asking. How long have you had it, and have you had any issues with it?

9. dieselgeek

dieselgeek Loaded Pockets

noobie here. I carry a Glock 19. with a Lasermax
    [​IMG]

10. jwhite75

jwhite75 Loaded Pockets

Excellent choice...world class handgun.

11. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Don't mind you asking at all. I've had it about 3 months. Purchased new from a local gun store. 200 rounds of FMJ and a couple of mags of hollowpoints through it at the range, no problems. It's a little bigger than the current crop of .380 pocket pistols, so it takes more effort to conceal. It fits my hand well and has a good 3-dot sight picture. I find it very accurate to about 15 yards. At 25 yards my groups start to spread out a bit, but that's probably more from my eyesight than the pistol. It's a real fun shooter and makes a nice range gun, unlike some of the smaller guns that are somewhat punishing to shoot (the price paid for concealment).

It's very similiar in size and appearance to the Walther PPK and the Sig P232. It's DA first-shot, SA for the rest. I have the 7+1 version "Thunder 380" in matte black finish. It's an all metal gun with an alloy lower receiver and a steel slide, and plastic grips. There are after-market wood grips available if you want to change up the looks, but the stock grips are fine. There's a "Concealed Carry" model (380 CC) which is an 8+1 capacity, and is a little smaller and flatter (even with the extra round, go figure). I looked that that one too but I preferred the slightly larger grips and better sight picture on the full-sized model.

Spare magazines and accessories for it are available online at www.condorsflight.com. There's an active Bersa community site over at www.bersachat.com as well.

I paid $279 for it, with taxes and fees it was about $310 out the door. I really like the gun. The American importer's website is at www.bersafirearmsusa.com if you need more information. I'm not associated with any of the companies mentioned in any way other than as a customer.

12. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I appreciate the response. Thank You.

13. chrisemt
    • In Omnia Paratus

chrisemt Loaded Pockets

Glock 23 in a Desantis Cozy Partner IWB at 7 o'clock. Only modifications are a 3.5# trigger and a "smooth" trigger instead of the serrated "target" trigger. Butt plug behind the magwell just because. Spare mag. If I can't solve the problem with 27 rounds of .40 then I usually have my running shoes on, so there's that.

-Chris

14. Wolvee

Wolvee Loaded Pockets

Ruger SR9 [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. dieselgeek

dieselgeek Loaded Pockets

Bought this Glock 26 last night. It's my new summer carry fo sho. [​IMG]

16. Dirty Bob

Dirty Bob Loaded Pockets

In CHL renewal hell, but...

Waiting for renewal to arrive, so I can start carrying again. Even this short delay seems to be stretching on and on...

Kel-Tec P-11:
    [​IMG]

and P-32 backup, with extras. Knife is homemade, from a Mora Triflex Tradesman:
    [​IMG]

Regards,
    Dirty Bob

17. trickyasafox

trickyasafox Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

one of these- IWB appendix carry

in the foreground is an original colt lightweight pre series 80 commander in stainless
    in the background is a citadel CS officers sized 1911

both in 45acp

18. uspopo

uspopo Loaded Pockets

Glock 19 and SW 640-1

19. QDaddy

QDaddy Loaded Pockets

Springfield XD sub compact in 9mm. I like the 9mm, but wish I had waited for the XDm .45

20. In_The_Pitt

In_The_Pitt Loaded Pockets

You sir, have excellent taste!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.