1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What is your current EDC flashlight, part three.

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by cowsmilk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Willy

Willy Loaded Pockets

Finding this little combo works nicely in the pocket. Light is a Peak Eiger Mule in raw aluminum. Forgot what the knife is.........
    [​IMG]

MartinC, Wes Lee, jag-engr and 6 others like this.
  2. BigGreenTick

BigGreenTick Loaded Pockets

Christy Knife

twin63 likes this.
  3. Appel

Appel Loaded Pockets

A FW3A (and a Pilar)

[​IMG]

MartinC, Wes Lee, FiaOlleDog and 3 others like this.
  4. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I've been carrying a RovyVon Aurora A1x for the last couple weeks. It's a great balance of power, convenience, and runtime. It has a bigger battery than the little 10180 keychain lights, but it's not as large as a CR123 light. I'd maybe rank it in with CR2 lights, perhaps.

The button could be a little more tactile, but it works.

I recently used it to illuminate a couple of black fin tuna at night for gaffing!

FiaOlleDog, MartinC, Wes Lee and 2 others like this.
  5. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I recently changed things up and decided to go small - Mateminco CSF-04. I really like that I am able to have HiCri, brightness ramping, red light and even strobe.
    [​IMG]

0880, MartinC, Wes Lee and 4 others like this.
  6. FarmerJoe

FarmerJoe Loaded Pockets

This guy for a while now.[​IMG]

Skickat från min SM-N986B via Tapatalk

7. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

As I understand it, the Mateminco lights appear to be a rebranding of Astrolux lights.

I have heard complaints that Astrolux's UV LED is more of just a purple light that is not in the correct UV spectrum. Does your light have a UV LED? If so, what are your impressions of it?

I think that my wife would love that purple color!

I have a RovyVon A5x on the way, and I am anxious to see how its UV light compares to that of my highly-useful Lumintop Tool UV.

8. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

This one does have a UV light, but it isn’t useful as such and if I wanted a usable UV, I would be disappointed. It is built into the side (like the blue and red lights are). It appears purple and I don’t think it is just because of having to shine through the case. Both the red and blue lights appear unaltered and are usable despite also shining through the case.

I don’t have a RovyVon A5x, but I do have and A8x. Its UV is also built into the side, but at least the case is clear. I think you may be disappointed if wanting it to be useful as a dedicated UV.

jag-engr likes this.
  9. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

That's kind of funny that you say that - there was a little voice in the back of my head telling me the same when I ordered it... :p

SOS24 likes this.
  10. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

As an update to this discussion, the RovyVon A5x does have a true UV spectrum LED (that puts out bluish light). It does not illuminate enough area to hunt for scorpions or check a hotel room, but it does illuminate well enough to read UV print. It works well enough.

On a separate note, I definitely prefer the optic lens on the RovyVon lights to a reflector. The optic seems to throw cleaner light.

11. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I’m glad it works for you.

My initial thoughts went to the scorpion or hotel type uses, which like you said it wouldn’t be sufficient.

jag-engr likes this.