1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What is your current EDC flashlight, part three.

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by cowsmilk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Everytime I think I'm all set with flashlights something new catches my eye. Trying this titanium RovyVon keychain light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erikj3, AlgoOPC, 0880 and 3 others like this.
  2. nosuchagency

nosuchagency Loaded Pockets

3. Captdave13

Captdave13 Loaded Pockets

Have this too. Great light.

echo victor, MartinC and nosuchagency like this.
  4. nosuchagency

nosuchagency Loaded Pockets

it's on trial run to replace my e1d. was concerned about footprint, but haven't noticed any significant difference in carry.

MartinC likes this.
  5. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I have recently returned to using a Surefire M2. It sat in my desk drawer for over a decade because Surefire no longer made the incandescent 120-lumen lamp assembly.

One of my underlings recently found a LED assembly that provides about 150 lumens with a tint that resembles that provided by an incandescent lamp assembly.

I’ve grown weary of these high-output LED flashlights with their enormous outputs. My current Surefire combat light outputs 600 lumens. It’s purported replacement outputs 1500 lumens. I haven’t began to carry it. It hurt my eyes the one and only time that I activated it as I pointed it at an object about 5 yards away.

Too much light can be a hindrance.

MartinC, ZMZ67, parnass and 1 other person like this.
  6. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

The "brighter is better" push never seems to go away. Fortunately drop-ins like the Malkoff M61 can keep old SF incans running reliably with practical outputs for years to come.

MartinC and keycutter like this.
  7. keycutter

keycutter Loaded Pockets

I totally agree with the above statements. I have a surefire 6p with a malkoff drop in that is 150 lumens it’s been my favorite most reliable non pocket flashlight for years

ZMZ67 and MartinC like this.
  8. rodia77

rodia77 Loaded Pockets

This Sofirn joined the pack a couple of weeks ago:

[​IMG]

My first USB-charged torch, I totally dig it as a power solution for a light to be used around the house. For my EDC, car, emergency etc I've stuck with lithium AA/AAA batteries so far (long storage, occasional use), but I'm having second thoughts now.

9. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

You can often still use other batteries in a light that charges too,just dont try to charge a primary in the light.

My Armytec headlamp can charge an 18650 in the light but I usually charge in a charger and use different batteries as needed too and it is the same for most of my lights that can charge as long as they can work with the range of voltage between the batteries.

rodia77 likes this.
  10. rodia77

rodia77 Loaded Pockets

^^^
    Funny you mention Armytek, I was eyeing Elf C1 and C2 just yesterday (prefer the USB port to the magnet stuck on the butt). :)

EZDog likes this.
  11. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Same here and mine is the C2.
    Works well and I like it enough that I EDC mine even though it drains the battery unless I loosen the tail every time!?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[​IMG]

Lateck, AlgoOPC and rodia77 like this.
  12. rodia77

rodia77 Loaded Pockets

Yes, I learned that the hard way when I kept my Tiara in the car without locking it out first. Now I lock out all my AA/AAA lights, but I don't think I'd be bothered to do that with USB chargers, will see how it goes with the Sofirn.

13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I dont think I have another light that needs this precaution really and I have a lot of lights!

I have to think it is a defect but when I got the light I went on the road on a job the next day and used the crap out of it even after realizing that it had the problem.
    Now I just dont care that much.....unless I forget to lock it out of course.

rodia77 likes this.
  14. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Personally I think that any feature on a light to prevent it from being switched on is important, I look for such especially if the torch is to be transported, whether it be in a vehicle or on the body. Only lights that remain/live on a desk for example, I'm not bothered about them having a lock out.

15. rodia77

rodia77 Loaded Pockets

Accidental switch-ons are one thing, but these Armyteks are draining the battery while being off. Untwisting the cap breaks the circuit, thus locking them out.

16. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Exactly

17. BigGreenTick

BigGreenTick Loaded Pockets

FWIW any light with an e-switch will have some amount of parasitic drain. On a well designed circuit it's just low enough that it won't significantly discharge the battery for months or even years.

18. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Yeah I agree, and if you really wasn't going to use that light for months in the first place then surely turning the tailcap a turn or removing the battery would be the best thing to do.

19. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Obviously but what I am saying is that the Armytec in question will discharge in a day or so and is clearly defective or just a terrible design.
    I can not recommend the light for that alone but at the same time I like it enough that I just live with it by disconnecting the battery when I remember to.
    I do not get it fixed because I can not afford to at the moment and do not really trust them to fix it.

20. weklund

weklund Loaded Pockets

Currently in my daily rotation.
    Olight i5T EOS Copper and Titanium.

[​IMG]

Nice, Lateck and twin63 like this.