1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What is your current EDC flashlight, part three.

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by cowsmilk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. kye4some

kye4some Loaded Pockets

Reylight Krystal [​IMG]

“The rights of conscience, of bearing arms, of changing the government, are declared to be inherent in the people.”

Fisher Ames

2. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Loaded Pockets

They do nice things with titanium over there.

MartinC likes this.
  3. Solstice

Solstice Loaded Pockets

About a week ago I picked up a Rovyvon Aurora A24 Ti on an Amazon lightning sale and I have to say, it's rekindled by old flashaholic days of the mid-Aughts. The clip is awesome, the size fills the hand while staying very compact, the Ti body is beautifully machined (especially considering I paid $61 for this light; something like this would have been multiple hundreds 15 years ago), and instant access to 1000 lumens is very impressive! Not to mention a silent clicky switch and no accidental pocket activation. The only thing I don't like is that moonlight mode comes after SOS/Strobe and therefore takes 4 fast clicks to access, but it's not a dealbreaker. While the battery is only 600 mAh, I've been playing with it daily and have yet to plug it back in (oh yeah, on board charging is a welcome if commonplace convenience as well). Guess I'm back in the zeitgeist!

MartinC, xevious and Swe_Nurse like this.
  4. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

If it only came in neutral or warm white I would've picked one up.

Hopefully we will see more manufacturers that offers emitter choices in the next few years. We're well past the lumen wars and I hope mainstream manufacturers realize that soon.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

MartinC and 0880 like this.
  5. 0880

0880 Loaded Pockets

I couldn't agree more! Personally, I find cool white to be a little harsh on the eyes and much harder to distinguish between shades of color.

I am a low voltage technician that works with multi colored wiring on a daily basis so this is a deal breaker for me. I have found that 4000k is the ideal color temp and most closely resembles natural sunlight. I am hopeful that more mainstream manufacturers will realize this also.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10+

MartinC likes this.
  6. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

Still bossin' my no-frills Maratac, that I snapped-up last year. No complaints.

[​IMG]

MartinC, xevious and twin63 like this.
  7. Banzboy

Banzboy Loaded Pockets

My EDC light is a cheap XPE-R3 from Amazon. Tail clicker AAA that I use an 10440 battery in it so it's over powered and really bright.
    Works very well, no issues with burnout or anything. Try it, you'll like it.

MartinC likes this.
  8. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

RovyVon makes some great micro lights. I have the older A8, which is great except for the annoying PWM. I'm not familiar with the newer A24. If the strobe/SOS is in the main mode path, that's annoying and a deal breaker for me. The brightness (or "horsepower") posturing is a bit superfluous now, as LED's are so ample bright. Also have to remember form factor. For such a small EDC light, cannot expect thrower-style output without serious thermal consequences. I keep 2 lights with me -- a triple A that's super slender (hooks to the pocket unobtrusively) and an 18650 or 18350 light. The larger is meant to handle larger illumination jobs, while the mini light is used for small jobs where it's an advantage to use something small.

MartinC likes this.
  9. FarmerJoe

FarmerJoe Loaded Pockets

For a long time I've had the feeling I need some AAA lights in ny life....
    This arrived today to expand the collection (up until now an Olight i3T EOS ).

Great looking light!

Now if only my Prometheus QRV2 would show up...[​IMG]

Skickat från min SM-N975F via Tapatalk

#4729 FarmerJoe, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  10. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

TL,DR: Ti3 on keychain, headlamp in sling bag resp. backpack.

Since 2014 an Thrunite Ti3 on my keychain. Replaced it after three years with another Ti3, after having tried Nitecore Thumb (electronic failed after a few weeks with external impact) and a Lumintop Worm 4.0 (couldn't get used to the mid-low-high mode setting).

The Ti3 fulfills all my true EDC needs: sub-lumen for nights, medium for occasional use and high for "gimme all the lumen I have right now at my hands". Unfortunately Thrunite decided to "upgrade" the Ti3 with a next-mode-memory, which totally confuses me as i can't predict which mode it will turn on. Instead, I hoped they would have upgraded their electronics to accept 10440 LiIon batteries and increase high from about 120 to 250 lumen (for a few minutes before stepping down).

In my casual slingbag for short trips I carry a cheap headlamp (Decathlon Forclaz ONngiht 100 model with red / 30 / 80 lumen) that lasts for 10-30 hours (tested it myself as I couldn't believe the specs). I like both the no-hotspot beam pattern and the cheapness (8 bucks), and it works great with AAA alkalines and Eneloop NiMH batteries.

In my backpack (for work & longer journeys) I take a Thrunite TH20 headlamp, max 230 lumen which runs on a single AA batterie or Eneloop, plus spare batteries.

As both the sling bag and backpack are EDC (depending on which day) I've listed them here as well.

Side note: for ENC (Every Night Carry) I use a Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 with a 14500 LiIon and High Mode as last/current setting ... 360 lumens with a single click :D

Last edited by FiaOlleDog, Jan 19, 2020
    #4730 FiaOlleDog, Jan 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  11. jds1

jds1 Loaded Pockets

Just updated my E1 and E2 for EDC duty.

[​IMG]

Jeff

ZMZ67 and twin63 like this.