1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What is your BOB?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by smrtprts, May 29, 2011.

1. spaceman

spaceman Loaded Pockets

Wouldn't it make sense to use a backpack for a BOB??
    i.e. more versatile if you do need to walk...

2. BLau1976

BLau1976 Empty Pockets

Oakley Kitchen Sink.

3. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Two straps are more comfortable if you're humping the pack long distances, certainly.

A single-strap bag, like messenger bags or Maxped's Gearslingers, are much easier to access in a hurry, without the need to completely take it off.

F'rinstance, you sure wouldn't want to have to access a concealed firearm out of a two-strap pack, but from a single strap bag, it's usually easy.

4. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Honestly, I've found few quality backpacks as versatile as the County Comm XL BOB bag that I use. (Key word being quality.)

The individual, outer pockets, are fantastic. In fact, those can be used by themselves to hold survival or emergency items while the inside can be used as an EDC bag.

Also, as Gryffin pointed out, much easier to access items in the bag without taking it off, compared to a backpack.

5. cj797

cj797 Loaded Pockets

I like being able to carry my EDC stuff on my back, but my BOB has a lot of tools and such in it. It would be too heavy on my back. And if I'm in a situation that I need to hide/ditch my BOB (while on foot), it would be much easier to drop the sling and run with my backpack on (i.e. zobmies chasing me).

6. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Mountainsmith Approach 3.0.

7. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

My "Suburban Assault Bag" is the regular-size CountyComm BOB. After schlepping a big honkin' laptop bag to work, even though I rarely actually schlepped the laptop, I downsized to the BOB, and have been very happy with it. Like ya said, it's a quality bag, and very well organized. My only issues with it are that it's just too small to slip my MacBook Pro 15" into, and that for some reason the velcro patch field is on the back. (I consider the four-pocket side the front, since that's the side I use for organizing ready items; the large single pocket on the other side is what I consider the back, and carries stuff I use less often.)

8. ssmtbracer
    • +1 Supporter

ssmtbracer EDC Junkie!!!!!

I just got the same bag I am using it as a bob/range bag/EDC bag. Not a true bob bag but like you said I'd be more prepared than 95% of people.

9. joekaveh

joekaveh Loaded Pockets

10. firemedic183

firemedic183 Loaded Pockets

11. coolhand68

coolhand68 Loaded Pockets

12. Ytailhtr

Ytailhtr Loaded Pockets

SwissGear Synergy....although it's black, it doesn't look too tactical...which is what I wanted....covert BOB, of sorts....LOTS of room, lots of little pockets....great bag, I think

Ytailhtr

13. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Loaded Pockets

Maxped monsoon.

14. niagaratac

niagaratac Loaded Pockets

I first bought a typical 72hr tactical backpack but found after using it hiking for 2 days it sucked in real life carry. My first line of defense is living in country with local access to food and water. I live on a farm on fresh water in one of the most fertile areas in the world and am well provisioned to sit out whatever safely and comfortably. So apart from the fact I could go off grid tomorrow without a bead of sweat a BOB is still necessary precaution. WSHTF I assume means preparedness for not being at home at the time. My "BOTruck" is fully also stocked separately and in my daily driver car I have moved to a higher end system BOB bag system. Contents are same as most lists online such as TNP's that have 7 days capability for family. I have one bag per person living in my home and each has the ability to expand our defense unit numbers with provisions.

The standard BOB bags I now use are these: http://www.travelgearblog.com/archive/jansport-deluxe-euro-sak.html

Its super comfortable to carry loaded out, JanSport was one of the original backpack manufacturers to expand beyond the hiking crowd and they continue to put out some of the best-made, long-lasting gear out there. This Euro Sak model has everything you need for an adventure tour or year on the road, including a detachable daypack, but the straps zip away and it converts into a good suitcase when needed, with handles on both the top and sides.

The main compartment has a 65-liter capacity (3950 cubic inches), which will meet most long-haul travelers’ needs. There’s a “muck-proof” bottom that wipes off easily, two large side pockets, and an expandable drop-down compartment with sleeping bag lashes. Adjustable aluminum stays and multiple support straps keep weight distributed evenly. There’s nothing especially innovative or flashy about this pack (though it does come in three colors), just a solid 6 pound 5 ounce workhorse that won’t let you down and perfect if you want to look non tactical but have a BOB that counts. I love the dark brown coyote and grey color scheme.

My day BOB pack which is always with me, even in business travel is the MEC Big Pod. I also had bought the Maxpedition fatboy style shoulder bags but felt while high quality and comfortable to carry loaded, they didn't fit into everyday carry without people wondering if i was a military junkie survivalist type. I dress business casual most days sometimes a suit if needed but wanted something that no one would look into to find knives etc., more looking for my Ipad2 and Oakleys. This fits into Urban business life and travel without being noticed and fits an incredible amount of BOB contents including first aid, fire starting, food biv sak, etc and other urban survival items I need to get back to my car and larger BOB.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442627630&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302699713

15. joekaveh

joekaveh Loaded Pockets

@coolhand, It's a BRKT Bravo 1 Rampless that I got from the forums here of course! I got the sheath custom made from http://www.jreindustries.com/sheaths.htm
    Basically his huntsman sheath but sized for a bravo 1 rampless (had to wait like 3 months or something for it, but totally worth it!)

@Firemedic, thanks!

16. medic!

medic! Loaded Pockets

Kifaru Xray

17. firemedic183

firemedic183 Loaded Pockets

Did you find one, or were you still interested in mine?

18. jukrui

jukrui Loaded Pockets

Camelbak BFM with a USGI waist pack attached to the bottom. 6 exterior pockets, 2 internal mesh pockets, and nice compression straps in the large main compartment. I also have a Camelbak Motherlode as EDC, but the bug out gear is ready to be packed. I also keep a Camelback HAWG set up for my son. Food, water, and tools are in 2 Plano footlockers. You can't go wrong with Camelbak.

19. Accessory Man

Accessory Man Loaded Pockets

My BOB isn't to big, actually just statrted putting it together, I have to complete packs set up with sleeping bags, I use for camping but I figured something smaller more urban was in order. For the most part I have EVERYTHING I need in my truck.

[​IMG]

OH yeah, and My BOB comes with the security gaurd, and that's not the flash..... he has Lazer eyes :)

20. einar5107

einar5107 Empty Pockets

Depends...Sandpiper BOB for 72 hours. North Face bags in all the vehicles, Maxped Sitka for commute to office and home, mountainsmith vibe 2 for short hikes.