1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What is "Titanium Steel"?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by zenlunatic, Jul 28, 2008.

1. zenlunatic

zenlunatic Loaded Pockets

I'm thinking of getting this Citizen Eco-Drive. The description says "Titanium Steel" bracelet. What does that mean? It's a mix between 100% titanium and steel? Or is it just 100% titanium and the description is poorly written? Thanks!

2. LLCoolBeans

LLCoolBeans Empty Pockets

I'm going to take a guess and say it's stainless steel with a matte or grey painted finish.

3. Smith357

Smith357 Empty Pockets

My guess is it's a misprint, search the model number (BM6410-57E eco-drive) and every other site has it listed as titanium.

4. DonShock

DonShock Loaded Pockets

I've seen a lot of jewelry list as "titanium steel" and have always figured it was just a sales gimmick. The one time I ever saw any actual information on the metal content listed, I think it said it was steel with 0.5 - 2.0 % titanium. I've been careful to watch for pure or 100% titanium ever since.

5. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

hmmmm,

Thats kind of strange sounding. My guess I typo.

6. amboose

amboose Loaded Pockets

probably typo, perhaps its titanium and steel, as there are watches with titanium middle links and steel outer links on the same bracelet.

7. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

My guess would be titanium coated steel. There are titanium coated drill bits, for instance, so it can be done.

As it happens, I have a (purportedly) titanium Eco-Drive watch. Never particularly cared about the titanium thing, so I haven't checked before, but I'll go find a magnet and see if it sticks to the watch. I'll report back later. Mine's a different model than the one you linked to, though. I looked at Citizen's site, but couldn't find it, so maybe it's been discontinued.

8. Pshrynk

Pshrynk Empty Pockets

Titanium coated steel would be senseless on a watch though because Titanium is not very resistant to scratches :shrug:

My guess would be a typo. Try the Japanese or Europe Citizen sites maybe?

9. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Really? Well, I guess an actual titanium watch would make even less sense, then. Not to even mention gold... But anyway, I know that titanium is non-magnetic so I tried the magnet trick. Magnet does stick to all parts of the bracelet. It also sticks to the bottom of the watch part, but not to its sides. Therefore, my guess would still be coated steel.

10. ScottAW

ScottAW Loaded Pockets

It may be coated in titanium for people with metal allergies. Titanium (at least pure, ot sure about this coating) is usually a lot easier on people w/ allergies.

11. Pshrynk

Pshrynk Empty Pockets

The only thing Titanium is good for in a watch is it's light weight and the coolness factor. However, just because it is popular does not mean it is a good choice. Uncoated Titanium is much more prone to scratches than Stainless. Here is some info on Ti as a material in watches.

http://www.europastar.com/europastar...h/titanium.jsp

12. p6120

p6120 Empty Pockets

That are the golden bits. They are covered with titanium nitride.

13. FLYBYU44

FLYBYU44 Loaded Pockets

Titanium is a life saver for people like me that have a lot of skin allergies.

14. mr.hauser

mr.hauser Loaded Pockets

on many moderately priced titanium watches the clasp to the bracelet is partly made of steel (the two pieces that accordion out) so that could be what they are referring to.

15. peacefuljeffrey

But isn't it true that most products called "titanium" are actually an alloy in the first place?

16. Himbo

Himbo Loaded Pockets

Amazing this thread is still alive after 4 months.

Btw, the Citizen watch in question is a full Ti watch.

Anihoos, my thoughts.

1. I've seen some websites optimize their search results by tagging "steel" with titanium (i.e. a Ti watch will appear in a search for steel). Hence titanium steel.

2. There is no such alloy/material named Titanium steel I'm aware of. There is, however, TiX (where X refer to CN and other ceramic compounds) coated steel, commonly used to harden the surfaces of knives, tools and watches. Common terms for such coatings include PVD, ion-plating (IP) etc.

3. Metal compositions are usually not used to describe an ally. Otherwise SS will be called nickel/.../.../iron. Titanium is sufficient and accurate when we describe what a watch is made of.

17. STHFNGLD

STHFNGLD Empty Pockets

Wow, very strange. It says titanium watch in the title.....but the description says titanium steel...... either its a typo and they think steel is a synonym for metal OR its some crappy alloy with less than 5% titanium. Since it's a citizen I hope that it's a typo.

18. Nocam

Nocam Loaded Pockets

could be a mix of titanium and steel. I used to see omegas made of stuff called "tantalum" titanium and something else mixed.

19. rleikis

rleikis Empty Pockets

This is an accurate post.^^ Citizen uses solid titanium parts in all of their Ti watches, they do not skimp. There are internals that are different of course but on the band and clasp all the parts are titanium except for the post/pins. Also the body and bezel are titanium. sometimes they dye the parts depending on the model but it is still titanium.

I've had the 1st gen titanium Skyhawk for years now and it has not let me down. It the best watch I've ever had and I like it much better than my stainless steel version of the same watch. Eco-drive is worth the money every time.

I would not expect Overstock to have necessarily knowledgeable people writing up product info pages. They likely just copy and paste from other sites that carry the same thing. Hopefully this question can be put to rest now.