1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What is the deal with TAD

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Bear76, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Bear76

Bear76 Loaded Pockets

I really like the few things I own from them. However, 99% of the time they are sold out of everything! Is this some intentional marketing thing or do they craft everything from Dodo feathers.

2. HimalayanHitman
    • In Omnia Paratus

HimalayanHitman Loaded Pockets

This kind of upsets me as well, also how much shipping is (usually it's free over like $100 yet they charge $10) and it takes a week. It sucks they are out of stuff because when you order it's best to order multiple things at once to save time. It has been stated before that they do it to keep up demand thus keeping prices high.

MinistryOfTruth likes this.
  3. thatguy

thatguy Loaded Pockets

They appear to be getting better with restocks.. Just last week (just in time for summer) they restocked the merino wool Huntsman Henley (LOL)..

I do think they use the out of stock stuff to keep the demand high.. If you check out the TAD Junkie Facebook group, stuff sells fast as lightning..

BUT I have come to appreciate the quality of the material in their items and especially their design/style..

4. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

the dodo feather hypothesis seems convincing

5. twogunmojo

twogunmojo Banned

i used the term "gorilla marketing" plus they are trying to create the idea that their gear is better by making demand seem high...they are using the same tactics that people who sell to hipsters/millenials use...not saying that there is anything wrong with that but i am not going to sign up for updates and check back in every couple of days to see if you have restocked just to drive traffic to your site...

i guess now would be a good time to check in and see if the warden scarf is back in stock..i would have bought one in the fall of last year but it was out of stock and was still out of stock as of this post...

kikaida likes this.
  6. rockshow

rockshow Empty Pockets

Its a marketing tactic designed to keep demand pumped up. Its what made Beanie Babies popular. The maker of BB's deliberately restricted the flow of product to create a demand and hype by making desirable products virtually unobtainable to most. TAD does make some awesome kit, but you pay $$$ for deliberately limited stock. While I still admire some of their stuff, by and large they are dead to me as something I desire.

Wolfhound0023 and kikaida like this.
  7. Bear76

Bear76 Loaded Pockets

Yeah I don't like that type of thing at all. Even though I really want a Shagmaster I can't really support that type of :censored:. I've always felt that if your product or service is worthwhile you don't need tricks to succeed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kikaida and HimalayanHitman like this.
  8. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

Yeah, its kept me away too, I have wanted a Lightspeed a few times now, but every time I am in the mood for a new bag they are out of stock. So I have a lot of MR, Kifaru, 5.11 and TT thanks to them!

9. Chiro75

Chiro75 Loaded Pockets

It's like the patches everyone is going nuts for right now. A handful are released, secondary market goes nuts, a handful more get released, etc. I like cool stuff, but it's like limited release beers and all the beer geeks are sleeping out in front of the bottle shop to get a chance at grabbing a bottle.

1 person likes this.
  10. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

Of course you can get the TAD stuff on eBay if you really have to have it....And pay 300% more for it!

11. TheJeff

TheJeff Loaded Pockets

I recall seeing the group on facebook, but I cannot seem to find the page? Can you point me in the right direction?

12. BERSERKER101

BERSERKER101 Empty Pockets

I think they build exceptional products with 95% being made on the US. And they can only build so fast . Until I owned it I had the same feeling. So far I love everything and would recommend tad to anyone

13. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

In 2007, I bought my Strider PT from TAD and had it delivered quickly and was very satisfied. After that I looked back on their site from time to time and there was always something I wanted but it was always out of stock. I've since given up on them. I guess my first transaction was as probable as hitting a home run for your very first at bat.

vegassprky likes this.
  14. hawkeye180

hawkeye180 Loaded Pockets

They seem to get things limited amounts of products every week or so now. That is much better than it was in the past.

I have three pair of their pants now and I would not turn back. I would recommend them to anyone.

15. Steakslim

Steakslim Empty Pockets

Oops, tried to post a link and forgot about the link-blocker.
    The group on facebook you're asking about I believe is TADjunkies.

16. thatguy

thatguy Loaded Pockets

I had always read about them are the ar15 forum and ppl either loved TAD or said it was overpriced (fleece is fleece type comments).. I ordered a ranger hoodie and quickly realized how high end, high quality the material is and how great the design is.. LOVE the ranger hoodie, its great..

YES - you can buy comparable TNF and Mountain Hardwear from the same materials but the prices are similar and you can find them on sale at times. BUT I prefer the TAD styling better..

17. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Reminds me of "The Emperor's New Clothes" fable. Those who buy it have to say it's the best super duper stuff they've ever bought in order to justify the price gouging. Others say the company can only manufacture so much in order to justify the lack of stock - never mind that this doesn't affect other manufacturers. If they actually went to mass manufacturing, they'd go out of business because the general public isn't going to pay their outrageous prices. So they keep stocks small and limited in order to keep the fanboys hungry. I have to give credit to the TAD makers, they really have their customers hooked by their limited production and are taking them for a ride. If their clothing was so good, they would be competing with TNF, 5.11, Columbia, etc. But instead, it's a small boutique brand.

But if it makes you happy, then by all means, buy it.

Last edited by kikaida, Jul 1, 2014
    ManVsLawn, w2edv and HimalayanHitman like this.
  18. cityofthesouth

cityofthesouth Loaded Pockets

What is the deal with TAD?

I know why I never purchased anything from them before and now I know why I never will.

kikaida likes this.
  19. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

For $6 more you can get a MR ASAP over a Litespeed and have a pack designed by a guy who has been making packs for 20+ years. No brainer to me.

thekapow and kikaida like this.
  20. HimalayanHitman
    • In Omnia Paratus

HimalayanHitman Loaded Pockets

This is very true but let me give my new buyer experience. I thought the same and really didn't get TAD at all, then I found one (recon ac) that I liked the styling of and bought it. I like their stuff and have ordered three since then, mainly where I would put them is in the realm of "community" when you see people wearing the same stuff as you or using the same stuff as you. Same goes with Apple and Starbucks. The items are as good as the people are willing to say. I like and will wear TAD for the community aspect, the USA made aspect and will say though I do like 5.11 or Blackhawk better as far as clothing goes.
    The price is what makes them "special" they are the same quality mostly as the cheaper brands but as you stated no one would buy them if mass produced.

I'm not trying to come off as a jerk so please don't read it that way brother :).