1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What is the consensus on TAD Pants?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by hawkeye180, May 13, 2014.

1. hawkeye180

hawkeye180 Loaded Pockets

I am going to Uganda in July and I am thinking about getting a pair or two of the Triple Aught Design pants. What are your experiences with them?

Pete3 likes this.
  2. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

I don't have any of their pants but I do have a pair of their Force 10 AC Cargo Shorts. They're well-made - although, I've heard that TAD's QC has dropped some recently - and fit true to size. Personally, I don't care for the "flared" legs. I prefer a trimmer fit.

You might check out Kuhl as an alternative. I have several pairs of their pants and shorts and love them all.

3. dms

dms Loaded Pockets

Just got a pair of Force 10 pants and they are awesome

4. UsubM

UsubM Loaded Pockets

Very comfortable, fit well, lots of utility without looking super tactical, durable (from what I've seen so far), although a little pricey (but comparable to Arcteryx and similar companies)

In fact, I'm wearing a pair of Covert RS pants right now, and am looking to buy another pair of Force 10 AC pants in a different color next time they're in stock.

5. Steakslim

Steakslim Empty Pockets

I've had a pair of Force 10 RS cargo and Legionnaire pants i purchased this past winter and am about to pull the trigger on some Force 10 shorts. The legionnaire's have had more use than the force 10's over the winter but they've held up quite nice and comfy and the force 10 cargos thus far are very nice.

6. silverspurr

silverspurr Loaded Pockets

I got rid of the two pairs of RS I owned, after they come out of the wash they look like a wrinkled baggy potato sack, ironing them was a pain in the azz especially all those flaps and pockets.
    I do own 1 pair of the RS shorts which look better after a wash and they're much easier to iron quickly.
    I also own a pair of AC shorts and a pair of AC pants which I like 100% better than the RS's.
    (For pants, I prefer Vertx)

7. amdmaxx

amdmaxx Loaded Pockets

ACs are great for hot weather..
    Legionnaires are great for cold weather
    RS10s are great too, and I agree with silver, they come out looking a but wrinkled.

There is a new Recon AC design, check them out..

8. hawkeye180

I have been looking at the AC model and the Recon AC.

How is the fit on the pants?

9. silverspurr

silverspurr Loaded Pockets

Tad AC's underneath.

[​IMG]

10. hawkeye180

I bought a pair of the AC's and a pair of the new Recon AC. I will give them a shot.

11. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

They have an extremely baggy and loose fit, and they look very tacticool. The pockets aren't the greatest, but they are still reasonably functional. The kneepad pockets are an odd shape and so narrow that when you put your knee down to the ground, it sometimes almost misses the pad. But if you don't use kneepads, that won't bother you.

On the positive side, the welt pockets at the front are very nice and useful. And they are well made. Overall, they are ok, but not great.

12. hawkeye180

Thank you for your candor.

13. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Well, I was a little disappointed in them, but YMMV and sometimes you'll just have to try them yourself to see how they work for you. Also, I remembered that I read somewhere that they've streamlined the fit of their pants in recent years, so they may be different now. Mine are maybe 5-6 years old.

14. formula0

formula0 Loaded Pockets

I have several pairs of TAD Pants, including a pair of their Force 10 AC Cargo Pant which are my favorites. I love how lightweight, versatile, and packable they are. In the summer they are great because they offer more protection from the elements compared to shorts, while still being light and airy like shorts. In the winter I just wear a pair of Patagonia base-layer underneath and I don't get cold at all. I haven't tried their new Recon AC because it's not in stock in my size, so let us know how they compare when you get them!

15. hawkeye180

My pants are supposed to arrive tomorrow. I will post my initial impressions then.

16. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

I know it's a bit late for you, but I'll post anyway for anyone else reading. I've had a pair for about a year and a half, got them second hand (w/ tags) from a forum. I think they're called spartan, they're the ones without cargo pockets, just normal trousers. The material on my pair is quite heavy, perhaps too thick for really really hot countries, but they're a loose fit so are still comfortable when it's a bit warm. I use mine for everything and they feel like they'll last an age. They have a reinforced seat and reinforced knee sections, and have stood up well to my abuse, plenty of stains but no points of wear yet, at the moment they're one of my two main pairs of trousers, so get used quite a lot.

17. Del_

Del_ Loaded Pockets

I just ordered the TAD Spartan RS today when I noticed they were in stock again. If they have worked for you as well as you describe I have no doubt I will like these pants. Quick question, does it fit true to size? I got some VertX pants recently in 32x30 (Same size I wear for Levi's and other pants and they seemed to be a tad bit short for me.

18. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

Erm I think if anything they are a shade big for the size, but not much. Mine came with the legs unhemmed so length wasn't a problem as I decided where to hem them.

19. Del_

Del_ Loaded Pockets

I see. Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

20. hawkeye180

So my Recon AC pants and my Force 10 AC pants arrived last week Thursday. I sent back the Recon AC today, they weren't in the right size but I knew that was possible when I bought them, they didn't have my usual size exactly but I thought I could make it work. Turns out I can't. Luckily they were restocked in my size that day so I ordered a new pair.

Now the Force AC Pants, they had those in the size that I wanted in the first place and I wore them on Friday around my apartment and I went to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National park wearing them. I think they are fantastic. They are a bit baggy, I would change that by a little bit. But other than that, fantastic pants.