1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What Is It All For?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by jda, May 27, 2013.

1. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Good. You see, my father took me to the range sometimes and he didn't make me use any hearing protection, nor did he use any himself. He was the old school "you get used to it" kind of hunter. So I have permanently damaged ears and I've kinda taken to recommending hearing protection to everyone. (Yes, I do EDC ear plugs.)

2. groovster

groovster Loaded Pockets

That was touching, jda. Good story.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

3. Scrub

Scrub Loaded Pockets

I went to the range with a couple of guys from work. One is a Park Ranger and used to teach hunter's ed. the guy in the next lane was shooting his 10mm Glock and his kid was policing the brass. He'd have a turn on the Glock but it was a bit much so my buddy let him shoot his P229 kid was stoked and it seemed a bit more manageable for him.

Can't wait until my kids are old enough.

scbubba likes this.
  4. Schapendoes

Schapendoes Loaded Pockets

Great Story, well done my friend.

5. DJ Garrison

DJ Garrison Banned

I've had a few similar experiences. Actually, lately, I've had a number of women, many of whom were formerly anti-gun, ask me about guns and want to learn to shoot. Over the last few years, there's been a BIG change in attitudes about guns in the Bay Area, especially among folks not normally known for being gun rights supporters. They've been able to understand why self-defense is important, and how overwhelmed the police are. It's nice to see people who have thought it over and are eager to learn.

scbubba and kertap75 like this.
  6. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

You're right about this. I know tons of people who would have NEVER tolerated guns in the past who are now aggressively pro gun, and knowledgeable on the gun rights issues.

Recently, one of my mom's friends had her gun toting mother over for a visit, and both of them asked to come by my house to see my gun collection. The 80 year old mother was an experienced pistol shooter and knew her business fairly well, but her daughter was also happy to look through our stuff. They were very interested in everything, including the black rifles, though both found them to be too heavy for their liking. They did like the lightweight rifles (M1 Carbine, Keltec Su16, etc) though.

As a finale, I brought them both out to the backyard for an impromptu range session with the Red Ryder BB guns. The daughter did well for a newbie, but her 80 year old mother nailed a can with every shot!:eek:

jeepsrjason likes this.
  7. gooseman1991

gooseman1991 Loaded Pockets

That was especially thoughtful of you. So many people wouldn't even pay the boy any attention. I always encourage friends to come shooting with me. So far the only ones that did were ones that already had guns. I have a few friends who are not against guns, but afraid of them. I think it is a lack of experience more than anything and I hope one day to help them overcome this fear.

Goose

warchild likes this.