1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What is it about the techno?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Doc Steelgrave, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Doc Steelgrave

Doc Steelgrave Uber Prepared

While perusing threads here I see a lot of spyderco technos. They look cool enough but am I missing something? I was considering a spyderco sage in titanium; about the same price. I have a pm2 that I bought for edc but never carry it. So anyhoo is it the almost perfect small edc knife? Please only the guys and girls that have or had them.

2. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

The techno is a reasonably small and very robust package with quality materials. I hated the blue spacer and put in custom standoffs. It is capable without being threatening.

Doc Steelgrave likes this.
  3. murrydan
    • In Omnia Paratus

murrydan EDC Junkie!!!

I have had tons of Spydercos and, in my opinion, the Techno is Spyderco's best offering to date. The fit and finish is so tight that I don't feel bad leaving my Sebenza at home. The blade is a great steel and slices better than it should. I don't really need an EDC knife that can stab a tank or through 27 layers of kevlar, so the blade size is just fine by me.

Aesthetically, I prefer the shape over the more "feminine" design of the Sage 2. I'm a big guy, 6'6", with XXL hands and the Techno works great with a 3 finger grip.. If I need more umph, I reach for a proper fixed blade.

I just ordered a carbon fiber backspacer for mine, should class it up a bit, the blue is a bit juvenile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc Steelgrave likes this.
  4. Doc Steelgrave

Doc Steelgrave Uber Prepared

OK I am sold. I am 6'4' and was a little worried about the size. Where can I get backspacers please?

murrydan likes this.
  5. murrydan
    • In Omnia Paratus

murrydan EDC Junkie!!!

I get them from cuscadi, they have about 10 to choose from… and they come with free gummy bears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by murrydan, Sep 27, 2014
  6. Slayer2003
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Slayer2003 Loaded Pockets

I'm very on the fence about this knife, I like the materials involved, but I'm worried about the heft to size ratio...

How does it compare to say the Boker Albatros in size/weight? About the same weight? I like knives this size, but I hate the thought of something this small weighing as much as a ZT. :p

7. Cujobob

Cujobob Loaded Pockets

I love the Techno, it's my favorite EDC option at this point. The steel takes a great edge and holds it a long time. The blade finish is very nice looking and feels nice, as well. The knife opens easily via thumb flick or the hole. The blade shape is designed in such a way that it makes for an excellent slicer yet also has a nice tip for prying when needed. Normally, I don't advocate using a pocket knife for that, but it happens occasionally. The blade gets pretty thin near the edge so despite it having a thick spine, it is built for performance. The Techno feels much like a custom knife, the fit and finish are superb, the lock bar has a nice 'click' when it engages, and it's incredibly ergonomic for certain grips. I've let others use mine and seen them drop it by being stupid and it takes abuse like a champ and looks very presentable still. The blue backspacer seems fine to me. I have the Slysz Bowie on the way to me right now and the pictures of it with the black G-10 backspacer don't really seem more appealing than if it had the blue.

I have a small Sebenza insingo and I can honestly say the Techno is a better knife for my purposes. The Sebenza's pocket clip is superior, the tolerances are slightly better (though the Techno is superbly made), and because it's thinner, it is a bit easier to carry. The Techno slices cardboard better, feels better in the grip I use (don't know names of grips, sorry), has better edge retention, and I picked it up for $200 less than the Sebenza. I got mine on Amazon for a good price a year ago or so ($158) but I've seen them at a couple of my favorite online knife shops for $20 more now. That's a lot to dish out for it, I would maybe buy one used if possible just to see if it is for you. It's a bit bulky compared to some knives, but it's a knife that can be used for many tasks.

murrydan and Doc Steelgrave like this.
  8. murrydan
    • In Omnia Paratus

murrydan EDC Junkie!!!

From google images…

[​IMG]

ManVsLawn likes this.
  9. jame

jame Empty Pockets

I've owned one for about two weeks now, and I love it. I did own a sebenza a few years ago, and while the Techno isn't quite up to the Sebenza spec, it's damned close.

Let's phrase it this way: If the Sebenza is a 10, the Techno is a 9 and 1/4.

The steel is wonderful, holding up very well, sharpens reasonably easy, and gets very, very sharp.

I've been looking for the most compact knife I could find that would allow me to do the tasks I would require in a :censored: situation, and this is it. I'm tired of the monster sized 7 ounce frame lock zombie killers. I'm not going to stab or slash any bad guys. I need to open a box or an envelope, and in worst case, pry open a car window or open a can of soup. This one will do it is spades.

Wydern, Doc Steelgrave and murrydan like this.
  10. murrydan
    • In Omnia Paratus

murrydan EDC Junkie!!!

Carbon Fiber backspacer… classes it up a bit.

[​IMG]

JC807 likes this.