1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What is going on with Benchmade quality control?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Matt130, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Matt130
    • In Omnia Paratus

Matt130 Loaded Pockets

Okay, first let me start off by saying that I am a huge Benchmade fan. I own several of their knives, love the designs, and the fit and finish of their blades. I have always had excellent experiences with their customer service and knife warranties and it is the reason I keep buying their products.

That being said, I have ordered 3 Benchmade knives in the last 2 months, each one of them has had a problem. The first knife, a Benchmade 470 Emissary was missing one of the screws on the Axis lock bar. The second knife, a Benchmade 940 Osborne was less than sharp, not to mention a couple minor scratches on the handles. The third knife, which I just received today, a Benchmade 860 Bedlam has terrible blade centering and rubs on the side of the liner. I tightened the pivot screw and it does nothing, just to get the blade from rubbing, the screw has to be tightened almost all the way which makes blade deployment very very slow.

I know if I contact Benchmade they will fix these issues, but only after I pay for postage, insurance, return shipping, and wait between one and two weeks. Is it too much to ask for a blade (usually costing between $125-$225) to not have these kind of issues? I have always considered Benchmade to be the best in the business when it came to quality control and fit and finish, but maybe they are not as good as they used to be.

Has anyone had any problems recently with their new Benchmade knives? I am wondering if this is just some freak coincidence or if others have been having similar experiences. I will be sending these knives in to be serviced by Benchmade ( I already got my 470 fixed), but I wanted to bring up this issue and see what everyone thinks.

2. mlehto

mlehto Loaded Pockets

I have had decent luck with a couple of their Mini Grips, but just find the Delica to be a better knife, and Spyderco to be a better product in general.

I have stopped giving Benchmade my money with all of their legal issues, and copyright :censored: anyways so I won't be finding out.

I'll take your word for it. ;)

Red33, GrayMouser and gibbsrule9 like this.
  3. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

Matt - I don't have many Benchmades, just a 550 full size Grip, 555 mini, and a mini-Bone Collector. I have a 707 on the way and I have not had any issues with any of them. They have become my preferred carry over my Spydercos except the Sage 1 and Para 2. I purchased two of the Benchmades from Amazon and the other two from Cabela's. Where did you purchase from?

4. Coupe_gxp

Coupe_gxp Uber Prepared

Just got two benchmades in the mail last couple of weeks that where quailty pieces

5. Matt130
    • In Omnia Paratus

Matt130 Loaded Pockets

All 3 were from Cutleryshoppe.com

6. nw1911guy

nw1911guy Loaded Pockets

Wow. I would start by contacting Benchmade. Maybe they'll make some concessions in the interest of customer service. I haven't dealt with Cutlery Shoppe in years but they always used to be good. I'd contact them about an exchange or return of the new knife.

Sent from left field using my telegraph

7. Bravo_Kilo
    • In Omnia Paratus

Bravo_Kilo Loaded Pockets

Jeff from Cutlery Shoppe is an ace. I'm positive he'd take care of you if you didn't want to deal with Benchmade directly. That being said, the only problem I've ever had with a new Benchmade is an occasional, less than great factory edge.

Matt130 likes this.
  8. mlehto

mlehto Loaded Pockets

This absolutely kills me about BM.

Buying a $100 + knife, and it comes dull from the factory? Seriously?

And it isn't just the odd knife, this is a well known issues with BM.

Honestly I think if it wasn't for their Axis lock they wouldn't have anything I'd be interested in anyways......

Red33 and GrayMouser like this.
  9. Matt130
    • In Omnia Paratus

Matt130 Loaded Pockets

Jeff from Cutlery Shoppe is awesome! After I contacted Benchmade about my Emissary I also contacted Jeff. He fixed the problem and said it had happened to another customer. I just don't want to keep bothering Jeff, it isn't his fault. I'll contact Benchmade and see what they say.

Bravo_Kilo likes this.
  10. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

About the shipping.. Cant you request a shipping box from benchmade? You know like with prepaid shipping, most larger companies have cooporate shipping deals and so on with the postal companies.. I would never accept to pay return shipping, and if i do i request a refund of my shipping costs, which i have always gotten from EU knife companies.. But dunno how this works in the USA.

Matt130 likes this.
  11. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

It's gratifying to see a retailer take care of business like this (and to see the customer publicly acknowledge :)).

Matt130 likes this.
  12. Matt130
    • In Omnia Paratus

Matt130 Loaded Pockets

I will contact Benchmade and see how they respond. Hopefully they will send out a prepaid box or at least compensate me in some way. No one should have to pay for a knife, then pay again so that the company can fix a problem it caused.

13. Matt130
    • In Omnia Paratus

Matt130 Loaded Pockets

The 940 Osborne I recently purchased has S30V steel, they should be able to get that blade scary sharp. The Emissary I got from Benchmade (missing axis screw aside) was crazy sharp from the factory, it is easily the sharpest knife I have ever owned and it has the same S30V steel as the 940.

Soooooo, in theory since both knives have the same steel, you think Benchmade could at least get similar edges. It is almost like Benchmade doesn't check the knives before sending them out. I know for a fact no one checked my Emissary, how do you ship/sell a knife with half of the locking bar missing?

14. yo mama

yo mama Loaded Pockets

They better pay the postage seeing as you have 3 examples of their screwing up.

So right! Once I got into the Spyderco Manix family though, I found the axis lock inferior to the CBBL.

15. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Statistical probability. Ie: a couple unlucky dice roll purchases.

Unless you have a sample of say a thousand knives produced in 2012 and a thousand from 2002 it's impossible to draw accurate conclusions of regressing standards.

The best production knives will have a spectrum of QC, they are made and inspected by mankind. Customs and semi-customs are not perfect but closer to perfection. They allow a MUCH more liberal F&F and in turn a higher MSRP. In most cases production knives are great; it's a gamble but one worth taking due to odds and painless recourse.

My 2 cents.

16. Bravo_Kilo
    • In Omnia Paratus

Bravo_Kilo Loaded Pockets

While I agree that receiving a dull knife is a moderate annoyance, it's not something that gets my bean bag all in knots. It ain't no thang to roll with it and sharpen a knife, because that's gonna happen eventually anyway. Plus, I actually enjoy sharpening. It speeds the bonding process. Now, things like blade play, missing screws, etc... That's another story.

IMightBeWrong likes this.
  17. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

Weird. I actually took a look at a few in a shop and thought the quality was getting better. Used to be that it was impossible for me to find a Benchmade that wasn't dull as a doorknob, but every knife in the case had a nice edge on it from the factory.

18. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Yeah, that's always bugged me, too. Spyderco, Kershaw, NEVER a dull edge; it would bother me more if I didn't like to put my own edge on my carry knives anyhow.

I own a number of Benchmades — well into double digits — but I haven't bought many lately. Last couple were the large Bone Collector folder and the fancy 581 Barrage with the aluminum bolster, and both were impeccable in fit 'n' finish. I sure hope they haven't let things slip since then.

19. omegaonne

omegaonne Loaded Pockets

Sucks about the dull edge

20. greymethod

greymethod Loaded Pockets

When my Ritter-Mini came unsharpened last time, they sent me a prepaid/preadressed box to send it back to them. Lady was very nice on the phone and they hooked me up.