1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What is EDC

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by JonSidneyB, Mar 28, 2006.

1. night_shift

night_shift Loaded Pockets

I take it literally but perhaps with a twist. It's not what I have "on my person" since especially if it is summer and I am wearing a skirt (without pockets) what I can have on my person is quite limited to clothes and jewelery, but rather, what I don't leave home without for longer than 5-10 minutes. Going out for such a short while typically means grocery shopping and since the store is five minutes away, I just take keys, money and a bag to put the groceries in. I don't really consider it going out of home though, I'm still here.

What I consider EDC is literally what I carry, therefore, what I have with me when I go out for a longer period of time. Lately I've been experimenting with going out for lunch and leaving my bag at the office and it doesn't seem like this practice is going to win. An hour is simply way too much. Typically, the bulkiest item in my bag is a book (if not two), and having something good to read has been my practice since first grade, so no wonder it became a must. So for me at least one of the books I am currently reading is EDC. At least one. This requires a bag of some sorts. (Well... I knew several guys who would go to school with a notebook shoved in one jacket sleeve and a Terry Pratchett novel shoved in the other one, but this has never been my approach, and besides, my books wouldn't fit in there.) The bag also gives extra space, so I can stuff in other items that I find handy, too.

In the end, I just have a lot of stuff with me. I find it all useful, otherwise I wouldn't carry it with me. Would it be so if not for the book(s)? I don't know, but this is what it is. And this is what I concider EDC - what I feel uncomfortable without when I get away from home. Home is a different story. Home is where all of these items are located, after all.

PS Fun story. I used to work at a, what do you call them, DIY stores or whatever, there were bags meant to carry tools. Heavy stuff. I found one bag that I liked and I figured I'd rather get it since the weight of my books destroyed everything else. I got it and used it until the weight of my books destroyed it, too. Books are :censored: heavy, it turns out. Oh, well. I'll keep carrying them.

Busmech, JOE68, Rich73 and 2 others like this.
  2. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

My one grandfather carried a pocket knife, house keys, a handkerchief, a zippo lighter, pack of smokes, a wallet, a coin purse, and wore a Braille watch.
    My other grandfather carried a wallet, coin purse, pocket knife, handkerchief, house and car keys, and wore a watch.
    My Dad wore a watch, carried a wallet, house and car keys, and a coin purse.
    My grandmothers and my mother always had a purse that, viewed as a child, contained everything for every occasion.
    None of these people had "EDC" items.
    I for years carried stuff in my pockets or in a backpack, but didn't "EDC".
    It wasn't until I read it on the internet that I apparently "EDCed"
    "EDC" in my opinion, defines itself by the unique circumstances and the persons who are carrying the items.
    For instance, during the winter months I "EDC" gloves and a knit hat.
    So to me "EDC" becomes "TDC" ---- THAT day's carry.
    Now a core group of items may make that cut every day, but other's become situationally necessary.
    Since everyone is unique and circumstances are ever evolving perhaps a "definition" of EDC could be just as fluid.

Busmech, night_shift, Rich73 and 2 others like this.
  3. zarnch

zarnch Empty Pockets

how could be named... if i always carry a knife and a flashlight, but those items are in rotation...
    i mean something like...
    monday boker
    tuesday crkt
    wednesday spyderco
    thursday victorinox
    friday spyderco

can it be considered an EDC?? wanted to say, if i carry one knife no matter wich one is... can it be an EDC or This DAy CArry??

many people say... why you call it EDC if you don't USE it daily
    you bear those items, but you dont use them....

Busmech likes this.
  4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

The acronym is EDC; as in carry daily. It is not EDU; as in use daily. Many of us carry quite a few items, but don't use them. It's a about a state of preparedness. The concept isn't new.

aicolainen and charlie fox like this.
  5. zarnch

zarnch Empty Pockets

of course!!! i like to have and don't need, that to need and don't have.
    many of us carry things just in case,but i´ve found people asking something like:
    "why you carry a flashlight, there is no public lighting in you city? or even more ridiculous like "who you are gonna kill with these knife?"
    they realy dont know we carry knives for opening boxes, cutting some plastic wires, papers, food prepparing, etc etc.
    i don think to use my knife for hurt people...

6. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Oh, brother...There's that insipid, hackneyed internet staple again. Always makes me toss my cookies when I read it.

I don't even respond to them anymore. And I don't even help them out. When they ask me to borrow a blade, I just them that I left it at home. Fornicate 'em!

7. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Interesting how differently people think about the definition of EDC.
    Although I agree with many, and to some extent disagree with others, I don't really think anybody put it in writing the way I think of it.

Although I wouldn't consider EDC to have a fixed definition, I do consider EDC to be more of a state of mind. It's closely related to prepping, but maybe in a less all-encompassing, :censored: kind of way. It's about not being indifferent to your situation and surroundings. In the army we called it "mental preparation". It's basically how you combine reflection and projection to find the best way to solve the challenges ahead and predict possible problems in advance. Or in other words, use what you've learned from past experience in combination with available information to make deliberate choices.
    Most of us live in a society where mental preparation is somewhat redundant. The safety net of our governments are so rigid that even the most mindless and indifferent will survive, most of the time. Combine this with the simple fact that humans tend to not spend time and energy where not needed and that our reward system prefer instant gratification, it's no wonder most people spend more time on social media than they do planning ahead to ensure their own well being.

In that context, I think everything we decide to bring or not to bring with us as the result of a deliberate thought process, is actual EDC.
    It doesn't matter if it's on body, in a bag, in your car or if the items changes from day to day. You learn from past experience, you plan ahead, you adapt and you take control of your own situation and well being. You EDC.

Some argue that only items we carry on body are true EDC or that they quite literally have to be carried every day to be considered EDC. I think that is over simplifying and kind of distracting from whole the purpose of EDC; planning ahead and making deliberate choices. Most of what we carry on our body isn't really important at all. They are comfort items, or in more provocative words; cheat items. The items we fall back on when we fail to plan (well enough) ahead. As conscious EDCers we at least make failure part of our plan, this harking back to the "predict possible problems in advance" part in the first section. We are more self sufficient and more self reliant.
    As an extreme example, carrying just a cell phone and a credit card with unlimited credit 24/7 would get you through most difficult situations, and could be considered true EDC in a literal sense, but you might not have a true EDC mindset when you rely on buying your way out of the situation, or to get others to come to your rescue.

Busmech and LEDFreak like this.
  8. victograph

victograph Loaded Pockets

Lots of very thoughtful posts here. I don’t have a firm definition of what my edc items are but the discussion here helps
    For me EDC carries two different meanings:
    Every Day Challenges: situations I may encounter that I have some idea I will come across and other situations that may arise without warning.
    Elective Deliberate Choice: the conscious decision to carry items with me I believe will help in those everyday situations. For thise who don’t every give it a second thought and carry nothing, that is also a decision, one which carries its own consequences and frustration when you encounter the challenges of the day.
    I take time every morning ti check that I have spare batteries for my “ears” because I never know when I will need them or what will happen when I can no longer hear.
    Those along with a changing list of other items do make up my EDC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LEDFreak likes this.
  9. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

I have a rather split view on what exactly EDC is.

On the one hand, the definition is in the name: Every Day Carry. It's what you carry every day. Its what you pack your pockets, purse, or backpack with and take with you, every day. Is your EDC knife really edc if it only gets carried one day a week, because you rotate through different knives every day? Technically no, it's not, because you're not carrying that one particular item every day. Based on that strict definition I doubt many, if anyone here, has a true EDC carry because we're all gear nerds and swap things out constantly in the endless pursuit of the 'ideal' gear loadout. But this is being pedantic about it.

On the other hand, I think EDC is more a mindset of being ready for the most likely things life will throw at you, backed by a generic toolset. I can't see in the dark, so I carry a headlamp in my EDC bag. I want to always have a cutting tool on my person, so I always carry a knife; it's not always the same knife but I always have one. I dont wear the same watch every day, but I do always wear one. EDC to me is more about having the capabilities than having any specific item.

As has been said, it's related to the prepper mindset albeit with less urgency on emergencies. EDC is being ready for the likely and inconvenient, whereas prepping is being ready for the unlikely and potentially dangerous. I might need a pen today to sign a receipt: while most places have pens on hand for me to use, I'd rather carry my own so that I know I have one. I might need to look under my desk at work to find said pen after dropping it, so I carry a flashlight. I might want to get water from a fountain, so I carry a water bottle.

To me, EDC is about being prepared for things that are likely to happen and things that would be inconvenient if you were not prepared.

Moshe ben David likes this.