1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What is EDC

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by JonSidneyB, Mar 28, 2006.

1. AkimboCarry

AkimboCarry Loaded Pockets

I think "EDC" has been twisted by internet forums and the like. The literal meaning, "Every Day Carry" is the best and only way to interpret this in my opinion. Your EDC is, by definition, the things you carry on your person, or in a carrying device, EVERY day wothout fail. If not, then it cannot be classified as every day carry. YMMV

Sent from an underground bunker

Busmech likes this.
  2. Jonzakas

Jonzakas Empty Pockets

I think that if you go with bicycle every day, for example to work you wont count as professional cyclist but like professional you do that every day just a bit different.
    All people cary some items every day, and in a word that is EDC, but I would not count it like an EDC.
    When i started to be intersted with EDC my bag didnt became heavier it became lighter.
    Now I am aware of what I carry and why, because I give lot more attention to that than some other people. And that give me some advantages wich I like and thats why I do it.
    :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Stealth digger

Stealth digger Loaded Pockets

EDC to me is exactly what those three words mean. They are the items that I do not choose to carry with me everyday but they are the items that have evolved into a part of my wardrobe. I don't switch out anything for fun or experimentation on a daily basis and I no way do I knock the folks who do because I find it absolutely fascinating to see what people carry in there pockets, especially on this forum
    . One example is the Swiss Army knife that has been going on my belt for 14 years without contemplation and not until now do I realize how long I have had it that makes it an everyday carry item. I do get new items like everyone else from time to time and some stay with me and others fall out of the daily routine. Even now I am carrying items that are new but i do not consider them EDC items because they have not earned that status in my mind.

I only carry what I will use and use everything I carry.

Love the forums
    Charlie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pacrawshaw, keith1234 and sparkyjim like this.
  4. Stealth digger

Stealth digger Loaded Pockets

5. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I like the categories of EDC... From actually carrying everyday, to the 'day-bag' EDC'er, to the "levels" of EDC, to the Kits....

I probably steal from many of those ideas.

But EDC kinda ran hand in hand with the ol' boy scout motto, "always be prepared!". I feel that certain things just make life more livable. Common tools that get common usage (knife, MT, screwdriver set, duct tape, etc...). It always plays into making my day more efficient. If I don't have to run to the truck to fix something, I save 5 or 10 minutes at any given location. Multiply that by 4 maybe 5 times I may need that tool, it becomes an EDC item. It truly matters when one works by the job and not by the hour....

As humans, we define ourselves by the tools we carry and use, make and manipulate. Sometimes it just easier to have that tool on ya as often as possible.

Grrrrreat post. Now to eat some Frosted Flakes!

No Agenda and keith1234 like this.
  6. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

EDCing is something everyone does. My grandmother does it. look in her purse, you'll find snacks, napkins/tissues, some over the counter medicines, not unlike the contents of many edc bags/kits you'll read about here on the forums. I've never heard her talk about EDC, but she frequently has whatever is needed in her purse.

EDCers are people who actually put a little time/thought/research into being picky about what they carry.

7. hunter s gatherer
    • In Omnia Paratus

hunter s gatherer EDC Junkie!!!

It started as a kid. For me "be prepared". Living in the country wandering around field, stream, and forest having a tool on myself made me feel prepared. In early adulthood the penknife turned into a SAK. More tools for more tasks and situations. Now it's a bag o stuff here n there and a truck with loaded compartments. But still always the SAK in the pocket at the minimum.

Rich73, CNeal and keith1234 like this.
  8. DavyJ

DavyJ Loaded Pockets

Double post deleted

9. DavyJ

DavyJ Loaded Pockets

I think there is a grey area between edc and the kind of deliberate preppyness that goes beyond solving work/general daily life problems. I would imagine that most people can find and define a bunch of stuff they carry as edc - even if they ahve never thought about it that way. However, there is a set of people who carry stuff that is unlikely to come into play unless some extraordinary event occurs.

I guess what I am saying is that there seems to be a difference between everyday carry and everday common usage. IMHO natch!

CNeal and keith1234 like this.
  10. CNeal

CNeal Loaded Pockets

As a tradesmen I have carried a MT and flashlight in my pocket/belt for the better part of 30 years ( was SAK until leatherman 20 years ago). Both on and off work because I just came to rely in them so much.
    My "edc" pretty much stayed that way until about 18 months ago when I needed to start wearing glasses and Rx sunglasses. Suddenly I had to carry something that wouldn't fit in a pocket and just wasn't convenient to keep in the truck so I started looking at carry options. Along about that same time I decided I should walk to work everyday do I needed a larger bag for work stuff( lunch thermos cold weather gear rain gear you know the stuff that was always in the truck. Then I thought well what else was in the truck I took for granted....

Soon I needed an even bigger bag....now I've come full circle and driving to work again but I'll not give up the convenience and piece of mind I get from having my colossus full of my stuff always right there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavyJ and ManVsLawn like this.
  11. D552

D552 Loaded Pockets

Best thread I've seen here, loved reading everyone's comments and thoughts about EDC philosophy. For me EDC represents a comfort zone that I want to have as I go about my daily life. The items I carry are specific, based on my lifestyle, profession, and experiences. I try to tailor down what I carry to the most essential items that I believe would help me survive until I was able to get somewhere with more recourses available. The items are based on my experience and what I have learned are life's little essentials for what I do and the area I am typically in. My bag wouldn't work for others and vise versa, it's a part of who I am and a sum of my lessons learned over time. A great deal of time, energy and effort (and money) go into putting together a kit for your individual needs. It is also very satisfying and gives you peace of mind to have have something set up just for you. It adds to a person's uniqueness and represents who THEY are. And the fun part is that we can all learn from each other and contribute positive advice to others who want to find their own unique way to enhance their comfort level in life.

Sent from your mom's house...

JustinJ likes this.
  12. siwaly

siwaly Empty Pockets

Here in France same thing the laws are strict its like the UK ,but you guys are right edc depends on what you do and what kind of environment you live in !!! but being prepared is the key of success in any kind of situation you are in .

No Agenda likes this.
  13. Kyle Davis

Kyle Davis Guest

Edc also is that electric daisy carnival thing that was in Las Vegas a wile ago.

14. destro1103

destro1103 Loaded Pockets

I consider EDC as the things a carry daily if I can. I put them in categories. For example. I carry a knife, multi tool, flashlight, and watch daily. I have several of each. Some makes and models I carry more often than others.

15. Tropicheat

Tropicheat Loaded Pockets

Anything you always carry?

16. Blade Girl

Blade Girl Banned

Well said!

Busmech likes this.
  17. Blade Girl

Blade Girl Banned

As a writer/author/journalist/thinker/biker (bicycle) I always have lots of pens and notebooks... and from time to time, I get inspired to sketch. I can't draw, really, unless I am inspired. The same holds true with what I write. There are those rare, special moments when one is out and about away from home and he or she becomes inspired, has a thought, or even just needs to write something down to remember real fast---how many times have we had that happen, yet, did not have the right things on our person in order to do so?

On a more serious note, add to that, there are times when we the unexpected happens and many people are never prepared. In fact, people have needlessly died and/or had to suffer a lengthy stay in a medical facility just because they were not prepared as they should have been.

So I think EDC by all means can have different meanings for different people, depending upon the situation. My thoughts are, 'be prepared for whatever may come your way, or whatever direction you are headed in life...'

Thanks for the thought inspiring post.

Busmech and vegassprky like this.
  18. LongarmoftheLaw

LongarmoftheLaw Loaded Pockets

Plain meaning, certainly, is "things you carry every day." But it's very interesting to see how that is interpreted differently by different folks. Some have a more strict definition than others, some include things that accompany them every day, but in their car, office, whatever, while some insist on strict "body carry" to be included. To me, anything you consciously choose to carry every day, notwithstanding that every now and then you might forget for whatever reason, is EDC. I wouldn't necessarily include a BoB or USK you keep in your car as EDC, I would just put it in a different category, but a bag you keep with you at all times I would consider EDC.

To me, the critical thread that defines EDC is the philosophical underpinnings of it, the thought that goes into carrying items for whatever specific purpose they fulfill. Every human being carries some things on a regular enough basis to be considered "every day," but not all of those people put the thought and consideration into them that EDC'ers always do.

My journey of "true" EDC'ing (and preparedness in general) came with the realization that as a person, I am the kind of guy who will never just pass by on the other side, so to speak. If I see a fellow person in real need of help, I'm going to try to help. On top of that, I like to take on problems directly, and yet I realized I was woefully unprepared for much of anything in general. I simply didn't put much thought into what I had with me at any given time. Sure, I might muddle through, but I had no forethought into what I had with me.

This realization led me to want to change things. I started doing some thinking and some research, and I realized how deeply the idea of "be prepared" resonated with me. It always did in my professional life, but I realized it needed to in my private life as well. Now my EDC is fairly robust, but I'm always looking to streamline and improve it if possible, without losing any functionality, and adding some if possible.

Busmech likes this.
  19. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

I was thinking about my various hobbies today and i thought about this whole EDC thing I got into less than a year ago. For me, it all started as a hobby like other stuff that I do, like guitar playing, tool collecting/using, motorcucle repair... And I think it still kind of is, it's more of a group of hobbies : knives, watches, MTs and so on. And so I thougt about it because a lot of stuff that I get into last for a while, a buy some nice stuff, and then I continue using it, without upgrading if I found something I really like. That's exactly what I did with all this shaving gear and stuff :
    -I discovered it because I was having problems
    -I read a lot of stuff for a while
    -Then bought some well known references (like buying a SKX007 when getting into watches). But not usually beginner references, so I don't own any tenacious, or Rat 1 or Griptilian.. Got the Gayle Bradley :p
    -And then I just use it and kind of lose interest in it when it just works great, or at least good enough to my standards. I sometimes look at some new gear and think to myself "Hummm but the one I got is better, soooo nope"

I think of EDC as more of a journey (for me at least) where I have to find the exact stuff I want. For knives, for now I can't justify buying another one since I got my Gayle Bradley and Ladybug, I just don't need it. For watches, I'm still looking for the right one, so I have some G-shocks, a SKX007, a Komandirskie and soon a Vostok and I think i'll be done. Maybe one day I'll get a nicer one, who knows. As for MTs, I have stopped looking when I got my Charge Tti. Luckily it was my first plier based MT, so I haven't spent a lot on that "group".
    So now I'm wandering on the forums, seeing what might get my interest, like a spinning top or dices, or fountain pens and what might actually see some use or complement what i already have (lanyards for knives, straps for watches).

So what all of this leaves me are "finished hobbies" that kind of pile up in my place, that I can't sell because I use the majority of it; and I haven't really found a hobby that really lasts. I got into shooting, so i have a rifle, I did archery, photography, horse riding, auto repair, motorcycle riding and repair (gotta keep it healthy!), did weight lifting, some bushcraft, programming, gaming, electronics, judo, piano, guitar, bass playing, and a whole lot of other stuff :p

Busmech likes this.
  20. Rich73

Rich73 Loaded Pockets

It's just having what I might need. No way of knowing what be useful but some of it comes from experience. In basic training we were told on Day One to always have a notebook and pen and I have lost count of the number of people who ask to borrow a pen. A SAK is a handy thing to have because it can solve so many possible challenges. In my bag I always have water, an EDC pouch with bits and pieces and a First Aid kit too. If I'm not carrying a bag I don't sweat it. Notebook and pen because they fit in my pockets, keychain (with little SAK and a pry-bar, and a handkerchief. But I admit not many things are more frustrating than needing something and knowing it's at home in a draw. My Dad knew a US Army officer who told him "It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."