1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What is EDC

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by JonSidneyB, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Loaded Pockets

as i said in another topic similar to this:

I EDC however my EDC changes daily. I might EDC my Emerson A100 and my LAPD7060 light one day, then the next i might EDC a Emerson Snubby and a Fenix TK11 etc etc etc.

Its still EDC. :D

2. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Fundamentally, I feel like it's a want rather than a need for many of us. If you don't happen to have a job which requires kit etc, maybe you just want it.. I'm one of those. And what's wrong with that? My EDC is whatever I feel I must have on my person at that time.

Let's face it, you don't need to wear pants, but you probably feel better with them on eh?!

JustinJ and Mumbojumboo like this.
  3. gern_blanston

gern_blanston Loaded Pockets

That is very well put. Exactly what I consider EDC to be.
    My Car EDC and my BOB are always around, but the stuff that's with me when I go into the grocery store, or take my kids to the park, or into my office, are true EDC. Maybe I should call it 'ATC' (All the Time Carry) or 'CC' (Constant Carry) or something.

4. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

To me, EDC is just what the abbreviation implies. I really only have 3-4 items in my pocket at one time, and I don't routinely carry a bag of any type. I have to be careful on how I label my own gear, which in all honesty, is more once-in-a-while-carry. This, of course, changes with jobs/schools/whatever. 5 years ago, my job required me to carry several of the more commonly labeled EDC items, but that has changed. I used to go to night school and had another pile of EDC, but since I've graduated, that has also changed.

So after retyping this several times, I've noticed the keyword is "change", so I guess I'll sum it up by saying: EDC items are anything you can carry with you any day of the week, not necessarily every day of the week. My feelings, anyway.

5. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

jonsidneyc I applaud your strategy. My tactical goal is to learn. For me there is no wrong strategy. Only tactics that don't work for me. But only after I try them out. My strategy is not to prepare for the "End of the world". My strategy is to prepare for when the ":censored:". I'm not a survivalist. I'm just trying to make it through one day at a time.

6. Surferbruce

Surferbruce Empty Pockets

To me it's interesting because the EDC idea is all about preparedness and practicality in the real world, but is also an open ended concept that's different for everyone. EDC (for me) is also situationally/ enviromentally dependent but basically boils down to what you walk out the door with each day. The items/gear will change, but the mindset is the same. For me it's part of a larger philosophy of preparedness and survival. My B.O.B. is not really part of my EDC but is certainly tied into the same general idea of being as prepared as possible for what life throws at you.
    In reality, everyone has some level of EDC, assuming you leave the house with some clothes and a wallet (or anything really). Women usually have men beat hands down in the "prepped" EDC vain by virtue of carrying a purse. When I was a kid my grandmother always had tons of stuff in her purse to handle any emergency.
    Really in the end there is no "perfect" EDC set up- hopefully just an ever evolving awareness of ourselves in the world around us.

7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Loaded Pockets

having been in hi rise building fires, and having been in situations of power loss in theaters and panicked patrons freeaking out, EC to me is gear that enables me to survive fire/disaster/riots/etc, in an urban environ, and allow me to treat my own injuries, protect myself, and get out via forced building deconstruction if need be.

8. Dizos

Dizos Loaded Pockets

Well said, and welcome to EDCF!

9. CF

CF Loaded Pockets

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Above to me seems the most inclusive paradigm of EDC. I might revise as follows... "

So, if EDC is viewed as a tool "using and carrying" system to help meet certain objectives, what potential objectives are out there?

EDC Systems enhance the ability to meet the following potential EDC Objectives *:
    - Personal defense: tools for use as weapons.
    - Physical capacity for work: tools in the general/traditional sense. For example: lights, pry bars, bottle openers, multi-tools
    - Communications: cell phones, mirrors, walk talkies, etc.
    - Medical/physical recovery/maintenance: First Aid kits, medicine, medical condition specific cirumstances (eg., diabetes)
    - Recreation: ipods, MP3 players, gaming devices
    - Other?
    ----> * priority and importance relative to the individual needs / circmustances

EDC Systems can be implemented in two broad carry approaches **:
    - Body Carry
    - Other than Body Carry
    ----> ** Bags, wallets, pouches, etc. are other tools for applicable EDC carry approach

ManVsLawn likes this.
  10. CF

CF Loaded Pockets

Given the above, I would make the following assertions / observations:

1. Some folks have varying objectives, some more/less important than the other, which impacts the contents of / approach to their EDC.

2. My priorities are as follows: Enhance personal defense, enhance physical capacity for work, enhance communications.

3. Some folks only choose to focus on "body carry" approach; Some folks choose to expand "other than body approach" to include car, storage areas, house.

4. Right now my focus is body carry. I want all my objectives enhanced with tools "on my body."

5. I also use a large tool bag as my 5-day-a-week briefcase. Tools in that carry system may also enhance my objectives. I may have a few things for recreational and medical needs, but not much.

6. Within my briefcase, I also have a loaded Maxped Pocket organizer, used as a mini "man bag / pouch". This also enhances my prioritized objectives, and I keep this easily accessible at all times. I won't leave the house via my car without it. I may leave it behind when going for a long walk/hike, but most likely any needed tools in it will be brought with me in another Other-than-body-carry tool: back pack or Maxped Fatboy.

11. CF

CF Loaded Pockets

So if I were to label myself, I would consider myself a minimalist with expansive capability if required.

My Objectives
    - Personal defense
    - Physical capacity for work
    - Communications

Body Carry Approach
    Personal defense:
    > S&W 637, RF in Uncle Mike's pocket holster
    > Benchmade McHenry & Williams Folder in Bill's Urban Wallet, LF pocket
    > Kubotan stylus in Bill's Urban Wallet, LF pocket
    Physical capacity for work
    > Streamlight Stylus Pro in Bill's Urban Wallet, LF pocket
    > SAK Multitool in Bill's Urban Wallet, LF pocket
    > Zebra Pen and small pieces of paper in Bill's Urban Wallet, LF pocket
    > Cash/credit in Maxped Urban Wallet, LR pocket
    Communications
    > Palm Centro in Otterbox riding on belt
    > ID (drivers license, CCW Permit, in Maxped Urban Wallet, LR pocket)

Other than Body Carry Approach
    Personal defense:
    -----Tool Bag Briefcase
    > ASP Baton
    > Spare ammo
    > Cold Steel Sharkie
    Physical capacity for work
    -----Tool Bag Briefcase
    > Scissors, combat scissors
    > Large multitool
    > Small pad of paper
    > Extra flashlight
    -----Maxped Pocket Organizer
    > Gerber EAB razor blade,
    > Stanley Screwdriver
    > Nail clippers
    > Sharpie marker
    > Extra small AAA flashlight
    > Safety whistle
    > 2 spare AAA batteries
    > Tweezers, pen/pencil
    > Extra credit cards/ID I don't want/need on my person
    -----Keychain
    > Small light, small multitool, carabiner for Body carry and non-body carry
    Medical/physical recovery/maintenance
    -----Tool Bag Briefcase:
    > Allergy meds
    > Vitamin E lotion
    > Ibuprofin
    > sunglasses (protect my eyes)
    Recreation
    -----Tool Bag Briefcase:
    > Cammenga Lensatic compass
    > UnderArmor Visor
    Other
    > Keys

12. B_H_

B_H_ Loaded Pockets

everyday carry is simply that. what you carry EVERYday. so something u only carry on the weekends or every other tuesday is not edc. every day i carry my wallet, my phone, my keys and my knife. anything else i have on a specific day is not edc. i am a minimalist so im constantly trying to tweak my edc to be light or less. if i can find one thing that does the work of two items i currently carry then i stop carrying the two items and carry just the one. that is why i read edc forums like this, so i can tweak the gear i carry everyday. most people it seems get on here only to purchase more and more stuff.

13. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

I should carry a wooden stake and some garlic. BECAUSE This thread is undead! 3 pages long, orig post 2006?

Here is my 2 cents. I have a collection of EDC type stuff. Some situations call for some tools, other for others. I try to plan accordingly, with a layer of backup in the car, if I have one available. Safe queens are not EDC. That is a fetish or a talisman, or a good luck charm, or art, or a gadget, but it sure as heck not carried every day. I love looking at, and reading about crazy custom equipment, but it is not really EDC if its not carried every day. I have a set of stuff for tuxedo and suit wear, water and beach, woods, mountains, etc. My true core EDC is wallet, knife, keys, cellphone, flashlight. Every time.

Next post 9-12-2020

B_H_ likes this.
  14. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

Yeah, I have a sort of tiered system. I have cannot-leave-the-house-without-it stuff in a super lightweight runner's pack. Contains ID, a bit of cash, SAK, small light, and a set of spare keys. The specific light and SAK will vary. The package is small and light and I can wear it all day and forget it's there.

Then, I have a larger bag, usually a shoulder bag, but this too can vary. That load is more like what others have shown as their EDC loadout. But this larger bag is not in the strictest sense my true EDC load because I might not carry it with me if I'm just making a quick run to the supermarket.

15. David L. Holt

David L. Holt Loaded Pockets

I see a component of EDC as being upgrading what you carry to be a bit more useful. Carry Chapstick? I switched to Carmex since it is a mild analgesic and antiseptic. I switched my pen that I carried every day to a tactical with a glass breaker tip since 2 of my good friends have rolled their cars and had to break a window to get out. Switched all of my shoelaces to 550 cord (which I actually used today helping a friend move when a hook on a strap broke on the highway). Changed my notebook to a Rite in the Rain so it's waterproof. I also carry a small first aid kit, light, multitool, etc... But the first part of my EDC was switching the cheap crap that I carried for things with a bit more utility. EDC is a form of Every Day Preparedness for me.

16. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

A noun and a verb.

17. Prybry

Prybry Loaded Pockets

EDC

Items carried personally to enhance our limited ability to deal with daily life.
    These items often become the apparatus which define “us” to our closest friends and relatives.

I can tell you a lot about a man by emptying his pockets…
    It’s not simply related to “what” he carries, more the “what” he can accomplish with it.

Prybry

18. zatoichi

zatoichi Loaded Pockets

Keeping it simple, I see my EDC as to what is in my pockets.

Today I have a cell phone, wallet and keys to my life.

Moving forward I will carry a folder as I recently dumped my firestarter.

As to what I carry in my backpack, that is a much more comprehensive thing. I use a Maxpediton Vulture II,an EDC organizer, Maxpedition Neatfreak and a Spec Ops Pack Rat. I carry a lot of gear.

19. Solomon

Solomon Loaded Pockets

Although there are a few things I do generally PHYSICALLY bring with me virtually all the time, like my watch, there is only ONE thing that I now know to bring with me regardless of the circumstances. That's the awareness that G-d is the supreme creator of all that exists now, in the past, and in the future....that every single physical thing in this world comes from Him/Her. That His/Her providence is over everything... constantly. Everything you have can be taken away from you in an instant. It sometimes takes those kinds of situations for individuals to really know what's important in their lives:: their continued existence, their loved ones existence (including pets) and their connection to G-d. All the rest is merely icing on the cake.

20. Idaho Gunslinger

Idaho Gunslinger Loaded Pockets

I personally consider "true EDC" to only be the things that are on me everyday. Gun, reload, knife, multi, Flashlight, wallet, phone. However, I frequently carry MUCH more than that. In fact, I carry a Zippo about 90% of the time, but I don't quite consider it a "True" EDC.