1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What is EDC

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by JonSidneyB, Mar 28, 2006.

1. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

When I look across the Internet, I find that many groups use this term. Knives, Flashlights, Cameras, Pens, Handguns, and a great many other things often have the label of EDC attached to them. Many interest groups claim that it originated with them. I have no idea when this term came into being or where it came from.

Everyday carry seem obvious enough but when you look closer you will see that the definition can be quite loose.

If we carry a certain Item 5 days out of the week, is it EDC? I think it still is.

What if we carry an item all of the time except under special conditions when we substitute it with a more specialized tool or larger tool? I still think it is EDC but this is open to debate.

I generally think of an EDC item as a smaller than normal item that is carried with an individual most of the time but I can see how that does not always hold.

EDC I think is different things to different people in one way or another. I have seen people debate about this subject but sometimes they only see if from their point of view. A person in a rural area might have different needs than a person from a city. One person’s life might depend on his EDC one day while another person just likes to have the item. EDC might be different for people depending on their occupation or hobbies. One person may EDC a full sized item where other carries a small item. I am not sure how tight or how loose the boundaries of EDC should be. Perhaps we can figure this out or maybe there is no perfect answer.

Why would a person EDC? My thoughts are that there are many reasons that people would do so. It could be that it is really useful and practical to EDC many items for daily use. Some items may be carried a lot but used little awaiting some need that might occur. Several EDC items are functional or non-functional luxury items or status symbols. An EDC item can be a comfort item or just fun to have and play with. I am sure there are many other reasons besides these.

If it is in your car everyday, is that another level of EDC? I don't know what I think on this but have had the thought many times. Maybe there are levels of EDC.

It is my hope that we will have people from all walks of life from diverse groups by occupation, hobby, region, lifestyle, and any other thing that might make our look at EDC more well rounded. If I get the kind of group I would like to see, I think we run the risk of many disagreements on things but also the opportunity to learn from each other as well.

2. Okie_Chick

Okie_Chick Loaded Pockets

Nicely put JonSidneyB!! :) :) :) :)

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  3. JimH

JimH Empty Pockets

I think the concept of EDC levels is a great idea. Personally, I have 2 levels of EDC, but others may have many.

Level 1 - Stuff I carry on my person. This stuff is always with me, anywhere, any time - at work, at home watching TV, 4 wheeling, at the movies, morning, day, and night, etc.

Level 2 - Stuff in my EDC bag. This is stuff that is usually one of 3 places, but always where I can get to it fairly quickly - in my office (cubicle [​IMG]), in my car, truck, or jeep, or at home if that's where I am. If I go into a store, I don't take it with me. If I'm away from the office, I don't take it with me. If I'm going to be where I can't get to it easily, then I either hand carry it, or use the fanny pack strap (the Proteus is convertable).

CIVSD, Anyday Carry and siwaly like this.
  4. Bravo 25

Bravo 25 Empty Pockets

I posted this in the general forum I guess I should have put it here. I have about 4 catagories of EDC.

I have edc items that I want on my person.
    I have edc items that I want in my MPB no further than my office
    I have edc items that I want in the vehicle, no further away than the parking lot.
    I have edc item in the vehicle just for when the :censored:.

siwaly likes this.
  5. pianoman

pianoman Empty Pockets

great idea

6. PWork

PWork Empty Pockets

I have my every day/all the time EDC.
    I have my car EDC.
    I have my woods EDC.
    I have EDC's for specialized purposes.

EDC can, and does, mean many things.

siwaly likes this.
  7. metalhed

metalhed Empty Pockets

It's a human tradition. One of the things that makes us special.

Humans have the ability to make predictions about what the future might hold. That's why we've always carried tools and supplies with us, to make survival more likely. To be better prepared for that we can foresee.

Consider for a moment the ancient, mummified frozen body called 'Oetzi'. He carried many items intended to make his travels less risky and easier. And he did it 5300 years ago. (He also had tattoos, but that's a discussion for another forum.)

I know for me, that's what I'm doing when I carry items with me away from home. BTW, that's how I define EDC. It's what I carry in public and when traveling, no matter the distance. I generally don't feel the need to carry too much of it at home.

So for me, the three flashlights, the two multitools, the extra batteries, and the meds make me feel as though I'm better prepared for some of the daily risks I might face in our modern society. Luckily for me, it's much more likely that I'll need to find something I dropped in a dark place, tighten something, or need an antacid than I'll need to kill something with a copper axe.

Of course, if I could find a way to discretely carry that axe... :D

8. idleprocess

idleprocess Empty Pockets

In my book, there has to be some base level of day-to-day functionality for EDC.

First, I can only carry so much stuff comfortably in the 4 pockets that most pants have... and I typically only use 3 of those pockets. If it doesn't fit in my pockets, it has to be somewhat discrete on a belt. I already have a cellphone and ID card on that belt most of the time, so that really only leaves 1 opening, and not all the time. I used to carry a Pelican M6 flashlight in a belt holster and it just didn't quite work out - too large, too obtrusive and oddly enough too capable.

Second, I have to use it often enough or possibly need it enough to carry it daily. First aid kit, spare batteries, multitool, snakebit kit, GPS receiver, emergency rations, etc... I just don't use often enough. I inhabit civilization; I count on it not being too distant during daily life.

Last (mostly a correllary to "second"), I acknowledge that although there's an element of emergency-preparedness in all this, there's also techno-geekery at work as well as simple convenience. I carry two flashlights because I like flashlights; a big knife mostly to cut open the occasional package or use as a super-light duty prybar or probe; a small torch because ... I really have no real need for it, but it came in handy once when my vehicle's door lock froze; a set keychain screwdriver set mostly for convenience when I don't want to fetch one from the toolbox.

I think I have a decent toolkit for minor emergencies and would likely have an edge in the event of anything serious... but "ready for anything" I can't ever be with the contents of my pockets and what I can wear on my belt, dressed appropriately for work.

I know some people that rattle of paragraphs of junk they "EDC." I'm of the opinion that's something close to nuts. If you have a "bail out bag" in your home, car, or workplace that's one thing. But to try to carry that stuff with you every day? Is civilization that unreliable? That terrified of the next big unpredictable disaster? That untrusting of your fellow man?

In fairness, I have a bunch of additional junk in a backpack that I carry every day I'm out "on business" (work, school, etc), but other than one more flashlight and spare cells, there's little "disaster preparedness" there - mostly digicam, batteries for the digicam, a game system w/sofwtare & charger, cellphone battery/charger, "padfolio" w/writing utensils, and whatever odds & ends I stuff in there. When traveling, the backpack becomes a means of carrying some additional stuff for convenience - water/snacks/etc ... but never a bail out bag.

aicolainen and siwaly like this.
  9. AirForceShooter

AirForceShooter Empty Pockets

and here in Florida with hurricane season coming the EDC now includes what we stuff in our BOB's.

AFS

10. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Loaded Pockets

EDC: It wasn't more than a couple of days ago that it hit me that I was not sure what EDC really meant. I figured it out and now there is a forum devoted to the topic.

I think the EDC thing is best put in catagories. For example if you carry a knife or gun on your person daily, then that is true EDC. A BOB ("bug-out-bag") can have many of the more utiliatarian things that you feel you might need in the event you need to make a quick exit from where ever you are due to some survival situation or pending diaster such as a hurricane or whatever. I enjoy talking about the what if scenarios as they make you think about possibilites and how you would react to them.

I commented in another forum about knives that I preferred a particular knife for the BOB situation. It hit me that I was leaving all the good stuff at home for someone to steal in the event of an true regional emergency. Need to rethink these kinds of things.

Hope the forum is successful as this is my first post here.

11. denise

denise Empty Pockets

Greetings 22-rimfire and welcome to our forum. Thanks for joining!

siwaly likes this.
  12. Stevie

Stevie Empty Pockets

Here in the UK your EDC is limited by circumstances and the law. Knife wise my EDC has to be a non locking sub 3 inch pen-knife but in work I can use a lock-knife so I can carry the lock-knife to and from work, the rest of the time it's back to basics. :-\

siwaly likes this.
  13. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Empty Pockets

My EDC is what I carry on me, I define that as my EDC, anything else are just tools, in the car, home, or whatever.

My EDC Is usually the best I can afford/ coolest I can find/ justify.

I Dont wear jewlery at all, but I guess my EDC can be jewlery like to me.

That doesn't mean that I walk around with custom pieces, as I cant realy bear to spend all my money on one thing at once, but I buy V-good production knives. With torches Its usually the best thing I can justify buying, or the best mod I can do buy cobbling different brands/ custom pieces together. Anything else I EDC is a bonus.

I use them all, and Dont respect them much If they dont handle everyday EDC. I can cope with wear, but It annoys me if it does't live up to its marketing claims.

I guess I'm not realy a collector, but a user, with a cool EDC collection. ^-^

14. Topper

Topper Empty Pockets

EDC is what you have to turn around and head back to the house when you realize you forgot it. Not a joke to me I have had to go back for a certain light a certain knife and one time for my cell phone. I do not "feel right" unless I got the right stuff on me. Yep sounds dumb but it is the truth.
    Topper :)

siwaly likes this.
  15. Bravo 25

Bravo 25 Empty Pockets

I hear you Topper. It is almost like OCD, but it is a disease I can live with. It is the edc I can't live without.

siwaly likes this.
  16. Missouri Gunner

Missouri Gunner Empty Pockets

Like a lot of EDF'rs, I carry different things for different places; Camping EDHunting EDC, Travel EDC and etc.

siwaly likes this.
  17. P97DC

P97DC Empty Pockets

To me EDC is what I will have with me every day. My keys, billfold,knife,ccw,belt.

siwaly likes this.
  18. POCKETS

POCKETS Empty Pockets

Yes. This is EDC for me too. What is on my person daily... by design...almost always without exception. That which I would want to have with me at any given time.

19. Brangdon

Brangdon Loaded Pockets

Yes... I think it's important that this forum not be limited to survival EDC.

Anyway... I suppose I think in terms of EDC and semi-EDC. Core EDC is what I normally have in my trouser pockets even when sitting at home. Semi-EDC is what I normally have in my waist-pack which I take when I go into town or otherwise stray outside my normal range.

I also have "kits". If I am hiking or camping or whatever, I'll take a kit of whatever size and speciality is appropriate, in addition to my normal stuff. I have several levels of cooking kit, for example.

20. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

I'm pretty much of the same mind as JimH.  I basically have 2 levels.  What I carry on my person, and what's in my BOB.  Being a diabetic, though, means my BOB carries a few things most wouldn't consider EDC - glucose meter, syringes, alcohol swabs, hand sanitizer, blood pressure meter, insulin.  While these are absolutely EDC for me, they aren't for most people.  I don't expect to see a diabetic EDC forum here.  But, discussions about carry bags, containers, and such, are very applicable to my more specialized needs.  I think keeping an opened-ended definiton is the only practical approach that can be taken.

Just look at the variety of the usual EDC items - knives, multitools, lights, pens, and lighters - that are EDC'd.  Each one of those defines a generalized tool without creating any un-necessary boundaries on what constitutes each.  EDC should defintely not be more exclusive than the definitions of those objects EDC'd.  As soon as a precise definition is made, something/somebody is going to be excluded.

I tend to think of EDC as carrying those items I deem worth carrying on a repeated basis.  What constitutes such items doesn't mean the same thing for me as it does someone else, but the concept is the same, regardless of the implementation.

I think that EDC needs to be defined not in terms of how individuals or groups of individuals choose to implement the concept of EDC, but on why they EDC.  If it's carried on a repeated basis so that it is readily available when needed, it's EDC...pure and simple  After all, most of us apply the KISS principle to what we EDC - I think the same should be applied to the definition of EDC.

Sure, my concept is not techinically accurate with regards to the phrase "Everyday carry".  The technically correct phrase would be "Mostly Everyday carry."  But how many of us say we need to grab our "cell phone digial camera web browser PDA video player music player little black book and email device"?  No, we just say "cell phone", even though it has morphed into something far more than just a cellular telephone.  The same thing is happening with EDC.

So...in the spirit of live and let live I say...EDC and let EDC!

markbUK and siwaly like this.