1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What is/are your favorite steel(s) (for knives) and why?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by ThaMac, Oct 14, 2017.

1. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Name of the thread says it all.

Mines would be S110V, M390 and 20CV.

S110V cuz I don’t care if it’s the micro serrations or whatnot, it just cuts and cuts.

M390 for its aggressive cutting.

20CV for the all around „easy to maintain“ qualities.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener.

2. Biolabob

Biolabob Loaded Pockets

I like the LC200n on the Slysz SpidieChef because it is rustproof and very good at edge holding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDS likes this.
  3. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

M390

Simply because it is tough, takes a good edge without great effort, has very good edge retention. To me, it is has the best balance of all characterics which makes it king.

That said, I would happily take a properly heated treated 440C knife over a poorly treated supersteel. Case in point, I have a couple of 30 year old 440C knives (custom fixed blades) that out perform all my ZT Elmax knives (I like the ZT knives, but find their heat treat of Elmax to be severely lacking).

Tixx likes this.
  4. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

The only Elmax I ever had, was a 0770CF, which I sold...

Lightnig likes this.
  5. RossHoss

RossHoss Loaded Pockets

Im loving the a2 on my barkie, takes a killer edge in my experience, and its very easy to maintain

6. eugenechia1989

eugenechia1989 Loaded Pockets

Coated 1095 Cro-Van. Surprisingly good edge retention, my Ka-Bar BK11 was still shaving sharp after chopping through a small log! Wasn't pleased with my Spyderco Endura 4's VG-10 at first, until I put a 3,000-grit edge on it and actually it's holding a shaving sharp edge for quite awhile. Even happier with CTS-XHP on my Cold Steel, still a bit early to say, but it held its toothy out-of-the-box edge quite well. Expecting it to be pretty freaking good once I put a 3,000-grit edge on it and strop with compound. But I think I'm going to really like CTS-XHP, I have sharpened it once already and it really wasn't a nightmare to work with even on ceramic. I'd say CTS-XHP because I don't need it to be coated, unlike 1095, and so far it's performing better than VG-10 which of course is to be expected. Plus, I didn't have to starve to afford my Cold Steel.

7. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

1095 most of the time. Ease of sharpening. But i have a busse knive not sure what they are ?

Jake

8. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

Haha, I had one of them too

did the same thing, sold it.

I still have a standard 0770, I quite like it - even with the Elmax blade...

ThaMac likes this.
  9. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

I’m kinda half a@@ed looking for a 0770CF in M390.

Lightnig likes this.
  10. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

Hmmm, didn't know they made an m390 version, that I would look at for sure.

my issue was not the blade on 0770, it was the CF. It made it feel too 'chintzy' - for lack of a better term. I did not like the way I could feel the handle flexing up opening the knife, it really could have used some sort of stiffening liners or framework. The more basic Aluminum handled version felt much more solid, more robust - so I kept that one.

Now, an M390 blade in an Aluminum handle, now that might be worth having... ;)

11. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

1095 and AUS 8.

I don't care for the super steels with their grand edge retention. No edge lasts forever, when they need to be sharpened it will take a long time. I prefer a steel that sits right in the middle between hardness and toughness. 1095 and AUS 8 have decent edge retention yet once dull they can be brought back easily on a strop.

ghuns likes this.
  12. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Not completely. You need different tools to sharpen them. A simple sharpmaker (or something) doesn’t do it. But whetstones or a diamond field sharpener are working just fine. Just a different animal.

Plus I am not going for razor mirror super polish sharp. Field sharp is good enough for me. Else people are just afraid to “ruin the edge” and don’t use their knife.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  13. landwire
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

My current favorite is VG-10 that many of my Sog knives have. Holds a good edge for quite some time.

b.s. likes this.
  14. calvinw

calvinw Loaded Pockets

I like carbon steels because they develop character with age and use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Eagle Scout
    • In Omnia Paratus

Eagle Scout Loaded Pockets

20cv for me at the moment. Mini grip, GSO 3.5, Spyderco Mule, and ZT 0562cf.

16. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I like d2. Cheap, stainless enough for my uses, easy to sharpen and as long as you don't go silly on a paper thin edge it'll stay sharp pretty long.

17. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

Whoa, I do believe you are the first person in the history of the internet to say D2 is easy to sharpen.

Most everyone considers it one of the most difficult to sharpen (I regularly hear the term 'nightmare' when people describe sharpening it), even many manufacturers avoid it due to how hard it is on the tooling.

Personally, I love D2. Fantastic edgeholding, above and beyond even many of the more modern super steels - including my favorite M390. I don't mind sharpening it, but it does require more patience than most of my other knives. Only my M2 knives require more effort than D2.

18. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Never had a problem whatsoever with sharpening d2. It takes long, way more than any true carbon steel but honestly not half as long as s30v or any of those other nasty ones.

19. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Never heard this before. Especially considering, that a lot (if not most) Chinese clone knives are made from D2 — or at least claimed.

20. Jessie Carter

Jessie Carter Loaded Pockets

You can tell the difference between 20CV and M390?