1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What is a really durable zipper type and brand?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by 0dBm, Jul 8, 2009.

1. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

One of my jackets really needs a new set. After many years of service, it finally quit. Like when Kareem Abdul Jabbar began to go bald in different places on his head, the zipper on my jacket began losing teeth in several places ALL AT ONCE!

2. PeaceOfMind

PeaceOfMind Loaded Pockets

3. DSC

DSC Banned

Yeah, I tried to ask this in another thread and was ignored because people wanted to play games.

Good luck.

4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Thanks. I just visited the YKK website. I did not know that there was that much to know about zippers. :idiot2:

5. PeaceOfMind

Sorry I was not trying to play games. However YKK does make a lot of the world's zippers, and a lot of the quality gear I have makes use of YKK zippers.
    That being said, I can't name a single other manufacturer of zippers.

6. Hectorx

Hectorx Loaded Pockets

Go to you local fabric store and see what they carry, I believe I got a Coats and Clark Zipper from Joann Fabrics to replace a zipper on my daughters ski jacket. Her grandmother put it in and it has stood up fine. I do not recommend going to one of the big box stores, stick with the chain or local fabric stores. If in doubt go ask one of the ladies with some grey hair, they will know what brands are worth it and what kind to get for different applications.

7. DSC

DSC Banned

PieceofMind - I was not referring to you about the game playing. That was in another thread. People thought it would be productive to intentionally not answer a direct question about where they sourced their zipper. When they gave me a bogus answer and I confronted them about it, it was obvious they wanted to keep it a secret for some unknown reason.

I don't need 5000 zippers...that's why I haven't looked further into contacting YKK about them.

Hectorx - I have been to all of the local fabric stores and they only ever have cheap, crappy, flimsy zippers.

I would like a source of the zippers used by HSGI, for instance. Same as used by SDS on the issue day packs also, if that helps. If anyone is man enough to share a legitimate source for those here, it would be appreciated...probably by more than just myself.

8. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

You, DSC, and 0dBm could always email Bill at Bill's Custom Wallets. The worse he could say is no. ^^; I'm certain that placing an order for a wallet wouldn't hurt in your chances, either. :-X

9. DSC

DSC Banned

Uhhh...how about someone just tell us a source here if they know it?

10. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

I have always heard YKK is one of, if not the, best zippers out there. My mom used them to make a set of chaps for my dad when they were still together. The zipper still functions as it did when she made the chaps, 20 years ago. And the chaps got their fair share of use, both by my dad, and myself when I grew into them.

You don't need to go to YKK website to order them. Just do a search for retailers. They make nylon tooth and metal tooth zippers. If you want local, check a local leather worker. They usually use the best of everything.

11. PeaceOfMind

Just did a quick search: There is no shortage of YKK zippers on eBay - literally hundreds of listings, most for only a few dollars for a set + shipping.
    Just search for "YKK".

12. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Salmi is also very good, but YKK will probably be easier to get in the USA.

DSC, if you don't find a US source, you can always order from Finland. :) Shelby is a very good & reliable shop, I've bought lots of stuff from them. They do ship internationally.

(Edit: since you've had bad experiences with asking about zippers, I should perhaps add that I'm not trying to be funny. I don't know any US zipper sources, as I've never needed any. But if you can't find another source, you can order them from the link I provided. Both coil zippers and the HSGI-style toothed ones. Maybe not the exact same ones, but quality zippers all the same.)

13. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

The reason why I mentioned Bill is because I know he uses YKK zippers; he may not be an actual supplier, but I can't see why he wouldn't ship you some for little to nothing paid; I wasn't meaning to sound as if I was giving you a runaround. ._.

[Edit: On that note, I have only heard (and agree) that YKK zippers as being top quality, and coil type zippers are most secure in terms of thieves.]

14. DSC

DSC Banned

Thanks for posting a link to a place that sells the HSGI-type "toothed" zippers, Valolammas...I'll check them out...