1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What inexpensive pocket organizer do you recommend?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by dimeotane, Oct 7, 2015.

1. dimeotane

dimeotane Loaded Pockets

I've got an Eddie Bauer field jacket with 4 pockets that I love for it's storage.
    The chest pockets are about 4.5" x 6 and the waist pockets are about 6 x 8"

What's a good pocket organizer recommended for being lower priced and good value?
    I'd like to store a few EDC pens & tools in a pouch or case that has 'slots'.
    I know of the Maxpedition mini and micro organizers. But there's lots of different pocket organizers for pens and tools out there, so what's recommended?

Weej likes this.
  2. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

Rite in the Rain

Weej and CalicoSalsa like this.
  3. BlackBeardActual

BlackBeardActual Loaded Pockets

Rite in the rain starts at $15 I dig this one for 3x5

[​IMG]

4. BlackBeardActual

BlackBeardActual Loaded Pockets

I only suggest because you can find tons in field note covers and pouches but $40 - $150 for 'em pffft :rofl: ... newp.

Weej and CalicoSalsa like this.
  5. QuodErat

QuodErat EDC Junkie!!!

+1 for Rite-in-the-Rain.

A similar solution is the Code Alpha Walking Wallet. I keep one in my glove box, but it should fit your waist pocket. Slimmer than the Maxped equivalent, but more organization than the Rite-in-the-Rain pouch. (also < $15 )

No Agenda, Weej and CalicoSalsa like this.
  6. QuodErat

QuodErat EDC Junkie!!!

Forgot I had a pic of the Code Alpha in my photostream. Dimensions are 4" x 6.5".

[​IMG]IMG_0678b by Quod Erat, on Flickr

madlag, No Agenda, Weej and 3 others like this.
  7. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

JetPens has a bunch of non-tactical options, if you prefer the Hello Kitty look.

No Agenda, Weej and QuodErat like this.
  8. dimeotane

dimeotane Loaded Pockets

Thanks everyone for your ideas. Is it best to buy the Rite in the Rain directly from them on their website?

The codealpha looks good, but the website says the shipping is the price of the organizer itself. (unless they can do USPS for a lower price?)

Anyone heard of Roco? It looks like a maxped clone. For about $15 including shipping that seems good to me.

Check out item 391237340028 on that bay site.

The DIY option is interesting too for containing / organizing gear.

I've seen how some urvival kits are made using a steel or tin container. But I figure they'd rattle as you walk. And once you open it up you almost need a table or tarp to set out all the various items it's packed tight with.

Any good suggestions / threads for DIY gear holders?

Weej likes this.
  9. nagiom

nagiom Empty Pockets

If you have to have 3x5 notebook capacity, don't get the Rite in the Rain. Go for the Maxped. Offers more organization for roughly the same price. I wish I'd done that. I looked at the Rite in the Rain, Tactical Notebook Cover and Skinth when I was looking for a 3x5 holder. I skipped the Maxped due to the issues I'd read about. The Rite in the Rain is the least featured. The Tactical Notebook Cover, Skinth and Maxped offer similar features but the Skinth is pricey+shipping and the Tactical Notebook Cover has pricey shipping. The Maxped would have been a good compromise.

Weej likes this.
  10. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

I use to use 3x5 notebooks in my Rite in Rain. I stopped since the top cover broke off from opening / closing it. I'm currently using 3x5 not cards w/ no trouble

Weej likes this.
  11. jdindadell

jdindadell Loaded Pockets

I really like the code alpha pictured above. Does anyone besides code alpha sell it? Cheapest shipping is 14 bucks... Seems kinda high for something that small and light.

12. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I'm thinking that too and wondering if there are any UK stockists.

13. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Pocket and/or bag organisers are things that are really fun to diy! If you have ever thought of getting into the whole playing with a sewing machine business now is the time ;) Yeah you can probably find something you can live with for less money than the trouble of making your own is worth but if you want something that 100% suits your needs its a great alternative!

14. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

Have you looked at the Condor Pocket Pouch?

15. QuodErat

QuodErat EDC Junkie!!!

You're right--I'd forgotten just how exorbitant were the shipping charges. I guess the format suited my needs enough to warrant the expense.

CalicoSalsa likes this.
  16. jdindadell

Should anyone be interested the code alpha pouch pictured above is available on "that auction site" (not sure if I can say ebay on here).

I searched "code alpha pouch" and one store has a few in the various camo colors. I bought the woodland, cause it was the cheapest, yeah I am that kind of guy. About the same price as code alphas shipping cost alone, so it is like I got the pouch free!!!

I will post thoughts when it gets here. I have a vanquest ppm slim and a maxped mini to compare in size/storage capability and a slew of condor, maxped, tactical tailor, HSG and others to compare for quality, etc.

I like the idea of the small zip pouch on the left side. Seems like it will be good for small FAK items, I like to keep a few bandaids, ibuprofen and alka seltzer for daily needs. Plus the elastic loops are higher up on that side so it may use space at the top left more efficiently than the others. We shall see.

CalicoSalsa and QuodErat like this.
  17. QuodErat

QuodErat EDC Junkie!!!

Look forward to hearing your impressions.;)

18. Barchack

Barchack Loaded Pockets

If you use 3x5 cards, I highly recommend the EGL organizer.
    [​IMG]
    I use a stack of 3x5 cards, a Word Standard Memorandum and keep a mechanical pencil and pen in the pouch. The standard pouch only has one pen pocket and a slot pocket, but I'm sure he could add a few other slots if desired.

CalicoSalsa and madlag like this.
  19. jdindadell

I would be interested to see more info on that EGL pouch. No luck with a google search.

I got the code alpha pouch in. I like it, it has no exterior stuff at all. No Velcro, belt loops, name plates, or grab handles. The "600 denier" material is reasonably flexible, not overly "starched" like the maxped stuff. Interior setup is good, I like the small zipper pouch for FAK items better than trying to use the elastic loops. Plus I have a spare aaa and a lens cloth in there. There are 2 slash pockets, one on each side. The included notepad (approx. 3x5) and a stainless 6" ruler fit nicely on the right and I have a tape card and a single wet nap on the left. I have half size items in the pen loops. A single aaa light, vic classic, homemade bit driver, and a fisher space pen. I need to add a usb stick and alka seltzer.

This setup is very thin, thinner than a maxped mini that is empty. It is slightly smaller in width too. I have a similar setup in a maxped micro, and even it is thicker than the code alpha.

My main goal for this is a pocketable setup that I can leave in my car or desk to use when needed. I found the maxped mini and the vanquest ppm slim a little too bulky to slip in my front pocket.

I will add pics of all 4 when I get home.

CalicoSalsa and QuodErat like this.
  20. QuodErat

QuodErat EDC Junkie!!!

I went ahead and ordered my self another one from that auction site. The first one I purchased has served me well; and even though I own pretty much every Maxped pouch out there, I've developed a real fondness for the Code Alpha--for precisely all the reasons you cited. Looking forward to your pics.;)