1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What if you could customize a SAK completely?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by gadgetguy35, Nov 18, 2009.

1. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Loaded Pockets

I'm sorry if there is a topic on this but I couldn't find it. If you could completely customize a SAK, how would you do it? I would want the standard openers, then an inline phillips/magnifier layer, then a cybertool bit driver layer, then scissors, and then the knife layer. On the bottom I would want a phillps, awl, and hook. and plus scales. As far as I know they don't make one that is just like this, the closest is the cybertool 34, which I own. I am thinking of modding it myself but I don't know how the rivets are finished so you can put scales on. I guess I could just do alox, that would be awesome.

2. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

I have thought about this many times as well. I may eventually try to make my dream SAK, but that will be some time down the line as I have other projects to try and my knowledge of modding is, as of yet, limited (I need to experiment more). I would want to take a Victorinox Compact and add a long file to it (it becomes the Trail Master) and then add the bit system and driver from the Cybertool series to it.

Such a set up would provide a knife, can/bottle opener/wire stripper/screwdriver, file, scissors, and a set of screwdrivers - the tools which I most often use on any pocket knife or multitool.

3. nemesis5656

nemesis5656 Loaded Pockets

Sosak could probably make a custom for you

4. gadgetguy35

What do they charge(besides materials) to do that? can I send them the knives containing the components and have them "frankenstein" one together?

5. nemesis5656

nemesis5656 Loaded Pockets

i do not know their pricing for labor, but I think you can get them frankenstein.
    The only thing is they both have to be the same mm like 94mm 111mm etc...

6. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Most members on SOSAK do it for themselves, not commercially. The only one does it is scibeer and he's been MIA for a while now.

7. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Id like one something like the pocketknife that Val Kilmer uses in "The Saint" with hinged scales & allsorts of goodies inside.

8. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Read the articles on SOSAK - there's a huge amount of help there to be had. Also, over at Multitool.org we do a lot of SAK torturing and there are some tutorials etc :)

I did my first one after picking the right brains and it went well... really not too hard with a few basic tools.

9. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

I have two:
    1) a huntsman, with alox scales, that can still fit the tweezers and toothpick, with a bail (like on the wenger swiss army 70). even better if you could do it with the huntsman plus.

2) an OHT, with plain edged blade (far as I can tell they are all part serrated) with the large and small blades from the mid size models. a pocket clip would be nice too........

I suspect the first is more or less impossible, and the second could be done, but would be expensive. :mad:

Gary Gross likes this.
  10. yellowhammer

yellowhammer Loaded Pockets

An Alox Compact would do me just fine. Or a Pioneer with scissors instead of the bottle opener. And the Alox scales should be bright lime green... ;D

11. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

I'm easy. I just want a Farmer with added scissors and a hollow rivet.

12. gadgetguy35

I would love that combo too. I am still saving for my farmer, I have a wishlist that has over 10 SAK's alone on it. The hollow rivet is for a lanyard I assume?

13. Trickster

Trickster Loaded Pockets

I'm perfectly content with my transparent-blue scaled Climber. It has got the right amount of tools without beeing too fat.

Although IF I could point Victorinox RnD into a certain direction I would do the following:
    -Remove the toothpick and replace it with a retractable pen, like the one on the Signature.
    -Remove cork pull, awl and hook (never use them, except for the cork pull, and that only to hold a micro-screwdriver), and try to put a bit holder (for standard-size bits) in their place.

Okay, both ideas are not do-able with factory parts a the moment, but one can dream.

14. gadgetguy35

I like the bit driver idea, but since we can't get them to do that, Have you ever considered a cybertool? I have the CT 34 and it has a fantastic bit driver on it, but you can only use the bits that Vic makes. Better than nothing though.

15. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

Yep. I never carry a SAK without some method of lanyard attachment. And I kind of prefer a hollow rivet, as opposed to the little keyring on most alox SAKs.

16. xxecatxx

xxecatxx Empty Pockets

there are some OHT with plain edges.
    http://www.knivesplus.com/victorinoxknifevn-54875.html

17. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

I'd bite for any new runs of the older 1950s-and-prior knives, especially the old soldier design, so long as they're remade with more nail-forgiving backsprings.

Likewise, a simple OHT with corkscrew instead of Phillips would make me happy, or an Explorer Plus with an upscaled nail file/nail cleaner as what's available on the 84mm range.

18. Timbokhan

Timbokhan Loaded Pockets

Realistically, I would like a knife, phillips driver, mini pry (something small and simple), awl, scissors, toothpick and tweezers, and magnifying glass.

Unrealistically, I want it to have a gun feature.

19. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

Your realistic wants are for an Explorer. The Explorer (I'd recommend the Plus version) can be found for roughly $30 many places. :)

With the Explorer, you get: large blade, small blade, corkscrew; scissors, hook; inline Phillips, magnifier; and bottle opener/large screwdriver/wire stripper/pry end, can opener/small screwdriver, and awl. Each of the tools are listed as to which layer they're found, with the exception of the tweezers and toothpick; if you opt for the Plus version, you'll also gain a straight pin, a ballpoint pen, and an eyeglass screwdriver that is held by the corkscrew. :)

[Edit: I carry an Explorer Plus with onyx scales, myself, and I love it; in fact, one of my friends was converted to the Explorer Plus after she got one from me, and she loves it, too. Give it a shot, you may just love it. :)]

20. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit Loaded Pockets

Very easy - take the Alox Farmer and add:

-small curved serrated blade from Hunter
    -philips head on bottom from Tinker

Gary Gross likes this.