1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What happened to the metal F-series refills?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by IThinkTooMuch, Mar 14, 2016.

1. IThinkTooMuch

IThinkTooMuch Loaded Pockets

What happened to the older Zebra metal F-series refills? The current ones are translucent plastic, "Smooth Writing" formula, don't last as long, and the last one leaked, gumming up the works.:mad:

2. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

That isn't nice that that did that. F-301's? Are those what you are talking about? The bold refills? I went looking for them the other day at Staples, and I couldn't find the bold refill, but the medium.The pickings were slim, there was only 1 choice. HOWEVER, it was $4.50 or 1 refill, and $6.36 for 2 new pens, guess which I bought?

3. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

the last ones on my shelf I bought a while back, 2 x fine point= $2.49US. Staples

4. TECENG
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer
    • In Omnia Paratus

TECENG Loaded Pockets

Zebra didn't even tell their resellers. We buy the OEM style (unpackaged) and the last order of black refills we received were translucent. We thought they were blue ink which is how the blue ink versions are made and I called Zebra to tell them they shipped us the wrong refills. It sounded like even they didn't realize the change was made.
    We did receive a notice of a price increase at the first of the year. So they raised the price AND made them cheaper. Hmmm

5. IThinkTooMuch

The leaked ink gummed up the works to the point where nib won't reliably retract.

Bravo Bozo Zebra. Cleaning that thing out is gong to be a headache. I'm probably just going to replace it.

Any thoughts on the LAMY Logo or Safari ball point pens?

6. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I'm slowly working through my stash of zebra refills that I bought years ago. I've got some metal refills and some of the newer plastic ones. The both write fine, but it does seem like they changed the ink formulation a bit and the plastic refills do seem to run out of ink faster.

7. MoighonFweeman

MoighonFweeman Loaded Pockets

Why not just use Fisher space pen refills? I find that if you remove the plastic insert in the tip of the Zebra 701 and use a drill to widen the hole a tidbit, they work very well.

Sent from my ALCATEL A564C using Tapatalk

stoneworks likes this.
  8. IThinkTooMuch

I already have a Fisher bullet pen. They're not the greatest writing pens. Just very reliable, which is the reason it's my backup and not my primary EDC pen.

EDIT : In second thought, having a retractable pen that will not leak no matter what ...

Last edited by IThinkTooMuch, Mar 16, 2016
  9. JUGRNOT

JUGRNOT Loaded Pockets

they went the cheap route so i will be using fisher pens only from here on out.

10. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I personally don't like the standard medium Zebra refills all that much anyway. They're a bit too fine and light for me. The bolds were nice though. I liked my bold F-301s back before I lost them.

11. calebklyne

calebklyne Loaded Pockets

The few metal refills I have are just a sleeve over the plastic insert

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

12. randywolf244

randywolf244 Loaded Pockets

im wondering the same thing, i found a while ago that the fisher bullet takes these refills. i know they're cheaper, and dont last long and blah blah blah. their cheaper, that's all i care about. but seriously the last time i bought a refill they were in this plastic case, and i was like okay, their gonna be fine. until two days later when it stopped working... i guess im gonna have to spend money....

13. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

I recall the metal being a sleeve over the plastic refill..so not sure how necessary it iis.. can't you just take the old metal sleeve and put it over the new refill?
    From the thread here though it sounds like they changed the ink or point which will affect the reliability. I would be returning the refills zebra if that happened to me.