1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What features do you look for in a watch?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Wildernesstech, Aug 23, 2015.

1. 4rmless
    • In Omnia Paratus

4rmless Loaded Pockets

Was it you that I recommended the GWS H3 to? I think we're looking for very similar things (though I'd like a chrono and definitely do not want T100.

My current watch list (see what I did there) might be of interest to you:

Lum-Tec B23 Carbon - stunning, no day
    Hamilton H6461​1535 - similar to yours but less black and has day too, apparently poor lume.
    Dievas Vortex - beautiful, no date rules it out
    Marathon Diver​'s Quar​tz Medi​um - small and functional, dial too busy
    Filson Mackinaw Field Chrono - wish it had day and cannot find how thick it is
    CWC SBS Diver - ugly but functionally great, good size too

2. Trave1ingEast

Trave1ingEast Loaded Pockets

Swiss made automatics or hand wound. That's my only requirements for a watch.

3. Schnurri

Schnurri Loaded Pockets

I'm into divers. I've been using an Orient Deep for a couple of years now and it is pretty much everything I need:
    - day/date
    - 200m water resistant
    - stainless steel
    - automatic movement (although quartz is available, too)
    - good lume
    - keeps time quite well for a cheap automatic
    - a rather clean dial
    - easy to read
    - rotating bezel (comes in handy sometimes)

Do I need a sapphire crystal glas? No really, it's said to break much easier, although it's more scratch-proof. Had to exchange the glass once, after I dropped the watch onto the tiled floor.

If I had more money, I'd probably get a Longines HydroConquest or an Omega PO.

4rmless likes this.
  4. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

If it was recently then yeah probably me. There are a few small things I'd change, like adding the day and maybe slimmer hour/minute hands but so far that watch fits what I'm looking for the closest. I'll check out that list but I'm pretty set on tritium for my next watch.

5. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Loaded Pockets

Waterproof, date and day at a glance, and a decent back light. I prefer analog and wound up with the watch below and couldn't be happier. I do wish g-shock could figure out a way to utilize the illuminator feature in the digital windows of this watch and others like it, that would be much better than the LED broadcast. This LED does the job for telling time, and the hands/markers glow fairly well compared to other analog watches I've had in the past.

And solar....wasn't a huge selling point at first, but now that I have it in this watch, I'm not sure I'll go back to traditional batteries! The automatic daily time setting is great and a solar charge is easy to keep.

[​IMG]

6. MedicYeti

MedicYeti Loaded Pockets

I want an all metal construction with strong crystal and water resistance. I want 3 hands and 12 numbers. I want a watch that can take a beating without dying.
    I don't want it to talk to my phone, tell the date, scan for life forms or do anything other then tell time reliably.
    I have yet to find such a watch. I thought I found it with Invicta but my Invicta watch broke 5 weeks after getting it. So the search continues.

7. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Another watch to check out, Evil D , (although it is expensive, too) might be the Ball Engineer Master II DLC ....

Evil D likes this.
  8. MartialArtist

MartialArtist Loaded Pockets

Personally, it needs to be tough, and tell time:D

9. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I'm not EVEN a watch snob. Also I am a poor boy.
    Timex Analog with second hand and date do what I need.
    Have looked at and wouldn't mind having a G-Shock but it would have to be analog!

10. okto

okto Loaded Pockets

Day/date
    Tritium markers for hour ticks and hour and minute hands
    100m water resist
    Screw-down crown

11. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

Analog
    Day and date
    Sweep second hand
    No battery to change
    Accurate

Currently I wear a Citizen Eco-Drive (solar powered) with a fairly plain black dial and a mineral glass crystal. I replaced the original strap with a nylon military-style one.

Sent via carrier wave

12. Theskyiscrying

Theskyiscrying Loaded Pockets

I just got this guy today. Solar and has atomic time keeping so it's always accurate.

I love it so far!

[​IMG]

13. sbillard

sbillard Loaded Pockets

Apart from reliability and aesthetics, I like my watches to have some interesting features or story :)

14. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I am old enough that I need an analog watch on my wrist. After all this years, it is still quicker to glance at an analog wrist watch than to read the time from a digital watch on a phone/tablet/computer screen. For ease of reading, I want a clean, uncluttered watch face - no extras except the date window (which is an absolute must have). I do not really need numbers, but they wouldn't hurt either. Glow in the dark isn't a deal breaker, but it sure would be nice.

I have a mild nickel allergy, and I suspect that I react to chromium as well (if that is even possible), so most stainless watches are out of the question. I also tend to sweat a lot, so plastic watches or rubber watch bands get very damp and moist. All in all, I prefer titanium watches with ditto bracelets, although something like a NATO strap might also work.

I do not want to have to change the battery all the time, so I prefer either automatic or solar powered watches.

I can only afford to own one watch that has to work in all conditions - from swimming in the ocean to mountain biking to looking decent with a suit and dress shirt. That means it has to be waterproof (down to at least 100 meters), rugged and solid, and have a nice, clean look.

I found all this in a Citizen Titanium Marinaut with Eco-Drive about eight years ago, and it still works just fine.

[​IMG]
    Citizen Titanium Eco-Drive Marinaut by Magnus Holm, on Flickr

I have to admit that this looks very nice, though:

15. Anyday Carry

Anyday Carry Loaded Pockets

Here's my ideal watch (to my knowledge this does not yet exist, but if you of something even similar please say!):
    -NATO strap
    - Compass mounted on strap (generally an after market extra)
    - Slide rule around the edge
    - Radio face markings (i.e. the wedges on the face which show when radio silence should be observed)
    - Waterproof as far as possible
    - Date (including month)
    - Not electronic (don't mind windup vs automatic)
    - Tritium hands and numbers
    - Written numbers (not numerals)
    - Chronograph
    - Full length second hand
    - Tourbillon
    - Face and hands with contrasting colours
    - Twenty-four hour numbers inside normal numbers (got this on my current watch and is great)
    - Think that's about it...

16. A4VC

A4VC Loaded Pockets

Automatic
    Hackable movement
    Handwindable
    100m water resistance or better
    Good to Great Lume
    Arabic Numerals or easily readable indices
    Sapphire Crystal

17. teroff

teroff Empty Pockets

Can you please tell me the model?

18. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Loaded Pockets

MTG1500-1A

I paid just under $400 over a year ago on amazon prime, looks like its $349 right now.

19. teroff

teroff Empty Pockets

Thanks, already found the model. My ideal watch should have both analog and digital and ideally it should be G-Shock. I think MTG1500 is the right model

Flying Dutchman likes this.
  20. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

And rugged! ;)

A rugged watch that is easy to see day or night that can go for a dive. I spend a lot of time (ouch pun) with an Ecozilla. I have more than a few but I have upgraded a couple of them tto include Suppa adapters and a custom milspec nylon web watchband with an ITW nylon buckle.