1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What features do you look for in a light?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Revival, Mar 30, 2014.

1. FenixArcher

FenixArcher EDC Junkie!!!

A battery must go in one end, and a lot of light must come out the other end. :D
    I'm not too picky on flashlights, but I do like them to be rugged and put out a lot of light.

sungame and BarksAtCats like this.
  2. Octane957

Octane957 Loaded Pockets

The things I look for in a light and the ones that seem to get the most pocket time is:

1. Size- I have got to liking a AAA light the best for pocket carry (Maratac AAA), but I do keep a S10 Baton attached to my pack that I am very happy with.

2. 3 Modes- I like having three modes on a light and uses all three consistently.

3. Brightness/Runtime- I know everyone like a bright light and I do as well. Of course, with brightness comes the trade off with runtime. I try to always look for lights that I consider to be a even trade off of brightness vs runtime. IMO, a 3K Lumen light is great but if it only runs for two seconds it's kind of worthless.

Revival and HorseFilms like this.
  3. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

Multi-mode clicky
    Generally AA or CR123
    Capable of using Li-ion rechargables
    Small size with way outsized maximum power
    At least mil-spec aluminum with Type III anodize or titanium
    IPX 7 or 8 submersion

Revival likes this.
  4. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

I want simplicity and long battery life. I want to click once for on, once for off, and I find anything brighter than 100-200 lumens burns batteries too fast for my taste.

Revival likes this.
  5. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

Some of my preferences, in no particular order:
    • 18650 is my favorite battery (for performance/run time/economy with extended use; not to mention, eco-friendliness, over primary batteries)
    • forward clicky preferred, with momentary option
    • multi-modes preferred (I'm not a one-speed flashlight guy. I like to have options)
    • last-mode memory preferred
    • tail stand option is nice, but not a deal breaker, if not available
    • water proof to IPX8, whenever possible
    • good, solid regulation (I cannot stand direct drive lights. I won't buy them).
    • beam/tint preference depend on the lighting need. I take that on a case-by-case basis (Love Nichia 219 and XP-G2, although I have a lot of XM-L lights, in various tints).
    • a nice combination of flood and spot, in most instances (I can always slap a diffuser on a light, if I want just flood out of it)

Last edited by david57strat, Apr 1, 2014
    MrOG and Revival like this.
  6. BarksAtCats
    • In Omnia Paratus

BarksAtCats Loaded Pockets

LOL!! :rofl:

I want two lights. The first one stays in my bag and must be able to take a beating, have a forward clicky and throw a billion lumens (currently my Surefire E2E which, while a little shy of a billion lumens, is still quite bright [200 lumens I think] and MAN can it take a beating! :eek: ) To quote @tmedina, this is my "...lizard hindbrain..." light. :giggle: The second one stays in my pocket, must use AA batteries, have a forward clicky and shine around 40-ish lumens. I use this one for everything else (currently I switch between a Nebo CSI and a Fenix e11.)

Revival and tmedina like this.
  7. Zargon

Zargon Loaded Pockets

I have two "categories" of lights so I will tell my requirements for both of them
    Pocket Lights:
    1. Pocket Clip (or sturdy keychain loop to attach copper pocket dangler)
    2. Has a low/moonlight mode (>10 lumens)
    3. Reputable company
    4. Looks
    5. IPX8 2m
    Pack Lights:
    1. Has a low/moonlight mode (>10 lumens)
    2. Has a turbo (<700 lumens)
    3. Can throw over 50 meters
    4. Can run for at least a hour on turbo
    5. IPX8 2m
    6. "Hidden" Strobe
    7. Black or coyote

Revival likes this.
  8. HorseFilms

HorseFilms Loaded Pockets

Tint and reliability are huge for me. I normally EDC either my HDS high CRI clicky, or my Surefire E1B w/Z68 tail switch. I also regularly carry a Peak Eiger SS with Nichia 219 and a Spark SF3 with a neutral XML2 (it's become one of my surprise favorites, because the tint is beautiful).

Single cell lights have become my standard in recent years.

Revival likes this.
  9. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

low lows
    AA
    metal

jag-engr and Revival like this.
  10. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

• AT LEAST 90 lumens. Anything less and 90% of the time I can't see what I'm doing, inside, outside, partial light or not, any less and it might as well not be there most of the time. I'm not adverse to lower modes, and do use them a fair bit... but if I want to SEE something, I need about 90 to 120 lumens.
    • Actually, that is a preference within that requirement; At least one mode that is no less than 90, and No More Than ~130.
    • And a "warm" tint. Or "Neutral". If it has the "Cool" blue tint it bugs me. Green is worse.. :cold: But too much "Cool" blue tint and it hurts my eyes... Green never does that, but boy is it annoying. (and I do mean Green... Yellow, like Incans or HCRI LEDs don't bother me, but a green tint drives me nuts...
    Otherwise... :unsure:
    Nothing, really... I have clickies, twisties, 4 different battery formats, some with clips and some without, and like them all. I have lots of general Preferences, but not Requirements. ;)

Now, things I greatly Prefer, but don't Require;
    • Single cell. Short lights pocket better.
    • Non 'clip on' pocket clips... Ain't had one yet with this though. :nah_disagree:
    • Clicky, and IIRC whats called Forward style.
    • A recessed/protected switch.
    • Able to tail stand.
    • And not something I thought of till I read it above :oops: , so I'm stealing this Great point from @Jash; Affordable enough not to cry if I lose it :)

:cool:

MrOG and Revival like this.
  11. Ironside

Ironside Loaded Pockets

I like all of reppans criteria
    Moonlight is very useful. Tailstand candle mode also used every day by me.
    Size less than 80mm long for EDC plus a decent clip.
    Simple UI - SWM Mr Elfin rotary 3 mode would be perfect with an added level at 4 lumens. It also has a good clip.

I am picky about beam profile as floodier and prefer neutral warm emitters XML T6 4C on Mr Elfin Premium, 3700K High CRI on an older HDS lights (not sure of emitter) and the warm XML 7B T4 emitter. XML has that nice balance of flood with the right reflector.

Mr Elfins clip ( SWM sent me a bag of flat screws when I mentioned the screws were rounded so it tail stands flat now)
    [​IMG]

Revival and reppans like this.
  12. O_G

O_G Loaded Pockets

1. Tint - I like sunlight. No blue. No purple. No green.
    2. Beam - I like a smooth even beam. No rings. No artifacts.
    3. Modes - I like atleast 2 modes. Needs to start on moonlight for night vision and battery life. If I need more juice I will go up a level. I don't like starting on medium because it uses more battery, and is often too bright when I'm in the dark.
    4. Battery - I like AAA eneloops. AAA can be found in every household in the world. Anything smaller = impossible to replace when I'm not at home. Anything bigger = more juice than I need & bigger in pocket.

I hate QTC!!! It flickers & jumps. I have ZERO idea of when the battery is going to die. You have to twist off extra so it doesn't drain your battery on .001 lumens. Sooo much twisting.

Revival likes this.
  13. clandr1

clandr1 Loaded Pockets

1. Utterly reliable
    2. Form factor (size)
    3. UI
    4. Modes

If I could strap one to my hip every day, it would be a Surefire 6P with a Malkoff M61L.

Since i can't, I carry the smallest one I can - a FourSevens Quark Mini. It's twist UI so it is stupid reliable, albeit not as convenient as a click switch.

14. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

15. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

+1 for this. I prefer tail-clicky, small (AA, AAA, common battery) and durable. Stylus Pro, Fenix E01, Microstream....

FighterZak and Revival like this.
  16. Revival

Revival Loaded Pockets

What does QTC mean?

17. kbuzbee

kbuzbee Loaded Pockets

Quantum Tunneling Composite

It a material that, when compressed, allows more current to flow. So, the more compressed, the brighter the beam, but some folks don't like the fact it can flicker in transition. Not all do and it doesn't bother everyone.

Peak uses it. The Momentary On compresses the QTC from the tail and the twisty compresses it from the head.

Ken

Revival likes this.
  18. Revival

Revival Loaded Pockets

Thanks Ken.

19. Sao
    • In Omnia Paratus

Sao Loaded Pockets

1. It turns on
    2. It lights things up
    3. Anything else is gravy

sungame likes this.
  20. kbuzbee

kbuzbee Loaded Pockets

It's always good to separate needs from wants!

Ken

Revival and dml24 like this.