1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What Event Started You EDCing?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Fishin Fool, Aug 2, 2009.

1. 1wrx7

1wrx7 Loaded Pockets

I've always liked small items that can be usefull, but it was probally the 2003 blackout that really got me going. Usually power doesn't stay out for very long here... metro Detroit area... so after an hour I went for a drive to see how widespread the outage was. When I hit the first main road all I could see was traffic backed up everywhere. I turned right around and went back home. Thankfully some radio stations were still able to brodcast and I was able to get some information. I realized that what I had on hand was what I had to get me and my elderly father though the event. I was slightly unprepared :brickwall: Everything worked out, but it gave me a lot to think about. I guess this led me to being more prepared at home. Then I thought... what if I wasn't at home when the power went out?

EDCF and CPF have provided me with a lot of great ideas and information on items I can't see myself without anymore. If I happen to forget one of my EDC items when I leave I end up feeling naked all day. And of course because of Murphy, whichever item I forget is the exact one I end up needing :mad: So now I'm back to the motto... always have a backup plan for your backup plan.

2. godcode

godcode Loaded Pockets

I think I started serious EDC'ing when I decided to get me a credit card and then discovering paypal and Ebay... and last... the internet's well kept secret named Google intoduced me to a very evil website called EDCF...

3. WARFIST

WARFIST Banned

i started e.d.c. when i was 13 in middle school. i always toted a brass knuckle to school the cheapo pot metal made in japan type deal. i live in a rough neighborhood so it seemed essential enough for me to take anytime i left the house!

4. Bob Lindell

Bob Lindell Loaded Pockets

+1

Be Prepared has always made perfect sense to me.

5. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

Like others, I always carried things as a child. More often than not, they were toys or trinkets. What sent me toward a practical EDC was the fact that I joined the Boy Scouts and my watching of MacGyver. Seriously. When I saw MacGyver repair things with a Swiss Army knife and duct tape I figured I should start carrying those items and learn to be just as handy.

6. Tripp Hazzard

Tripp Hazzard Loaded Pockets

I don't remember how young I was when I got my first pocket knife. The first event I remember was in High School. I was already carrying a backpack for my books, and one day someone needed a flame and no one had a lighter or matches. Even though I've never smoked, I stuck a cheap bic in the front pocket and carried a lighter ever since.

Then, in my twenties, I was at my job when the power went out. And I was two closed doors away from any natural light. So I added a small flashlight. Even though it wouldn't have been in my pocket, at least it would have been in the same room!

Over the years I added a multitool and a cell phone.

Then I discovered the EDC/Preparedness community . . . .

7. Paracord Junky

Paracord Junky Loaded Pockets

having money to buy decent EDC gear.
    now the EDC mentality was instilled in my by JRR Tolkein.

8. buckshot

buckshot Loaded Pockets

I believe my interest in EDC and in general being prepared started when I was in the boy scouts. We had good leaders and generally went on a weekend camp or hike at least once a month. I found that those trips helped me in planning what gear I needed, what gear I didnt need (a 100 poound pack when you weigh 97 pounds is a challange) and the never ending quest to try new gear or find better ways to do things.

When I was a teen, perhaps 16 I was hunting with an older friend and we had car trouble a long way from home, we busted a tie rod sleeve so there was no driving back home, we had a good long walk ahead of us. unfortunately we only had the cloths on our backs, our guns and thats about it. The walk back took most of the day, the weather was good but what really sucked was having no water or anything to carry water in when we came to stream crossings and such.

This incident helped me to decide that I would always have a good emergency kit in the vehicle at all times, I have so far never needed to rely on it but I know its there for when I do need it.

The other incident that made me sit up and open my eyes was the big ice storm in eastern Canada/North Eastern United States a number of years ago. It made me think about what I would do to survive during the winter if I didnt have power for a month, how to heat the home, and so on.

So EDC these days to me is a way of life, trying to live the boy scout motto of always be prepared, or at prepared as you can be.

9. Xerxes

Xerxes Loaded Pockets

Starting school, or thereabouts.

It seemed obvious that pockets were there so you could be properly equipped (handkerchief, knife, magnifying glass, bits of string ...)

As time went on I added other stuff: comb, miniature pliers, that sort of thing.

And now I have little kits of stuff ready for this or that occasion, and lists of what should be in them. Occasionally something happens that I'm not prepared for, and I need to add something I'd not thought of before. And sometimes I find I've simply got too much and have to start decluttering.

10. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I actually thought everyone did even if they didn't realize it.

Wallet, Watch, today it is a cell phone.

Everyone does it.

11. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

:iagree: Unless they walk around naked and empty handed.

12. muskrat72

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets

Doesnt everyone?

13. tradja

tradja Loaded Pockets

Probably a combination of BSA and wathcing MacGuyver as a kid, then rediscovering good knives as an adult. In fact, I probably learned the term (if not the concept) "EDC" on bladeforums.