1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What EDC item(s) do you not "get"?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by grrradical, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

You have two lungs, right?... :D My own personal EDC doesn't feature duplicates, but I do get the "Two is one, one is none" train of thought.

2. FA Tre
    • In Omnia Paratus

FA Tre Loaded Pockets

I get that mantra as well, I just think it's more appropriate for settings where equipment failure could be the difference between life and death. For most of us, if our light battery runs out, we can just stop by the nearest quickie mart and get a replacement.

I suppose backups can be carried in a bag or in a vehicle too.

ManVsLawn, Brtsmpsn and CalicoSalsa like this.
  3. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Hmm, stop what I'm doing, go to store/supply room/where ever, look around, find battery, replace battery, go back to where I was, and finally... resume task.

Or reach into my pocket.

Hmm...

Then again I do use a flashlight probably 10 or more times every single day and of course YMMV.

It's not life or death all the time. Has been though. Thank goodness most of the time it's about saving time, not getting interrupted, or just not getting another pain in the rear.
    Just wish I could plan ahead of time which of those was gonna blindside me.

Give 'em a light and they'll follow it anywhere.

ManVsLawn, Brtsmpsn and moostapha like this.
  4. FA Tre
    • In Omnia Paratus

FA Tre Loaded Pockets

If you actually use the item regularly over the course of your day, duplicates make sense. I'm really getting at, or not getting given the thread name, duplicate carries in an office/city setting.

5. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

Must have never been to Wisconsin. Haha. Hunting is such a way of life the hunting clothes get worn just like an ordinary piece of clothing.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

6. lucky musket

lucky musket Loaded Pockets

The things I don't get are the things I just won't spend money on. Nuks, pry bars, bottle openers, credit card tools. I've looked at a ton of them in stores and online and just came bring myself to spend money on any of it. I have an old Swiss-Tech key chain that I don't carry and multiple cheap bottle openers as well. I have a garage full of real tools, a pack with hunting tools when I hunt, and necessary items in my truck when I'm out. A pile of items in my pocket just makes me uncomfortable.
    Maybe if I had more disposable income of be more into it.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

ManVsLawn, CalicoSalsa and Brtsmpsn like this.
  7. sap

sap Loaded Pockets

I love seeing what others carry. I wear jewelry, carry a bag (every day) and I appreciate a kickass pry bar on a keychain. I often have a knife (or two), a flashlight and gun with a spare mag. Some stuff I carry because I've seen or been involved in situations where it was needed. Some stuff I carry because it just looks neat. I carry a ton of stuff for work and that carries over to my personal life I suppose. I'm a sucker for brass, bronze, copper, leather etc.

8. Corgi

Corgi EDC Junkie

I carry a Gerber Shard. It cost $2.75. It pries stuff. It turns screws. Why pay $60+ for an Atwood?

In knives, there is a big difference between a $2 knife and $60 knife. Not so much with prybars. Even if it is an Atwood prybar with solid titanium and s30v inlays.

Sent from Mordor with Tapatalk 2

ManVsLawn, CalicoSalsa and Brtsmpsn like this.
  9. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

At woods are hard to explain. The are like little steel pieces of art.

10. Corgi

Corgi EDC Junkie

• Doesn't g10 offer more grip then Ti? Some people (like me) don't like slick handles.

Sent from Mordor with Tapatalk 2

11. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

As today's tragic terrorist events in France point out, one never knows when today's events will be life or death. The news is reporting that supermarkets are closed, public transportation is shut down. It may seem unwarranted for routine carry, but.....

12. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Sad night.

Might not be a bad idea to review the Congressional report on 9/11. Yeah, it's very long but there are parts the are good to know and justify EDC. Got to be synopses someplace on the InterWeb.

Two examples:

Folks could not escape to open stair wells. Clear heads and an MT with a saw or even a stout folding knife would have saved lives. How? Cutting through drywall was all that was needed in a spot or two.

There were almost no flashlights. Think about that day, being in the buildings, and no flashlight. And no, a cell phone will not cut it in a situation like that.

You may not need stuff every day but some basics that need to work EVERY SINGLE TIME have to be in reach. That day and this night prove that.

You don't have to take on an entire army but you need to know how to save your life at least. If it ain't with you, it can't help you.

No running to the store, truck, or home. You'll need it NOW.

You'll also need to know how to think calmly, save your own rear end, and remember what you've learned and how to adapt.

Ain't no place for on the job training and it ain't Hollywood.

13. Rusty412

Rusty412 Loaded Pockets

I've found this to be one of the more interesting threads on the forum in some time.

14. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

i can appreciate that view. for me, grippiness has more to do with shape of the handle than texture of the material, as I've seen textured grippy titanium (like on a ZT or Lionsteel, or an eagletac flashlight) and slick G10 (EDCF manix 2xl has slid out of my hand more than once)

15. madlag

madlag Banned

What's up with the little trinkets? Like little tops and the fat man talisman doll lol. If something has sentimental value I get it but just to buy something to carry without purpose...I already need a fanny pack for the crap I carry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Radley, ManVsLawn, JustinJ and 6 others like this.
  16. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I like my little paracord guy. I made it on a whim and hooked it to my bag because I didn't have anything else to do with it...now, it just seems like it belongs there.

The tritium is just useless pocket jewelry, but....it's AWESOME. Why? It just is.

Frankly. I'd just wear it as jewelry if I wore jewelry.

17. madlag

madlag Banned

Ok, ok, I get the cool factor too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

This has apparently become de rigueur with some.

What tickles me is the multiplicity of rings on the keychain much as the S-Biner product: one large S-Biner with 5-8 smaller S-Biners attached with each one having its own item such a flashlight, pen, pry tool, etc. Seems like such a large amount of attach points that contributes to the overall weight to be carried.

Nite-Ize now markets this combination. I've seen it on the shelves at Home Depot.

I only carry the automobile ignition key plus the insipid remote on me.

19. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Sometimes people carry things that are not keys on their key ring.

Keeping keys and other things together while being able to quickly and easily get the one you want (and not everything else) can be pretty neat too. Especially cool if you don't end up dumping a handful of stuff out to find it.

20. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

What I don't get are fire pistons. I don't see spending 60 to over a 100 bucks for something to make fire, when a lighter or flint firestarter will do.