1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What EDC item(s) do you not "get"?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by grrradical, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Stuart Mantel

Stuart Mantel Loaded Pockets

I follow those "show us your..." threads mostly to see what brands/styles people carry. I'm not a guy who has to always have the latest but, when I need to buy a new light it helps with the decision.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

madlag, QuodErat, ManVsLawn and 2 others like this.
  2. grrradical

grrradical Loaded Pockets

Absolutely...I get a lot of inspiration from picture threads. I guess what I meant is that we end up with many of the same pictures repeating in different threads because they ask essentially for the same thing, whether we call it "edc" or "minimal edc" or "pocket edc" or "hand dump edc" at the end of the day it doesn't really change what's in the picture. But I still look at every single one! :rofl:

O_G, Jedigreedo, CalicoSalsa and 6 others like this.
  3. Ben Rubinstein

When it's practically the same stuff being posted multiple times it is indeed somewhat confusing as to what the point is.

4. EmberMike

EmberMike Loaded Pockets

I don't get the beads and lanyards. And mini prybars. The beads just seem like an annoyance. I'm into minimalist EDC, so anything unnecessary is to me, well, unnecessary. I don't remember exactly where I read it but there is a characteristic of EDC that includes efficiency (I could EDC a toolbox but that's not very efficient for walking around the house), so stuff that clutters up my pockets would seen contrary to what EDC is supposed to be about.

The prybars, I just don't get them. Is anyone encountering things that need to be pried so often? Other than a beer bottle cap, of course. But like prybars for nails. Why? If you run across that many nails that need to be up-rooted, you are probably in the line of work that involves having that toolbox nearby with a real prybar in it.

5. microbe

microbe EDC Junkie!!!!!

I can get no satisfaction.

6. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

One person's minimal edc is another person's kitchen sink carry.

Go check out the what does your bag weigh thread for confirmation.

CalicoSalsa, madlag, QuodErat and 3 others like this.
  7. BlackBeardActual

BlackBeardActual Loaded Pockets

This gif made my afternoon :rofl: fall over backwards in chair good.

8. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm going to get a lot of gup for this one....

Cameras. I don't get cameras.

we're talking high end, expensive "click click I can zoom in on a hair on your chinny-chin" cameras.

I mean, I understand the purpose - to take nice photos.

But as for EDC-related carry, does one's shot have to be that perfect?

Most phones take relatively decent pictures now. I can even pull some decent shots, if I take the time.

Unless someone is a photographer or needs the camera for work in some fashion, I do not understand the fascination with cameras.

9. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Mon brave, if you were to be married and you booked a photographer who turned up with only an iPhone you'd be dead before the vows. I suspect most edcs with a camera are from professional snappers/ or students of photography/art.

10. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I am married!:giggle:

But I agree. I see the overlap of hobbies. It just seems.... obsessive!

But aren't we all a bit obsessive.....about some thing.

11. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

ManVsLawn my wife's really into taking pictures. I mean really into it! Her DSLR is nicer than what the photographer at the last wedding we attended had! Having said that, I take crappy pics. No matter what I'm using. I take horrible pics, with usually horrible content. At work, I'm actually notorious for taking the worst pics of patients. Even sweet little old psychotic granny's make ugly faces & give me the finger when I'm trying to get their photo. :stomp:

CalicoSalsa, CSM-101, madlag and 4 others like this.
  12. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Just close one nostril and shoot that boogie as far as you can... No hanky or sleeve needed.

13. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Honestly....they're dorky toys for 99% of consumers.

There are 2 differences between an iPhone and a D4S. One is the physical size of the sensor, the other is the detail and ease of the exposure controls and lighting integration.

Both only really affect how easy it is to get well-resolved pictures in challenging lighting situations.

If you try to take a picture of quick action or a black cat at night with a cel phone, either you're lucky or it'll be a blurry, streaky mess. Do it with a nice DSLR, and you'll get it if you know what you're doing.

Having been that guy for years at a time, I can say that it's worth it as a hobby. But, there's no reason for it if it's not a job or a hobby.

I'd bet against it. The prosumer photo industry is driven by amateurs, a lot of them people who take a few pics a year and don't care about the cost.

14. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

One thing I can't see is when folks dump the national debt on cameras but don't take even a basic photography course.

Also, who doesn't have a bazillion shots on the card in the phone or camera and never gets anything printed?

Give 'em a light and they'll follow it anywhere.

15. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Actually, the SAK bottle openers are pretty good, but a dedicated tool is ALWAYS better than a multi-tool. In the case of bottle openers it depends whether you beer taste is U.S. mainstream twist-off or something from the rest of the world (or craft beer) in which crown caps are still the norm. I occasionally have to be places where I can't carry the SAK, so I have a dedicated opener. I suspect that holds true for many others

16. madlag

madlag Banned

I don't get why people don't "get" the "why" behind carrying guns but carry other defensive items like big knives, Knucks etc. lol not just here I see this a lot. It's like saying "I don't need a weapon because I'm bringing a weapon". Makes no sense. Concern over preparedness prompts you to have EDC, but you're against guns hah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corgi, ManVsLawn, CalicoSalsa and 4 others like this.
  17. Bloke

Bloke Loaded Pockets

Lol I absolutely agree on this.

For EDC Nothing can touch the generally fantastic cameras built into modern smart phones..which are EDC devices.

I've have thousands of "happy snaps" taken on the humble smart phone, and I couldn't ask for anything more.

Carrying a separate camera " just in case" is almost madness unless you are an ultra mega super bazoomic photographer that MUST take the highest quality pictures possible for you line of professional work.

But I still have a small handful of friends who continue to carry a fully featured camera to take the average everyday happy snap.

Brtsmpsn, Cheeser, madlag and 3 others like this.
  18. GutWrench

GutWrench Loaded Pockets

atwood tools... What a waste of money IMO. I very seldom pry anything that I can't get open with my fingernail or the spine of my knife. Bottle openers? Heh, I honestly cant remember the last time I used one.

I used to carry a lot of stuff but over the years I have found I can get through 99.9% of the time with just a knife. I do carry a gun everyday and when I'm working a set of handcuffs, flashlight and a pen. Everything else is kept in my bag which is usually near by. If I need more than a knife I will go to the bag. If I need more than what's in the bag then I'm probably at home, driving or off-roading in the Jeep and the right tools for the job are near by.

19. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

I agree 100% I haven't carried an actual camera for 6 years

CalicoSalsa, Brtsmpsn and ManVsLawn like this.
  20. FA Tre
    • In Omnia Paratus

FA Tre Loaded Pockets

I don't get carrying duplicative items on your person on a daily basis. By this I mean, two (or more) full size locking folders, or multiple flashlights (not counting keychain types). I understand if it's actually job related, but for most, in an office type city work environment, seems like overkill.