1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What EDC item(s) do you not "get"?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by grrradical, Nov 2, 2015.

1. TheGremlin

TheGremlin Loaded Pockets

I disagree. Price is determined primarily by one major factor: what somebody is willing to pay. If nobody wanted to pay the price for an RUT, or an Atwood, or a Sebenza then the maker would have to decide to stop making the product, or drop the price. If people want to shell out the money for these things, that is their decision. They are simply not worth the cost to me. But you know what they say about opinions. This is simply mine.

Sent from an alternate dimension using Tapatalk

2. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Depends on the person, depends on the item.

Some folks will take what they can find at the big box store or WallyWorld. Others need or desire higher end or even custom.

Depends on need or use. Skinned knee or you've been to a few too many wrecks.

Works for the car you drive, flashlights, knives, etc.

I'd only suggest a little less judgemental posts in this thread or on the forum in general. We all do it. Not everyone or anyone in particular does it. Just seems to happen more often lately.

Some folks view their EDC like art - it's one thing to judge by price, your view, critical eye, etc. if it's hanging for sale in a gallery. It's a whole 'nuther thing if it's a bright blue handprint of a five year old hanging on a refridgerator door.

Opinions are like rear ends. Everybody has one. It's just that it isn't always necessary to have 'em shoved in your face while trying to prove a point.

Sometimes a simple "that's not for me" or a "that's cool" is enough.

Good thing to remember any place, any time.

Sorry to go off topic.

Give 'em a light and they'll follow it anywhere.

3. Ben Rubinstein

We disagree about much but on this you are my brother. :)

4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I don't "get" the frequent replacement of items. Likely because of this forum. Decades ago when I began this practice, there were not that many choices so I tended to keep what I already had. Now I notice that others acquire something then trade or sell it to acquire a similar item. I surmise that it is likely representative of our disposable society.

microbe, CalicoSalsa, JustinJ and 5 others like this.
  5. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

very well put.

6. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

I won't rehash it here as it really isn't the point of this thread, but I lay out very rational and legitimate reasons for carry "survival gear" in my recent GHB video. Granted, not everyone has the same situation.

Now, I must say, that since you run a business out of tour truck, a smartphone is probably a very necessary piece of gear. In that situation I totally get it.

We're always brother's, Ben. Agreeing isn't part of the equation.
    It's the Paradox of Choice and id doesn't lead to anywhere good.

7. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Unless they're looking in on EDC forums on the move of course ;)

8. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

I agree with you that what people are willing to pay for a thing is a big part of the price - I don't think the RUT would by anywhere near as popular at 250 or 500 than it is in its current price range (around 125, varies a bit for fancy mods/finishes). the reasons I mentioned are the reasons that people who do buy the RUT like it at that price. i had one, and sold it because i didn't carry it anywhere near as much as other little prytools i have in the same price range but different styles from a different maker, and wanted to get some funds to put towards other items like 0dBm describes.

i didn't get the catch-n-release style of collecting at first either until I had a chance to get a Kwaiback, and i wanted to get the kwaiback more than i wanted to keep things i currently owned. parting with previous acquisitions is an easy way to pay for new things without digging into the savings or racking up a credit card bill.

9. Stuart Mantel

Stuart Mantel Loaded Pockets

The Kwak back is a beautiful work of art. How often do you carry it?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

ManVsLawn, CalicoSalsa and Brtsmpsn like this.
  10. AztecaMX91
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

AztecaMX91 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the video, i make a few paracord bracelets to pass the time every once in a while but this is definitely the quickest to make and easiest to deploy.

[​IMG]

Sent from another dimension

11. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

once or twice a week. I rotate between that, a CKF Rabbit, a Chavez Redencion 228, a Liong Mah Warrior 1, Brous Sniper, and a Koenig Zenaida. knives like this are meant to be used. they all get used for food prep, stubborn-package opening, eating utensil (alongside a titanium spork - the zenaida works best at this, the Redencion is a bit silly but still works), and any other cutting task since the knife in my pocket is the sharpest cutting tool around and the closest.

12. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

Things I don't get, and why I don't get them:
    • $400+ knives with G10 handles. I've seen a lot of knives at that price point and lower with full TI handles. Lionsteel even has integral titanium handles in that price range, but Strider has a big ol' slab of plastic. i don't get why they persist with the plastic when full titanium or ti/CF can be done in that price range. i suspect there is probably a good reason like reducing weight, reducing the company's cost of warranty service, providing aesthetic contrast to the anodized/textured titanium lockside, etc. I just prefer all ti or ti/cf combo at that price point.
    • i've seen threads about "low profile tactical clothing." I would think tactical voids out low profile and vice versa. those Molle-webbed pants with several batmans worth of gadgets are not going to look like normal pants under any lighting, even if you get some oversized normal pants to put over them.
    • the Cardsharp and similar thin-blade-with-bendy-plastic-handle knives. I owned one. tried to cut things with it, and the spine cut my thumb. the unsharpened edge was still sharp on account of being so thin. not sure what these are meant to do other than injure the user.
    • knives with lots of little itty bitty parts that are not a G&G Hawk toggle-opener like the beetle or that quartermaster variant of it. I am looking at you, benchmades with the axis lock. they look very difficult to clean. I realize they are probably very easy to clean by blowing on it and/or wiping with a twisted up paper towel just like many other knives, but i like to take mine apart for a good cleaning/Aegis knifecare spritzing every couple months, and I know I'd lose the little parts.
    • the all-the-things all the time style of EDCing. life may or may not be a game, but it is definitely not one of those games where items are stored in some magic inventory that has no volume or weight. i can appreciate carrying all the things if you are venturing off someplace where the things are not easily accesible unless you carry them out there yourself (hiking, camping, etc), but if you have a want or need to access all the things it seems better to stay where the things are instead of trying to carry them all with you.
    • carabiners and other jingly keychains. it is a pet peeve of mine. I used to use one myself, but hated sounding like I was coming to warn Ebenezer Scrooge about three spirits coming to visit every time i took a few steps in any direction. jingly keychain in pocket did not work for me since it poked holes in the fabric of my pockets.
    • loose items in pocket. I need a pocket skinth or a hanks by hank caddy o rsomething. I don';t like things rattling around in there. I am totally fine with a bag that is one big compartment of loose items, as i can easily insert and extract things as needed, but for my pants i like everything to sit neatly aligned.
    • knife snobbery in either direction. some people like inexpensive knives because they can buy a wide variety of them and/or abuse them horribly without crying over the damage to an easily replaceable tool. some people like spendy knives because they are pretty and cool and made of nicer materials than the cheap ones and not some mass produced thing just like everyone else's. Both options are good for different reasons.

13. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

First let me state that I am a pyromaniac, and have held a lifelong fascination with fire. I am a non-smoker that carries a Zippo everywhere and has countless Bics stashed all over. (It is not uncommon when doing an EDC inventory/knife sharpening/restock to find more than ten Bic lighters between the car, my various bags, and gear drawer.)

So I get fire. I get the need to be able to produce fire. What I don't get is the EDC of fire pistons, firesteels, and the like. I guess for the fiddle factor I could see it, but for the utility, I am at a loss. I understand, hey you want to camp and start a fire like the cave men did, more power to you. Just why EDC? I have seen the argument for if the crap hits the fan scenario, but that's so unrealistic as to be comical...plus Bics are a better choice in any of those scenarios anyway. In a true life or death scenario, values change. I'm freezing cold; a flaming car would keep me warm for some time plus nothing brings emergency responders like massive clouds of black smoke. I'll worry about things like insurance deductibles later.

Grizz

14. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

prybars

fixed blade knives

ferro rods

money clips

leaky Zippos

talismans

15. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

WOW, I EDC 4 of those! :D

Grizz

16. Stuart Mantel

Stuart Mantel Loaded Pockets

What's wrong with a money clip? I don't carry one (I use a rubber band) but I do see utility in them keeping your cash together in a small light form factor.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

17. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

I often carry a money clip with a few bills, Driver's license and debit card. Very minimal wallet.

18. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Yeah, just me. I don't get it.

19. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

It is all good, if we all carried the same thing the "Show us your....." threads would really suck.

20. grrradical

grrradical Loaded Pockets

I might get some heat for this but I don't understand ALL of the "show us your....whatever" threads. It feels like a lot of them are just the same thing over and over. But that's just me....