1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What EDC item(s) do you not "get"?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by grrradical, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Stuart Mantel

Stuart Mantel Loaded Pockets

Bottle openers are on everything. (I think it's a law somewhere.) After saying that, I don't know why some people carry a dedicated bottle opener.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

2. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Pocket sized computers (smartphones)- In RL, I'm pretty antisocial, so I have no need to text, talk, or otherwise be in constant communication with anyone. I also don't have a job that allows me the luxury of stopping what I'm doing to chitchat on FacePage about what I had for lunch or that I'm hash tagging something just to let the world know I care. I find them to be unnecessary and a waste of money.

That said, there are iPads, Kindles, and smartphones in the Cone household.

AAA lights- I wear big boy pants with big boy pockets so I can carry a big boy flashlight.

Partially due to my aversion to "survival keychains" and partially because I just don't like a lot of crap on my keyring (everything here is one vehicle key and one house key only; my wife may have a key to her parent's house on her main keyring) I would never hang a AAA light off my keyring.

Also, they are underpowered for my needs. You don't get big lumens and you don't get long run times (relatively speaking) so, really, what's the point?

Again, ironically, I own more than a few-
    Taking from my master list

Small knives- Knives like the Nano, Gnome, Dragonfly, Ladybug, etc. are simply too small imnsho. I would never carry anything that small. Heck, I think the Delica is too small. I'll grant you that sometimes too big is simply too big as well. That's why I always and often say with conviction that the Endura is the best knife ever.

That said, I own more than a few small knives mainly based on what I've heard referred to as the "second kind of cool". I guess it would be more accurate to say that I understand why someone would collect small knives, but to actually carry one? That is beyond my reckoning.

While I almost never refrain from spouting off an opinion or two, I do think we all have to come to our own right answers in the end.

3. microbe

microbe EDC Junkie!!!!!

My wife uses pencil sharpeners. I sharpen pencils with a knife. :cool:

4. O_G

O_G Loaded Pockets

Thanks for taking the time to explain! I always love learning and possibly changing my own preferences.

I completely understand your opinion on the small flashlight and small knives they are limited in both catergories. I too think the Endura is one of the best on Earth with all things taken into account. However, I don't think you're giving pocket sized computers enough credit :) They are so much more than social media devices! I don't have Facebook or Twitter or anything hashtags. They are mini computers! Electronic Swiss Army knives. Calculator, map, compass, gps, library, books, movies, MP3 player, Notepad, backup flashlight, amazing camera and video camera, dictionary, thesaurus, encyclopedia, photo album, copy machine, barcode scanner, music identifier, calendar, bank account, wallet, clock, timer, alarm, noise machine, eBay, game console, taxi locater, and thousandssss of other things!!!! You might not care about any of those things, but you gotta get why others carry them :p

EZDog, CalicoSalsa, ManVsLawn and 6 others like this.
  5. Devon Scout

Devon Scout Loaded Pockets

I'll use a knife if I haven't a sharpener to hand. But, I like a sharpener as the shavings make great kindling for fire lighting. I collect the stuff all the time for my Scout Fire lighting demos. A sharpener it's self is also great used on twigs for kindling.

6. T.H.Cone

I don't care about such things, at least not to the extent I need to carry it around with me 24/7 and, while I agree a smartphone has a very legitimate utilitarian purpose, I mostly see it as a soul stealing, zombie creating, distracting, IQ lowering, addicting, isolating, electronic opiate.

When your face is looking down at that thing, the world... nay, your life is passing you by.

7. Corgi

Corgi EDC Junkie

Delica too small?! What do you carry, a XL Espada with a Buck 110 as a back up knife?

8. T.H.Cone

Endura.

9. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

If the delica were any smaller, I'd hate it.

I do have smaller knives...but they're all automatics. Half the draw is "it's not scary; it's cute."

So, I'm kinda with Coney there. It's entirely a 2nd kind of cool thing except when I'm wearing jeans...because the pockets suck.

10. TheGremlin

TheGremlin Loaded Pockets

I guess it's not the utility that I don't get, I just don't get the price. Whether you see it as a glorified box cutter or a small pry bar with a retractable blade, it's still not going to be worth $140. That's a little too spendy for me.

Sent from an alternate dimension using Tapatalk

11. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

The only thing I don't get about the RUT is why anyone wants to spend money to use a utility blade.

I've also never used one that was sharp for more than one or two cuts...if that. I just don't know how I'd carry enough spare blades to make it width not just using a pocket knife.

CalicoSalsa, ManVsLawn and Brtsmpsn like this.
  12. night_shift

night_shift Loaded Pockets

I don't get the "rotation" thing. If it a tool or a fashion accessory?

I myself am guilty of owning more knives than I use though. I just love blades and what's a girl to do. I don't get this either, so my "disapproval" goes to myself as well.

13. night_shift

night_shift Loaded Pockets

PS Prior to replacing my lost victorinox with a new one, I did carry a dedidated bottle opener with me, nothing else on it, just the bottle opener. A beer after work is nice and even though I tried I never managed to open a bottle without it. Shame, I know.

14. BobsBargains

BobsBargains Banned

I don't get:

Tip down carry - Annoys the crap out of me. I have a Spyderco Military and it bugs me big time that its tip down only.

Cheap knives - I'm a knife snob. I don't like cheap knives, never have.

Carrying 'survival' gear on a daily basis - BOB's, GHB's etc and carrying a fire steel, tinder and all that other survival gear.

Camo anything - Why? Unless you are in any of the armed forces or hunting. Why?

15. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

1). Like a FAK if you don't have something with you when you need it then it doesn't do you any good. Most people don't schedule emergencies.

How much and what you carry depends on how well you can improvise and how much is likely to be available where you are at any given time.

I'd probably carry things like that if I were out in the boonies. Not so much at the movies or a restaurant.

2). The color or pattern of your gear can be nothing more than a personal taste.

Or what the manufacturer/retailer had.

Or what someone thought you'd like when they gave it to you.

As for my own stuff I couldn't care what anyone else thinks about how it looks. It only has to work when I need it to do so,

That said I wouldn't wear orange camo to a funeral but I've seen it done. Yes, it was a topic of conversation. You just had to know the person and how it related to the deceased. It was nothing but an inside nod to something they loved in life.

It's all a matter of personal taste. If we all followed the same path in life and in the same locked step the world would be a mighty sad place.

Give 'em a light and they'll follow it anywhere.

16. masofnos

masofnos EDC Junkie!!!

I love saying to people who are walking looking at their phone "Look up and live" It has a mixed reaction haha

17. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

As a recent convert to a smart phone, I must humbly relate the smart phone... to the atomic bomb.

A power that could change the world, for way worse or way better.

I personally love the mapping features, banking on the go, and the ability to send pictures to clients and make quotes easier. From a business perspective, it is a true upgrade to my old flip phone. It allows me to not need a computer, if the computer goes wonky (and we all know, MVL's technical issues never cease to amaze...)

I see the incredible downside in scenes at diners. Multiple couples....sitting across from each other, as their food cools, and the air is silent.... Both staring down into electronic zombification.

18. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

Rut is priced high for the same reasons a sebenza or chaves redencion or an Atwood mini prytool is. Design, materials, exclusivity/collectibility, etc. the RUT is a high end knife maker's signature product, so the priicing will reflect that.

CalicoSalsa, ManVsLawn and Brtsmpsn like this.
  19. Bloke

Bloke Loaded Pockets

20. Stuart Mantel

Stuart Mantel Loaded Pockets

The rotation thing is part fashion part practical. Good knives aren't made to sit in a box or get dusty sitting on a shelf.

Dedicated bottle openers are fine if that's all you've got. I carry an SAK, credit card tool, and key chain tool all with openers. Why would I need another?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk