1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What EDC item(s) do you not "get"?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by grrradical, Nov 2, 2015.

1. grrradical

grrradical Loaded Pockets

I love browsing through pictures of different EDC rotations, hand dumps, setups, etc. as much as the next person. Do any of you ever see something in an EDC picture and just wonder why that item is necessary or even desirable to carry?

The standout items to me are knucks of any kind, especially some of the really expensive pieces I've seen. Their legality is questionable and their efficacy is debatable, so I always shake my head when I see them included in EDC.

Another oddity to me is the fascination with bottle openers on EVERYTHING. I assume most of you are functioning alcoholics :p

2. Bedlam

Bedlam Loaded Pockets

Half the time I look at the things I carry and wonder why I'm carrying X Y or Z to be honest, let alone other people's gear.

To be honest I don't 'get' the Atwood and Vox type tools for the most part; they look pretty cool but for me at least don't seem worth the price point. That said, if my girlfriend has taught me nothing else, it's that sometimes the justification can be that it looks nice.

I'm now using her logic against her in the pursuit of EDC things.

3. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I don't get spending a lot of money, or building large collections, with aesthetics being the primary motive (call it "art" or "bling"). I'll pay through the nose for the best functional item in a given category, cough up a bit more for a nicer looking version, buy exact copies as spares, and buy multiple items in certain categories I'm particularly interested in (as long there are functional differences); but I cannot buy three of essentially the same functional item in different colors (etchings, materials, etc.)

That said, I know that the non-collector/enthusiast simply cannot fathom the finer functional differences that are obvious to the true collector/enthusiast ;).

4. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Knucks, Trinkets, Excessive beads of all types. It's annoying sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Ben Rubinstein

Everyone to their own. Let's be frank, most of the world things that a 'normal' EDC is excessive and that a flashlight or pocket knife (if indeed necessary) costing over $50-100 is utter madness. If people here want to wear their 'jewellery' on their gear and keyrings rather than on their wrists and fingers, it may be different but it's no less excessive from the point of view of the person who cannot or does not want to, afford them. Big wide world out there. If there is room for Hipsters, there's room for Atwood carriers. :D

6. pipey

pipey Loaded Pockets

Each to their own !

Lellobeetle, madlag, DESTRO and 4 others like this.
  7. Bedlam

Bedlam Loaded Pockets

True Ben, and at least personally I'm not ragging on anyone for what they choose to carry. I didn't think of it in a similar vein to jewelry, but it makes sense actually. I'll defend an Atwood fan before I defend hipsters any day of the week anyway; at least Atwood carriers are more likely to carry a flashlight :p

kikissabiz, madlag, DESTRO and 6 others like this.
  8. Ben Rubinstein

I think defending Hipsters on the forum is an offence punishable by death?

9. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Well, there definitely is room for Atwood carriers.

Now we just have to figure out how to keep the hipsters from taking up space...

Anyway....I don't get pry bars.

I absolutely understand not wanting to use a knife when a pry bar is the correct tool. I just can't see it coming up all that often...

In my life, 99%+ of the times I've needed a pry bar, I've happened to have a claw hammer in my hand at the time or I used something with a lot more leverage like, most recently, a hand truck.

GrayMouser, DESTRO, Brtsmpsn and 3 others like this.
  10. TheGremlin

TheGremlin Loaded Pockets

The Rexford RUT. It's a hundred and something dollars for a glorified box cutter. It's not even like you are paying more for some top secret super steel, it uses the same blades that you could put in a Gerber EAB, or *gasp* a generic hardware store box cutter. And, from my understanding, they're not even that comfortable to use if you have alot of boxes to cut. I just don't see the justification or the hype.
    Cue rotten tomatoes now.

Sent from an alternate dimension using Tapatalk

11. jerit

jerit Loaded Pockets

I might be burned at the stake for heresy, but in my opinion, Swiss Army Knives are worthless. The more the gadgets, the more worthless they become.:frantic:

12. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

:eek::devil:

[​IMG]

13. tankmbt

tankmbt Loaded Pockets

There is a point of diminishing return with Swiss army knives, where they become cumbersome. How many times are you going to use that orange peeler or package hook? Now a well chosen model, fit to one's specific needs is an excellent tool to have at hand.

The one I don't get would be bags. I've got a "murse" I carry on longer outings, say a long stay in a waiting room or overnight trip, or if I'm going to be on foot away from a vehicle.

Other than that my vehicle, home or work is my home base and I can make due past that.

I'll concede that I've eyed a few tacti-cool bags, even suggested it to the Wife as a present idea. I'm sure there's many people that rely heavily on theirs, they just aren't for me.

14. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Booo! Burn the witch!!!

Only half joking. The venerable SAK is one of the more useful items carried in anyone's pocket. Although I do agree that once they get larger than 3 layers, it gets a little ridiculous. The smaller versions are immensely capable and worthy if any praise they get.

hkusp9f, Bird_Dog, Sachmo and 8 others like this.
  15. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Sort of agree. I don't get the idea of a swisschamp but three, or four layers at a push doesn't take up much room. On top of that its non-knife person friendly. That's a big selling point I think - certainly in the uk. Mine get a fair bit of use.

16. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

A SAK is one of my two most useful EDC items. The second being a flashlight. I don't necessarily have any one category of item that I really don't like, but I do think it's a bit crazy to see some of the incredible amounts of materials some people are carrying. I've given up on the idea of having something in my pocket for everything my little mind can possibly conceive of...but a SAK and a flashlight...now those are two can't do without items. Oh, and I think it's silly to see wedding bands and such listed as part of a persons "EDC".

17. Craig Grabowsky

Craig Grabowsky Loaded Pockets

I don't get-prybars (as moostapha said), paracord wrist bands, just about anything with Molle straps and Zippo over butane lighters. But what upsets me most of all is prepackaged FAK's and survival kits that are sealed. Unless the user is getting an extra to practice with they are justing asking for trouble.

DESTRO, Bedlam, Brtsmpsn and 2 others like this.
  18. joshwhoha

joshwhoha Loaded Pockets

Spinning tops, expensive beads, custom SAKs (sorry) and most 'fidgety' things... With all the crap I carry, I have little enough pocket space without adding fancy bulk, however gorgeous. Not meaning to offend, and I'm not judging, but I just don't get it... Then again, I'm pretty sure it's willful and I'm just jealous. :rolleyes:

19. Cody_2ZZ

Cody_2ZZ Loaded Pockets

I generally don't get the whole Atwood thing, mainly because of the price-point. I do have a Gerber shard, and have used it from time-to-time, I can't imagine spending that kind of money on something like that. I'm also not into the "fidgety" things too much. I don't need or understand a top or whatever just taking up space. That being said, I completely understand an item having sentimental value, so perhaps a little fidgety thing can be a morale-booster of sorts. The motto for EDC stuff (and for life in general, really) is "different strokes for different folks."

DESTRO, CSM-101, Bedlam and 3 others like this.
  20. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I come in defense of pry bars! :p

often, I need some sort of 'iron finger', a pokey scraper pry tool.

from work to home projects, carrying one is a lot easier than trying to track one down or running all the way out to the garage/back to the truck for a simple lifting tool.

this being said, I'm relatively DIY and quite the busy body, with projects, tasks, etc.

Bust a few knife tips, and y'all will want that 20$ beater pry bar just to keep your knife sharp and tip pointed.

I didn't understand bling/beads until my gear was 'set', or I kinda knew what I liked. Then I could see the 'want' for decoration. Plus certain beads (Tactical donuts) are cheap and really extend the handle, allowing for a full grip instead of 3 fingered hold. The tactical donuts also make a scary serrated work knife look less intimidating.

I also do not understand expensive knucks. I can see a cheap one, or improvised one, or homemade one.... But I think it odd to pay so much for something rather ineffective. Vox Snails are still cool as heck...

in the end, to each their own, and we carry this junk becaause it makes us happy. :D