1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What EDC gear makers produce goods in your home state?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by IMightBeWrong, Jun 27, 2017.

1. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

I like to support my local economy and I know plenty of others do as well. I thought it may be a good idea to showcase some local makers of quality gear that are local, and others could do the same. This could help support local economies and also spread the word about some gear and goods that may get overlooked otherwise.

I'll get started. I like in Arizona. I've found a few producers of various goods are in my state. By category:

Knives: Medford Knife and Tool. I learned this by asking to see a guy's knife once when I saw a really colorful looking and chunky blade sticking out of his pocket. Turned out the guy was a grinder for Medford and was happy to show off the product. Knife was a Praetorian and was excellently built. These guys do some really cool blades!

Flashlights: Peak LED Solutions. I've gotten a few products from them. The very first light I ordered was an Eiger Ultra with a Neutral LED. Within 2 days it was delivered, but not by a postal delivery person! Robyn, the President of the company, was delivering the light to me in person since I lived near her anyway. She was a really nice lady, talked to me about the product line a bit, and gave me a business card inviting me to call if I had any questions or wanted to make any future orders. Peak lights have been discussed around the forum pretty extensively and I'm happy to support them as well and share my home state with a great company.

Leather Belts and Wallets: I have had, and continue to use, Wallets from a company formerly known as Bison Made that is now known as Ezra Arthur. 4 gentlemen named the company after their father who was also a craftsman. Their logo remains a beautiful stamping of a Bison. They use some extremely high quality, fragrant leather and hand stitch their products. These are easily some of my favorite leather goods and produced here in Phoenix, AZ.

Firearms Related: A couple of noteworthy companies for shooters exist out here, primarily as training schools but also providers of equipment including custom firearms and gear as well as training materials. These two companies are Suarez International in Prescott and Haley Strategic in Scottsdale. Great companies with great training and great products. And as another mention that almost goes without saying, of course the widely known company Ruger is based out of AZ as well. My first firearm was a Ruger Mark II which remains my primary plinking pistol.

Should I discover any other companies in my state that impress me I will be sure to post about them. What gear companies are in your state? Or if you don't reside in the U.S., what companies local to you do you support?

2. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

Idaho:
    This is just off the top of my head; I'm sure there are a few more, but here goes:

Knives: Buck, Chris Reeves

Packs: Eberlestock

Firearms/firearm related: Primary Weapon Systems, Gemtech (silencers), CCI (ammo and ammo components)

Holsters: Milt Sparks, Alien Gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surefire7 and huntnow like this.
  3. cole3418

cole3418 Loaded Pockets

Oregon:
    Just a few I could think of off the top of my head

Leatherman
    Gerber
    CRKT
    Benchmade
    Kershaw
    Hydroflask

Last edited by cole3418, Jun 27, 2017
    #3 cole3418, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    surefire7, ran23 and LivingUpNorth like this.
  4. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

In Michigan, there's this company called Shinola and another that I keep reading about called Bark River Knife and Tool. ;)

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

5. rkazooti

rkazooti Loaded Pockets

In Duluth, Mn. we have three I can think of right away: Frost river & Duluth pack both make waxed canvas bags & packs, as well as other canvas items. (wallets, notebooks, cases) My sole truck, camping, travel and edc bag is A Duluth pack large day pack.

If you're a motor cyclist, Aerostitch manufactures some of the best high end riding jackets & pants around, as well as other gear and tools for bikers. All three of these gear makers are located within a mile of one another. All three are known nation wide & in some circles (edc & bikers) world wide.

IMightBeWrong likes this.
  6. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

Doublestar Firearms, Anderson Manufacturing Firearms both made in KY. There is some decent bourbon too.

7. aasoverteakettle

aasoverteakettle Loaded Pockets

Darn Tough socks and Skida hats are standard in Vermont.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surefire7 and IMightBeWrong like this.
  8. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

Atwood :) Smith & Wesson, Savage Arms, Kahr Arms, John Kubasek, Polartec, TheWatchMaker to name a few in MA.

surefire7 and IMightBeWrong like this.
  9. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

"Some good Bourbon"! Does anyone bottle real Kentucky Branch Water I can have shipped to Phoenix?

10. Jammer Six

Jammer Six Loaded Pockets

No idea. I prefer goods made overseas.

11. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Wilson Combat. Remington ammunition.

12. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

In addition to the aforementioned Kentucky products, we also have a new Marlin firearms factory here, some of Carhartt's USA made line is here, we have one of the two US distributors for Columbia outerwear, several custom knifemakers (notably including Gil Hibben), Elzetta flashlights, some other clothing manufacturers, and undoubtedly some more that I'm not aware of.

Johnny Depp, Rosemary Clooney, George Clooney, Louisville Slugger baseball bats, Josh Hutcherson, KFC, Fazolis, Papa John's Pizza, Bill Monroe (the father of bluegrass music), Jennifer Lawrence, all three of the Judds, Loretta Lynn, , Jim Beam, Makers Mark, Fireball whisky, and many other non-EDC notables were also made here.

ETA: Keen Kutter knives were also made here once upon a time, Briggs and Stratton has an engine manufacturing plant here, and Bicycle playing cards are made in Erlanger.
    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#12 thatotherguy, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    huntnow and IMightBeWrong like this.
  13. Bloodstriker

Bloodstriker Loaded Pockets

I came across this interesting tiny startup knife maker in British Columbia called North Arm Knives. I went into their workshop and it was just a father and son running the whole thing. Even though they didn't have a store front, they welcomed me in to take a look. I chose a CNC then finished by hand S35vn fixed blade with orange G10 handles with a Jude's sheath. The father chatted with me while he assembled the knife and shaved down some of corners that I mention that I thought could me rounded. Great people, beautiful knife. I really liked his story of how he gave up his career in the IT industry to work with his son in creating this company. It shows great values. Anyways. Here's the pic.

[​IMG]

GaryRanson, surefire7, ran23 and 4 others like this.
  14. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Nighthawk, Wlson Combat, Walther, Sig Ammo, Remington.

I wish I knew someone smaller that made individual gear.

15. willb00023

willb00023 Loaded Pockets

Field notes is the only thing I can think of from Chicago Illinois as far as gear but I know GP knives is in the other end of my state.

16. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Found out recently that Dana industrial and commercial axles are made here too.