1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What do you use your flashlight for?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by gadgetguy35, Nov 12, 2009.

1. mikellen

mikellen Empty Pockets

I use it for anything that I need to see when its dark. Really, I feel uncomfortable now if I don't have a flashlight with me even if its
    just my Photon Freedom Micro at least I know I will be able to see.

2. callmekipling

callmekipling Empty Pockets

People understand what flashlights do. I feel like they ask this question because they haven't thought about it, or they have weighed their own options and decided the weight/effort/thought isn't worth the benefit.

Depending on which of those I feel is asking me, I either go with "I have come to understand over the course of my life that some tools, when needed, are needed right :censored: now (works also for knife, firearm, rescue inhaler)" or simply "I like to see when its dark" :)

3. jlagman

jlagman Loaded Pockets

I'm a bit of a night owl, but aside from reducing the possibility of waking family members in the middle of the night, I'll use a flashlight around the house to save energy. ;D

4. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

Finding car/frontdoor keyhole in the dark.
    Where I live a lot of houses are along unlit tracks so sometimes finding the car and at work lighting up dark spots in buildings, cupboards, under floors , roof spaces, etc
    I have a Fauxton type light in my left pocket, an EO1 in jeans 5th pocket, a 1watt in my bag and each of 2 toolbags, a 3 watt in the glove box of my van and a 2,000,000 candle power rechargeable lamp under the seat.
    Oh,and a capsule lighter for if all those batteries are flat.
    Also always have a charger for the AAA and AAs & spare Eniloops (3 of each) and a can of Zippo fluid, all in the glove box.

5. Revi138

Revi138 Loaded Pockets

And, what with everything else, a really big glove box...

6. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I used to work on pressure washers. They have dark places built into them.

I once was in Frys and the power went out. It didn't get pitch black, but I used my P2D to help a lady who was poking around batteries find what she was looking for.

I got out to the garage a lot after dark and it's much easier to use a flashlight than to try and get the main lights going. Cheaper on the electric bill too!

The best answer to why a flashlight goes something like: "If there is a chance of rain many people will carry an umbrella. There is a 100% chance it will get dark tonight. 'Nuff said?"

7. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

Almost every night I go in the backyard to check on the four dogs we have. This means watching out for their waste so gotta have a flashlight to light the path. Nowadays, I use a Maratac AAA. Nice little light.

8. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Loaded Pockets

Nicely put.

9. Proc

Proc Loaded Pockets

Agreed nicely put.

10. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

As a R.N.,it'd be easier to list what I don't use my flashlights for!

I do not feel dressed :help: without my Maratac AAA,my A.G.Russell One-Hand knife,my keys,my billfold,phone.

...and have recently added a ZL501 headlamp in a belt pouch....first week I carried it,I used it to help an ER doctor visualize :shocked: intubating an overdosed teenager.And for getting to/from & in/out of deerstands safely.And finding my GrandBrats :( in the dark back yard.

Hard to believe the major advances in flashlight technology since early MagLites!

----Gnarly :evilgrin:

11. AcesQ

AcesQ Loaded Pockets

Find my way around the park dark at night. =)

12. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

i carry them around just in case... of something falling under the car seat at night..... of a rolling brown out/black out ... checking the fleet vehicle in the morning...random stuff.. =]

13. zuixro

zuixro Loaded Pockets

I work in a theatre. Why do I carry one? Because this happens every so often:

*five minutes before the house opens*
    "The scrollers on the second cat aren't responding. Go check their address."

I could go out of the booth, go out into the dark hall. Fiddle with the keys for 2 minutes. Find the right key on the 8th try. Stumble up a spiral stair case. Stumble down two flights of stairs that are way shallow to be legal. Scramble back up a cast iron flight of stairs that are about 5 inches wide, trying to be as quiet as possible. Manage to get to the first catwalk. Find the path the the second. Try to remember how far it is to the 2 steps up right as I trip over them. Count off fixtures until I find the right one while trying not to trip over the chair that's up here for some reason, and all the random cords that people leave lying around. Find the right one (I hope) and bend down under it to look at the address. Hit my head on the lower bar. Finally get under it and read the DIP switches by the ambient light. Try to remember which way they go because it's written so small that I can't read it in the low light. Fumble for my phone and turn it on. Write down which switches are up and down so I can calculate it later. Then try to stand up without bumping any fixtures. Then do the whole thing in reverse.

Yeah I think I'll just carry my flashlight.

Don't get me started on working during focus sessions...

14. robertrock

robertrock Loaded Pockets

I use a Novatac 120P at night and early morning so I don't wake my wife, bathroom trips, and to get dressed in my dark closet, it make a great ceiling-bounce candle. :highfive:

At work I use a Streamlight Stylus Pro to read computer part serial numbers, etc., through the anti-static bags.

robert

15. Brangdon

Brangdon Loaded Pockets

It's sometimes useful, even in daytime, to see better in dark spots under desks etc.

I also carry it "just in case". I was on holiday recently, and we'd all be advised to have torches and all had them, but I was probably the only person carrying one all the time. I needed it on a few occasions. For example, there was a toilet with no window and no working light which would have been pitch black without a torch.

16. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

We just spent the last 40 hours with no power. Almost everything got used...work lights, EDC lights, SOLED's, even a cheap wind up flashlight. Who says you can have too many flashlights (or batteries!)?

17. gadgetguy35

Recently my son was sick, and I had to check his temperature every two hours without waking him. Hard to do, but my flashlight helped a ton. I always have one when I am on duty(I think it is MANDATORY for every Security guard to have at least one!), but I have started carrying one even when off duty. I just use it so much!

18. colubrid

colubrid Loaded Pockets

I am looking for a good small AAA that has a strong flood

Price is not an issue.

I am looking for a small aaa light that has a very high HIGH. I use it to find escaped snakes hiding in my garage and adjacent neihbors houses at night after thy escape from my
    2000 plus snake collection. I am a professional breeder. What Ineed the light for the most is looking for 2000 snakes collection where one always seems to have escaped. These L-M-H and M-L-H settings are just not going to get the job done.

I dislike these small AAA lights that go from M-L-H or L-M-H [yuk!] I wish they made one with H-M-L to get into action when you need it right away. Also would be nice to family impress guests whith a bight output from th get go. I am speaking specifically of the Maratac and Titanium Innovations IlluminaTi CA1 LED Flashlight with Cree XP-G R5 LED & Titanium Body. I can't decide between tese two becaus their high takes 5 turns to get tro and shut off.

But I want a single AAA that is strong (115 plus Lumens). Runtime not an issue but size of the light must be small like a maratac or ARC aaa.

I lcannot find a single bright flood light or one that has "H" on the first level . Or just plain have the level.

see:

www.Bluerosy.com

19. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

Well, the obvious answer is to see in dark/ill-lit areas...
    I use my lights to see where my dogs pooped so I can pick it up, looking into the steam drums to check the level of product riding inside at work, getting dressed in the mornings without waking the misses (who is NOT a morning person by any stretch of the imagination), navigating out the house without killing myself on the wee one's strewn about toys, etc...

20. gadgetguy35

Every part of that except the dogs mirrors my household. I'm not quite sure if my wife actually sleeps or just lays there with her eyes closed for 8 hours. All I have to do is exhale a little louder than normal and she wakes up and grumbles at me for being so loud. And my child has only pointy toys for some reason, and they cause many a blue streak if I don't have a flashlight on me.