1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What do you use mini-prybars for?

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by hazna, May 30, 2009.

1. Easy

Easy Loaded Pockets

OK, I'm convinced.

I had not seen the utility of mini-prybars either, but thinking of how many times I've bent a fingernail trying to coax a battery out of a device, I think I need one.

Great suggestion!

2. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Mine is used mostly at work when we're changing over signage & promotional P.O.S. (Point of Sale) material.
    MY boss is rather "trigger-happy" with a Staple gun, so I always have hundreds (Im NOT exagerating!) of Staples to remove to get old signs down before putting new ones up.

Previously, I blasphemously used to pry them out with a knife tip but now I use the Micro widgey on my keys or something a little bigger out of my bag of evil.

3. mister_fox

mister_fox Loaded Pockets

Other than opening beer bottles, mine was used yesterday to lift a door a little while hanging it helped line everything up nicely.

4. Scorpion Regent

Scorpion Regent Empty Pockets

I've been pondering this very question for a while now. For prying apart small items I will use one of the screwdriver tips on my Gerber MP600 or a CC technician's screwdriver. For serious prying I just get a large screw driver. The length of a mini prybar doesn't convince me of much leverage potential. I agree that prying something with a knife blade is risky at best. I broke a pocketknife a long time ago that way and learned my lesson. Somehow I can't see getting a micro prybar when I have other tools that will do the job. I suppose a micro pry bar might make a good scraper for a fire steel with the added benefit that it's robust enough to do other jobs with, but the extra added weight isn't encouraging.

I'm going to save my money for other things and not buy one.

5. Rocket Jones

Rocket Jones Empty Pockets

Good points, if you carry screwdrivers. I have the CC technician's driver, but I'm not sure how much force it could take as a pry tool before the plastic sides fail.

I find I seldom use my mini pry bar on a daily basis, mainly because it's too large for pocket carry and too much of a pain to access in my bag when I need it. Screwdrivers are always handy.

6. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

That is something I need to check out. Is the micro widgy a good scraper for a fire steel? I carry both on me at all times and sometimes wonder if my blade of the day will cause enough spark. My H1 blade on my Salt I doesn't work too well. Haven't tried my SAK yet. I think I will try the widgy first.

I use mine for soda cans, opening hard multi tools, as a scraper, I forget what else. It is handy. I have used it more than I would have thought.

7. defloyd

defloyd Loaded Pockets

I carry my Pico Widgy in my wallet , can hardly tell it's there when I don't need it (I think a Micro would be at home in a wallet too size wise). During early spring we had a lot of rainfall and at night the temp dropped way down, freezing just about everything. I went to take the garbage out and the can's lid was frozen shut, so I put my Widgy between the lid and can, hit it with my fist to wedge it in and then hit it with a downard strike and popped it right open. Kind of wreckless I know, but I shielded my face and the Pico is cheap, so I didn't worry about if it was damaged (there was no damage btw) and it was a testament to it's durability.

Care to try with a multitool?

I also worked as a groundsman/cleanup boy for my brother's roofing business, having a pocketable prybar without the right angled end would have been :censored: useful for pulling nails from my boot and multitools don't have the v-notch.

Let's put it this way, if you need to be convinced, you most likely don't need one.

8. Brangdon

Brangdon Loaded Pockets

Carry a Leatherman or a knife? What am you, some kind of survivalist? Real men use their car keys for prying.

PS Does anyone know the number of a good locksmith? :brickwall:

9. VANCE

VANCE Loaded Pockets

my str Ti prybar is used as a ferro striker. its attached to my Victorinox . the thought of the blade closing on my fingers or using the sharpened edge gave me the idea.

10. Fosszombie

Fosszombie Empty Pockets

I ordered my widgy bar to open boxes, take out staples, pry rubber caps off tubes, etc. In an emergency it can be used to cut through drywall if you really need to and say you left your knife in the car because security didn't let you have it in.

It does look like I might not be getting my Widgy bar though since countycomm is OUT =( Let's hope they order more shipments. I don't want to have to use my nylon spork on drywall.

11. johnnytest

johnnytest Loaded Pockets

When I started reading this forum a few days ago I thought the same thing."What's with all the prybars?" Well they looked cool and so I bought one for my brother as a birthday gift, and of course got one for my self.(Gerber Artifact) Once I started carrying it around I just found that I used it. It is kind of hard to explain. I can't think of a lot of situations off the top of my head where I would necessarily need a pry bar, but if you have it they just seem to pop up! Kind of weird....[​IMG]

12. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Welcome to EDCF johnnytest!

I've used mine only a couple of times, for pulling hard-to-reach nails. It was actually a good tool for that.

13. johnnytest

What I needed was a prybar for photo links. It took me almost an hour to get the Picasa photo link thing to link. Thank god I am at work.

14. sheetbend

sheetbend Empty Pockets

I used my Atwood Gen 2 Mini Gasbaby to check an Oxygen bottle at the Red Cross 1st Aid Station last Saturday. It works well for soda bottles too.
    I've used my Atwood Gen2 Flat Titanium Gasbaby with a flint (metal match) rod to start a fire.

15. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

as a mini scraper, to cut tape on packages, and prying stuff
    I sharpened the edge of mine

16. minew

minew Empty Pockets

At work we have a wall of cabinets and half the drawers won't open unless forced. My mini pry bar opens them with no problem! Also at home if I've forgot my keys *which happens a lot* while out walking the dog and I am locked out... I am able to open up a window and let myself in! Plus the usual uses, nails, popping lids off cans and what not! Very versitile!

17. johnnytest

I decided to keep track. Today I used the Artifact to pry off a 2 IV tubing caps that were stuck, and I screwed in a computer keyboard extension arm that was loose. They should issue these things in the boy scouts. They are the modern equilivant of pocket knives.

18. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

I just bough t a 5" mini- pry bar. Reason ? Not really that I need it , but because I thought I was going the wrong direction too many times. I have been thinking and saying that many EDC items are useless or too expensive ..etc. So, finally I thought to buy something to practically test myself. Am I being a wise guy or is it that I am too arrogant to admit others are smarter and wiser.

The first thing I have noticed when I opened the package is that the two sharp edges are baaad for the hands and fingers. If they were just a bit sharper I would have ended up using my bandaids.

OK. I can fix that by putting some tape on the edges util they are needed.

I looked at it. Am I going to really use this thing ? I doubt it from the first moment.
    So, my brain started ticking to find some other uses than prying.

It is sharp isnt it ? It can be used for cutting
    OK, I started cutting open the packaging of another tool I have bought.
    The mini-pry bar cut very nicely, just like a knife.

So, I guess it can be used as a knife, but being 5 inches long it can't sit in my pocket or keychain. Putting it in the bag, it may injure my finger when digging for stuff.
    Best thing is to put it where I may most likely use it . Maybe in the office desk. Because in my home desk I have a small tool kit with almost everything I need, and just a few yards away, I have my "everything" tool kit.

19. fshalor

fshalor Loaded Pockets

**second this.

And to open things that I just need a strong object for (letters, tape on packages, etc)

20. Corbs

Corbs Loaded Pockets

So it would seem that it's for when you'd break a nail or knife tip, I can see that now actually, I've never totally understood them, but I get it. I think I'll get the Shard in Feb 2010.

It is one of the great ironies of this forum and it's members when they have a s many Ti pieces as they can find and then just add a hunking great breacher bar!