1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What do you use glow sticks for?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by filjos, Jul 17, 2012.

1. filjos

filjos Loaded Pockets

This might be a silly question, but what are people using glow sticks for? What is the intended use or reason for packing them, and what do they actually get used for? I see them listed often in FAKs, but I don't understand why. After a little research I see that they can be used to mark patients in a triage situation, but that can't be all.

My imagination is weak this morning, so I need to hear what other folks are doing with them before I bother to procure any.

2. smashie

smashie Loaded Pockets

Can be used to signal rescuers, attach it to end of some paracord and spin it round your head. instead of a 12" target you've got a 12' diameter target.

Don't use batteries either.

3. Kontractor

Kontractor Loaded Pockets

Raving :D Some form of illumination that doesn't require a ton of light. Honestly, I just got some of the life sticks or the energizer led glow sticks. Turn them on, they flash, stay solid, and have a build in flashlight at the end... with replaceable batteries.

Glow sticks would be for emergencies, at least for me. I don't do no tactical stuff, so I see no need for them for my own use.

whoozle and aphex2k like this.
  4. derfyled

derfyled Loaded Pockets

Getting 12 hours of light can get handy in emergency situation. If a person get injured in the woods, it might be good to leave her the lightstick. You then can keep your flashlight while going to get some help.

filjos likes this.
  5. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

I'm sort of puzzled, it's a disposable light stick, it either meets your needs or it doesn't.

When I was an Alarm Service Investigator I carried some in the map bag. The high intensity type - on some key calls I would crack one of them and skip it across the concrete floor of a large warehouse, like Mercedes Benz or Michelin. I could get some workable light farther than the throw of the Sure-Fire 9P I carried at the time. In some of those places, the exit lights were only bright enough to tell you if someone was standing in the doorway immediately below it and that was it. And in some of the very same places, the lights were off to save money.

6. Mr_Moe

Mr_Moe Loaded Pockets

Give them to little kids of friends and watch their eyes glow.

mooshisho and filjos like this.
  7. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

I use them for Jack-O-Lanterns, too. :D

8. k.o.milo

k.o.milo Loaded Pockets

This make me think about Rambo 3;
    John Rambo: This is a glowstick
    Lockal guide: What dos it do?
    John Rambo: It's glow....
    :D:p

KAMM likes this.
  9. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

I carry a Life Gear glowstick on me. I use it to mark myself when I'm in a group and want people to be able to see where I am. Helpful both in the woods and at Disneyland.

KAMM, Kontractor and mooshisho like this.
  10. Atomick

Atomick Loaded Pockets

I use them for illumination amongst members of a kayak pod during nighttime paddles. However I've found them too dim for most uses, and the chemicals in them are incredibly toxic, making me concerned about disposal. I have since stopped using glowsticks in favor of Lazerbrites, whose modularity and features appeal to me more than life gear sticks.

11. filjos

filjos Loaded Pockets

Right. The question was how does it meet your needs. In all my time as a Scout, EMT, and Park Ranger, they aren't something that I have ever carried. A lot of folks carry them in their edc kits and I wanted to know why. I'm not going to pack something that I have no use for. Since I couldn't think of anything I would use them for, I asked what other people use them for. I didn't want my ignorance of their potential uses to prevent me from benefiting from having a few.

I appreciate all of the feedback. Knowledge is power.

12. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

I have used to light things up, but mostly for fun. This is the light shade in my bedroom with a blue and a green stick inside:

[​IMG]

DBR, mooshisho, derfyled and 2 others like this.
  13. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

I see them as an emergency light source with a more or less infinite shelf life. No batteries, decent run time. Can be thrown to where you need the light with no worries of it breaking. Tie a string and twirl it for an emergency signal or lower it down a hole. Or just spin it to watch the tracers. Lots of uses both fun and practical. The small flexible ones make great markers for obstacles or people and pets at night parties.

When you crack a 12 hour light stick for the kids to play with for an hour, you can put them in the freezer and they're good for weeks. When the kids are ready to play with them again, get them out and they start glowing as soon as they warm up.

The cloud in that silver lining is, they don't work well in the cold.

shmook and filjos like this.
  14. Idaho Gunslinger

Idaho Gunslinger Loaded Pockets

Shoot them in the dark with a .22! Great fun and a tough target but they splatter really cool.

KAMM and shmook like this.
  15. Aleister

Aleister Loaded Pockets

Eeeeeverybody knows that if you use a tiny glow stick in total darkness you don't "see dead people" anymore :D

OK, my uses so far: my kids love to play with them, I had marked my mobile phone position in a totally dark room I had slept (with one of the tiny ones), I used a couple of the bigger ones as a night light for my kids when their night light broke (life gears shut down on their own after a couple of hours, iTP A3s and A2s also shut down on their own, DX button lights are good for two nights each, some cheap AA/AAA led lights from DX are making noise on low, I don't trust a lithium flashlight on for the whole night in kids' room).

16. veeks62

veeks62 Loaded Pockets

Throw a couple down a dark hole to see how deep it is. Seen that in a movie once. :D

17. Dok J

Dok J Loaded Pockets

Signaling turns in a maze?

Seriously, can be handy in caves maybe...
    SAR signaling would be my main use.

mooshisho likes this.
  18. azpops

azpops Loaded Pockets

While Harlee and I was on this remote water treatment construction project (we were on a 1 1/2 year contract, and the first of three projects we did for this company) located approximately a mile and a half in from a paved road.

[​IMG]

When they did the pours (seen more or less in this photo. The sewage treatment holding tanks went down 30 plus feet), which was done in stages (forgot how many though ... lol). Which usually started at 23:00, ending at 07:00, yeah big pours.

[​IMG]

The cement truck company would use hundreds of glow sticks, replacing them as needed through out the night, to dictate which path the trucks would use to come into and exit the site.

We were so far into the desert, as you can see in this photo, you can't see the paved road. But it's there! ... lol

[​IMG]

I wish I took a photo of what the place looked like with the glow sticks. It was pretty cool though!

filjos, derfyled and DBR like this.
  19. orrigey

orrigey Banned

fI AM A SHILL DO NOT LISTEN TO ME!

mooshisho and azpops like this.
  20. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

^ Tis perdy.