1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What do you Tow? Pics Please of Course!

Discussion in 'Travel' started by EZDog, Sep 29, 2016.

1. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have noticed that we have a What do you Drive thread,which I really like and I imagine several of us also drag our EDC behind us with some frequency too so lets see them!

I have recently become some kind of Cargo Trailer :censored: and I am having a pretty good time with it too!
    I often need more stuff than I can carry in the Sprinter or Pickup and also need to be be pre-packed for specialized jobs which a Cargo Trailer can be pretty handy for so these are my rational mostly but mainly it is a lot of fun having more Toys/Tools for carrying the junk that I need to EDC!

I am sure I am not the only one?

First up is my little 5'x8' Wabash Duraplate mini Dry Van that was a prototype made by Wabash for dealer shows. I snagged this from a Wabash Employee and there are only 4 like it in the world as they were made to demo the technologies they use to make 53' over the road trailers in a tiny easy to show form.
    It is pretty unique as the walls are just 1/2"ish composite they make called Duraplate and there is no wall framing as in most trailers.
    It is crazy strong but also crazy light.
    So far I am calling this one the Radio Trailer and I recently used it to support 3000 bike riders in an MS Ride as a mobile cross-band repeater rig and it also deploys the 35' tip-over antenna tower really well

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

G.T., sungame and Nick4305 like this.
  2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Then there is the 7'x10' Max Cargo unit that I found earlier this year and drove down to S.Georgia to pick up which I have converted for use as both a Cargo and Camping rig!
    This one was a custom build for someone who abandoned the project and never took delivery of the trailer and I was able to get if for a song(I think of course)and it had my evil needs written all over it.

So far this one is working out great and yes I wish I could get just one more hinge on the rear door.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Last but not least is my used 12' Featherlite all aluminum trailer.

Featherlite are one of the prime brands at the top of the trailer food chain and sort of a Grail for me so I was excited to snag this one not too far from home in pretty good shape and I have big plans in my mind for it.

I found this one recently at a great price and went to see it and it followed me home somehow?
    I am planning to also use this one for Work and Play but have not really had the time to design or start any work on this one yet.
    It just sits in storage waiting patiently,I hope.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. G.T.

G.T. Loaded Pockets

Digging that 12' Featherlite. Former neighbor had a double axle 14' that was similar that he had invested quite a bit into converting it into an awesome field day trailer for use with the local amateur radio club. I had helped him place some self adhesive "golf cart solar panels" on the roof of it and was very impressed with the output from such an inexpensive set of panels. He added an awning to the right hand side that had fine mesh screen walls and some LED lights.

He lives somewhere in the Prescott Valley in Arizona now so sadly I haven't seen how it's progressed.

5. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

WORK!

[​IMG]

malraux72 likes this.
  6. G.T.

G.T. Loaded Pockets

Last progress picture the manufacturer sent me of our new Kimberley Kamper prior to loading it into a container and placing it on a ship so that it can cross the Pacific to me.

[​IMG]

Gary Gross and EZDog like this.
  7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

That is certainly one way I could go with this one too.
    I pretty much make them each as multi-purpose as I can though as I am hesitant to specialize too much in one at the expense of hauling or camping regardless of the other designed functions.
    The tiny Wabash seems such a natural fit as the Radio Rig as we do Field Days here outside and the trailer is just a storage container mostly and now that I can deploy antennas from it I have already gotten some great use from it.

The Featherlite is an awesome trailer for sure,most cargo units need the inside paneling to keep the sides together and lose a lot of integrity with the interior removed but the Featherlite are designed to be self-supporting with no walls inside which is pretty nice.
    On top of that they are so much lighter and stronger and easier to pull that there are reasons they are pricier all baked into them.

It is just a really nicely made trailer. When I compare it to the more conventional middle one I showed here it is like a night and day difference in quality and design in every little detail.

8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Holy Crap!
    And I mean that in the nicest way!

G.T. likes this.
  9. G.T.

G.T. Loaded Pockets

Ha, it's ridiculously over the top, but it was a retirement gift to myself and as far as I'm concerned I'm worth it. We currently use a FlipPac camper on our truck and while it's really easy and simple to setup and take down we still have lots of kit to pack and unpack when we go out camping.

[​IMG]

Adding the trailer to the mix allows me to consider a UTE canopy tray like these Australian Made Norweld models that are now being sold in the States to replace the bed altogether and giving me a roof on the truck that I can haul kayaks and conoes on. Perfect off-road camper trailer plus perfect off-road truck for our families needs equals great joy.

Looking forward to reading about your progress as you move through your upgrades to your trailers.

malraux72 likes this.
  10. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Pretty amazing for sure!
    Where are you located and is it as pricey as I imagine to get that thing shipped there?

As for pure RV,this is me.[​IMG][​IMG]

G.T. likes this.
  11. G.T.

G.T. Loaded Pockets

The shipping from Australia to the States was already included into the trailer price, however I am responsible for shipping from California to me which is just east of the Mississippi river.

I like your trailer. The MWR at our last duty station had some that they would rent out and we did that often.

12. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Your not at Scott are you?

13. G.T.

G.T. Loaded Pockets

Yes, you too?

14. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

No im in Brentwood but am over there a lot!
    We should meet up especially once you get that rig!

Sent from my iPhone don't expect too much

15. G.T.

G.T. Loaded Pockets

Sounds like a plan, I'm pretty active with the mo4wd.com group as well. If you like 4wd and adventure touring check them out.

16. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

We have one of these on order....expect it in June 2017. My 30+ yr two-wheeling career is essentially over after a THR this past March, so Momma and I are going camping on 4, errr 6 wheels now.

[​IMG]

We're very excited....our last trailer was 24' long and weighed over 4500 lbs. This is gonna be just the ticket.

G.T. likes this.
  17. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

i[​IMG][/quote]
    Would love to get one of these for field day

EZDog likes this.
  18. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I tow 2 jindos, very lightweight. Haha
    [​IMG]

I am looking for a tear drop style camper, maybe by next winter.

Gary Gross and TKC like this.
  19. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I really figured you'd say they tow you. Bet they're thinking it!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

20. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

Push as they might... ;)