1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What do you think...

Discussion in 'Knives' started by The Last Crow On The Wire, Jun 28, 2017.

1. The Last Crow On The Wire

The Last Crow On The Wire Loaded Pockets

... about the Boker Plus JB Stout Lateralus?
    I just ordered one (SS handle) to give it a whirl as it reminds me of a XM18 mixed with a Strider SNG. So, I figured at that price with those materials, it could be a fun beater blade. I carry a ZT0562CF I can't seem to leave at home and a whole gaggle of other knives from a lot of players. No true customs and I haven't yet pulled the trigger on a CRK Sebenza or Inkonosi or a true Strider (I have the ProTech colab.) Or a real Hinderer (I guess a knife fanatics "Holy 3").

So what do you guys think?:
    A) About The Boker
    B) What "high-end" knife should I get

Thanks,
    LastCrow

2. kdurt

kdurt Loaded Pockets

Just notice it the other day and think it looks way cool. Boker always seem to do killer collaborations with great knifemakers. I have many and they for the most part are really great blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Add B) If you are heavy handed and want a tank, XM-18 3,5". Else Strider SnG. Forget about the silly look of the handle. It just works like no other.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener.

4. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

a) No idea, I have no use for Boker anything made in the last 25 years, so have no experience or insight; good, bad, or indifferent

b) If you think you are interested in a Hinderer at all, buy one. They have never been cheaper on the secondary market then they are right now. I have seen like new XM's selling for 300 or less. Why buy an 'also-ran' when a person can find the real thing for that cheap?

I will never buy a Strider myself, I am too much at odds with both the aesthetic of the knife (at those price points, I have to like what I am looking at) and too much negative controversy about the man and the company. (google "strider stolen valour", if you are not aware).

Take the potential strider honour thing as you will, but if you are still interested google "Strider Customer Service".

Personally, both those items added together make strider an 'avoid at all costs' product for my money.

tde likes this.
  5. The Last Crow On The Wire

Thanks for all the info.

So this is what I concluded:

A) Confirmed Boker does nce colabs at affordable prices

B) Don't bother with a CRK
    Strider has a "tarnished" reputation (which I am aware of but thanks for the heads up as it is a factor) but I do like the look but that price is appalling.
    Snag a Hinderer on the secondary market... I would love a ghost jade XM18 with Slicer grind, or grey, blue, green, black or Ti but has to have the Slicer profile... but honestly wouldn't even know how to go about finding one.

6. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

The Strider SNG is an excellent knife.

Reputation can be a thing or not, depending if you care for it or not. I buy my knifes as knifes, not as conversation pieces or trophies.

The price is relative, if you enjoy it.

Esthetics might be debatable, but if form follows function, not so much. That odd looking handle has a real good reason.

Secondary markets for specialized good are often to be found in the forums for named goods.

Böker is disappointing, they look better than they are.

Squeeze your buttocks and save all your money. Buy the knife you really want. If it hurts, it was the right amount to take care of it. Still never forget, it's a tool.

Strider or XM-18 or Inkosi. It's the holy trinity and all of them have their price and earned their reputation (back again with that) for a reason.

7. The Last Crow On The Wire

ThaMac, you bring up many valid points.

My problem... I like all 3 lol

8. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

One after the other. Patience is a virtue.

Plus, make sure you get YOUR model. Like, meanwhile I know, the Spanto Harpoon XM-18 is my Hinderer. But that leaves me with a brand new Skinner. Fantastic knife, great slicer, and good shape. Just the Spanto Harpoon fits me better now. Same with Sebenza vs Inkosi. Happy I was able to sell the Sebenza for a good price (well it was as good as new, so a win-win).

That said, I found my flavor of the holy trinity and will post a picture of it soon

9. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

Who came up with the holy trinity of knives? There are so many great choices today. It's such a shame to limit yourself. YMMV

10. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

My god is better than yours

It's just something people say. No need to a) take it seriously or b) follow this religion. I'd say, they seem to be the three most universal, high end, production knives.

Gary Gross likes this.
  11. Gary Gross

I completely understand and assumed as much. I just feel those knives to be the current trend, akin to the fidget spinner. I haven't bought one and don't intend to simply because "everyone" has one. I have no ill will toward these knives or their makers. I simply don't see enough value to be in the "me too" club. My goal was just to present another viewpoint.

12. The Last Crow On The Wire

I can't wait to see your setup. I love my zt0652cf so that's why I'm thinking a XM18 with Slicer grind in grey or jade g10. Then if I can find one a SNG. So the CRK would be last as I've found an affinity for the more durable, thicker Edcs.

13. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

I don't agree. Reason is, that those knives are around for too long to be a current trend. They have been tested and refined (Sebenza to Inkosi, XM-18 gen 1-4, and with the development of the SNG meandering). Plus, you might not have a Strider anyway, as they closed their door, last sales at the SHOT Show 2017.

No offense, but did you handle any of those three?

14. Gary Gross

Never have and probably won't. I don't find anything appealing about them. Way too much hype and I can buy 3 quality knives of other brands for the price of 1 of theirs. And now...I'm out.

15. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Gary, there was nothing personal about what I wrote. For me this was (and still is) a civilized, interesting discussion between people with different viewpoint about an interesting topic.

So if you took offense, because or if I sounded rude, I want to apologize.

That said, I am not sure how you want to judge those knives, if you never touched any of them?

16. Gary Gross

@ThaMac No apologies necessary. Again, I'm not making judgments of those particular knives. I'm of the viewpoint that they don't present enough value for ME. To spend the money necessary to play in that arena, I want to be totally wowed. They may work flawlessly but they just don't have enough appeal to me. I guess I just have different tastes in aesthetics. So for knives that serve a bit more utilitarian purposes, I choose to spend less and get quality products from other companies.

That said, I own a full custom from Olamic Cutlery. I paid up for it. And it still blows me away. The cool thing is nobody else has one. ;)

17. The Last Crow On The Wire

I love what you both are saying and it's one of the reasons why collecting knives or anything for that matter is so :censored: it addicting. I think that the three makers mentioned above are the highly contested three most prominent high end production marketeers. Customs are a whole nother ballgame which I would love to enter someday but the sheer quantity of options would put me in a never-ending tailspin of combinations to Lust For and a bank account that would be forever dwindling. That's why my eyes are set on hinderer, Strider, crk because they are rather attainable benchmarks so to speak for the type of collector I guess I am. The fact that I have enjoyed the hinderer designed products I own so much makes me lean in that direction for my first "high end" knife.

18. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

Are you on Facebook? There are a couple of good groups that I frequent. I can send you invites to these closed groups if you wish, PM me and I will get you flanged up.

Otherwise, scan through the authorized retailer list on the Hinderer website. They are all currently selling at MSRP, which is 425 for a standard knife; XM18, Eklipse, and Maximus (if you can find one in stock, the Maximus was only just released so they are very hot right now and sell out quick). DLC and battlefield finishes are more...

19. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

Nice!

Pic's please and thanks. :)

But that is kind of the fun of Hinderer knives too. There are thousands of them out there, but playing mix and match with the hardware and aftermarket parts makes it easy to make your own 1 of 1.

No, they are certainly not for everyone, and more than a few are put off by the maker and the 'me too' club (as you put it - quite aptly too). But all manufacturers and makers have their share of that crowd. I do like RHK knives (some, but certainly not all models), but have some issues with the company, and get very weary of the Me Too's and the fanboys...

Gary Gross likes this.
  20. Gary Gross

Here you go! I thought about going the Hinderer route. Then I added up all the extras I wanted to customize it and decided against it. All of this is what makes all this madness fun. There are so many choices available and you can spend as much or as little as you want. It's all about what meets your needs and budget.

BTW my sincerest apologies to the OP. for totally hijacking this thread. Let's return our regularly scheduled programming![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Lightnig likes this.