1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

what do you think of SWISS TECH

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by bubbajoe, Jun 1, 2006.

1. 50ft-trad

50ft-trad Loaded Pockets

I carry a utilikey and very rarely use it because I carry other items, but when I have had to fall back on it for whatever reason, it have always served its purpose and will therefore remain on my keys indefinatly

2. Denyer

Denyer Empty Pockets

The keys are alright for poking things, glasses screws or for cutting cord/cables. I carried one for ages as a more disposable sharp edge (rather than keep wearing down a LM blade) before eventually retiring both and settling on a Gerber Clutch and a Swiss-Tech Screwz on a key-ring, but the key might be a good compromise for someone who wouldn't consider carrying any kind of larger tool with a knife. The main difference between the old ones and the new seems to be the finish, which on pre-patent versions is a lot less shiny.

Have to say I do like the 19-in-1 to keep on the desk to work on computer screws and fiddle with, and the polished steel tools (I don't think they do the 19 in black) are a bit nicer to handle.

3. Druthu

Druthu Loaded Pockets

I need to pick up a Utili-Key. I picked up the Micro-Tech 6 in 1. The Micro Tech is pretty heavy.

4. shecky

shecky Empty Pockets

Never been all that impressed with the Utilikey or the older 6-in-1 plier. The pliers work a bit better thin the thin Leatherman P4, but the screwdrivers are not ground particularly well, and the folding pivots get sloppy without much effort. The Utilikey is is fiddly to use, the blade only marginally better for opening packages than a real key, the screwdrivers poorly ground. The Phillips fit poorly in many screws, the large flat screwdriver was buffed nearly round, and the small flat screwdriver was so thick and obtuse, it would fit no tiny eyeglass screws I could find. The bottle opener doesn't have much leverage. Though it takes up very little space on the keychain, I found it's lack of utility made it pretty useless compared to a comparably equipped SAK.

5. Tommy Gun

Tommy Gun Empty Pockets

Utili-key is brilliant! Small and unobtrusive. O0

6. zenlunatic

zenlunatic Loaded Pockets

link to my unmachined swiss tech tool (pics)

7. mister_fox

mister_fox Loaded Pockets

I love my utilikey, use it all the time. Took a playstation controller apart with it today.

8. skullpin

skullpin Empty Pockets

I have/had their screws-all, micro-plus, and utili-key. All are nicely made and can not be faulted for finish. The ergonomics of all these tools are just wrong though.

The screws-all comes with a built in key ring that seems like a really good idea. But, it holds keys at really awkward jabby angles, and is uncomfortable is the pocket. The oversize keyring is just silly overkill for attaching to a main key ring.

The micro-plus (and any other of their plier tools) locks onto your keychain in a clever way. But, it locks on at a 90 degree angle to the key ring, again making a bulky keychain that does not lay flat.

The utili-key is neat. But, it is a little dangerous in use. An allox swiss army knife is sooooooo much more functional and worthy of edc.

9. Sharpmint

Sharpmint Empty Pockets

I have the micro-plus (pliers and screwdrivers). I love it; very small.

10. Wooden Foot

Wooden Foot Empty Pockets

I've had my utilikey since Christmas and I have no complaints other than the glasses screwdriver doesn't fit my glasses. Other than that it has come in handy on a few occasions.

11. all_thumbs

all_thumbs Loaded Pockets

Thanks to this thread, I purchased a lot of three utilikeys off of the evil auction site. Thanks again EDCF for helping me get what I need.

12. Naurek

Naurek Empty Pockets

I have a Utilikey and I find it a bit awkward to use and it was a bit hard to open until I got the hang of it. On the plus side, it's never fallen off.

I love it though. It's very small and passes as a key to someone not really looking. I use it as my core, if I carry no other tools at least I'll still always have a blade+.

I've used it many times for minor things, especially in public places with lots of people or kids around. It doesn't freak anyone out (because let's face it, some people are even scared at the sight of a SAK blade).

13. Five-s3v3n

Five-s3v3n Loaded Pockets

Just got my Utili-Key in the mail today and as impressed as I am with its function, I'm also equally disappointed in the quality...

When I received it, I promptly began playing with it like a kid on Christmas day. Sad thing is, while using it to put an external hdd back together, a bit of the philips head came off! :shocked:

Also, the knife isn't very sharp at all, at least not anywhere near the sharpness of my SAK's blades. The edge was very rough but a few strokes on my steeling rod evened it out significantly.

While playing with the mechanism excessively, I noticed there's quite a bit of slack when the knife is half opened.

Trying to figure out how the serrated portion of the blade would ever be useful (as it's attached to something with next to no grip) I began inserting it in random slots on my SAK as I've heard about the hook+pen trick lol.

Eventually I found out by inserting the key, bottle opener side down in the pliers section of my cybertool 34, it provides a surprisingly sturdy grip for the blade! The utili-key combined with my SAK can now create a improvised wood/plastic saw!

All in all, I love my new utili-key, although there are a few things I would like to see fixed in their QC

Hope this helps!

14. ace19636

ace19636 Loaded Pockets

i have all of thare tools so far and i love them alll thare grate tools for small jobs. the first tool i got is the swiss key and i loved it so i had to get more and what do you know now i have them all lol i love swiss tech tools. :D

15. blackhatch

blackhatch Empty Pockets

I love swiss tech as well. I wish that they made more so i could own more! I only get my swiss techs in stainless! the black my friend had was starting to rust this summer and mine still looked new :)

16. xBlue

xBlue Empty Pockets

Love my Utili-Key. It's great having a serrated edge and eyeglass screwdriver that hides away into the keyring.

My original Micro-Tech in black is still around, has a tight fit and finish that seems a notch above my newer gen. stainless steel Micro-Plus.

Big fan of the Screwz-All - a great alternative to the Micro series if you don't require pliers. Wish the clip was better designed for keychain attachment though.

Finally, avoid the Smart Clip. Got a model from an Rei store on clearance a few years ago. Very poor quality, fit and finish like a $1 multitool. LED on button incredibly hard to slide, and battery replacement was a mystery to me.

17. josephho

josephho Loaded Pockets

I had had two utili-keys until I broke them.
    One has a imcomplete philip driver, another has a rupture of its keyring hook.
    It seems utili-keys are made from high carbon steel and very brittle.
    In emergency conditions I trust micra only, although it's heavy and much bigger.
    But it's strong enough,I even havn't see it getting rusted.

18. all_thumbs

all_thumbs Loaded Pockets

I received my Utilikeys and am impressed with the quality. One is going to my GF, one on my keychain, and one will stay in my TG Dispatch in the secret stash spot on a retractor with a few other emergecy goodies. Thanks again all.

19. arem

arem Empty Pockets

I have a Utilikey and I think it's a great idea but like many others I find the execution lacking. The biggest problem for me is that anytime you want to use it you have to take it off your key ring, that's fine sometimes but if you just want to open a bottle or slice a piece of tape quickly it leads to a lot of fumbling around or dropped keys. I keep it on my key ring as a last resort kind of thing, but I pretty much never use it.

20. Wooden Foot

Wooden Foot Empty Pockets

My utilikey got confiscated at the courthouse today, but I got it back. They called it a knife key.