1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What do you think of Shoulder Bags as an EDC carry?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by Ingo, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Ingo

Ingo Loaded Pockets

Hey there, been thinking of using my festival/shoulder bag as an EDC carry, really love the design and comfort.
    What do you guys think? Pros and cons?[​IMG][​IMG]

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A5000 mit Tapatalk

2. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I don't like those. It's one of those sizes that's right in between my two main carry methods. I either go light and just carry my stuff in my pockets or if i need to carry more or plan on buying stuff i grab a proper bag. One of those tiny shoulder bags don't give me enough versatility for the hassle.. And they make you look like a Mediterranean pickpocket...

3. Ingo

Ingo Loaded Pockets

That Mediterranean pickpocket made chuckle haha.
    IMO they are pretty nice if you have a bit more stuff but still don't wanna carry a backpack. Sadly here in Germany quite a few douches use those so they have quite a bad reputation
    ... Same where you live?

4. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

The only questions you really need to ask is if it will do the job you want it to do and if you will be satisfied using it that way. If the answer to both of those questions is yes, that is all you need to know.

Gary Gross likes this.
  5. Westerdutch

Yup, i live in the Netherlands and that's THE original douche-bag. Especially from fancy French or Italian brands like louis vuitton or gucci.

6. Ingo

Ingo Loaded Pockets

Oh yeah especially Louis Vuitton... May ask how old you are? Just interested in what age group people wear those

7. Westerdutch

I'm in my early 30s but the guys that wear those horrid bags are anywhere between 14-30 really, nearly all baseball cap wearing dudes with cellphones glued to their hands and they seem to grow on street corners in packs of at least 4. They also seem to thrive in malls.

8. Ingo

Ingo Loaded Pockets

Yeah sadly some/most wear that bag are just morons... Can't deny that. But I don't like those caps, they make those guys look stupid. Normally caps are totally fine, but not in that Combination... Mostly together with Adidas sweatpants...

9. Dutchie_27

Dutchie_27 Empty Pockets

Here another "dutchie" as my nickname might sugest...

I'm mid 20's myself and if I see someone wearing one of those I always make sure to check my pockets indeed.
    So I completely agree with westerdutch's remarks.
    Don't know about the poster's whereabouts. It might be different there. But I prefer to be a little more low-key and prefer not to be associated with the stigma coming with that type of bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I find it very interesting that a bag and combination of clothing produces a stigma in one part of the world and something completely different in others.

11. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Personally I either carry more gear for a definite purpose in a backpack, or it's what goes in my pockets when I EDC. I've never really carried a small shoulder bag, but have carried messenger sized bags

Moshe ben David likes this.
  12. Ingo

Ingo Loaded Pockets

Indeed, I feel like the more South in Europe you are the "better" it is. I know since I've lived in Germany and Spain. May ask what your country thinks?
    BTW does anyone know how it looks like in the US?

13. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

In my neck of the woods that bag spells more hipster less douche

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary Gross likes this.
  14. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

This kind of shoulder bag - yes. That kind of shoulder bag - no.

[​IMG]

15. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Where I am this is a Purse,seems pretty obvious to me.

But if this is what yo want to carry why does it matter what anyone else thinks?

16. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I've seen a few young men in post industrial wasteland towns near me with those bags - I've never understood why. If it's for fashion, well, it's a post industrial wasteland so nobodies watching;) For me, anything I can fit in them I can fit in my pockets. A bit bigger with a bit more organisation - absolutely, but they're too small to be much use for me.

17. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I mostly use a messenger bag. Generally I have a personal FAK, pouch for miscellaneous admin type tools, one or two books, notebook, notepad. You get the picture. I do have a backpack that I switch over to if I plan on doing more walking, say in a downtown area.

If I'm really doing virtually no walking at all I do have a leather bag I picked up in Japan about 25 years ago. All I carry on these 'light' days would be a book, notepad, set of pens, maybe my pouch with my pipe and tobacco. This bag is about the size the OP is showing although not as thick. I've had it long enough that it now looks like properly distressed leather! Some might look at it and call it a 'murse'; I just consider it convenient for its purpose. Back in those days these were pretty fashionable in several Asian countries...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

18. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

I live in Canada and in the part I live, you really don't see the small bags like that.
    Mostly they are bigger type messenger bags or backpacks.
    Some hipsters wear a slightly bigger bag that carries a tablet.
    My guess is that bags that size are for those who don't like anything in their pockets.
    I guess I'm not fashion conscious because I use my pockets.

19. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

For me that hardly qualifies as a shoulder bag. When someone says shoulder bag I picture one of the myriad small messengers or something like the Maxped jumbo or 5.11 PUSH.

20. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Agree with the majority here.
    I rarely carry shoulder bags. If I do, it's usually photo related or I sometimes on (business) travel.
    I find that packing my computer stuff in a shoulder bag inside my carry-on gives added protection to the computer as well as being a more convenient (and stylistically acceptable in the business domain) than my carry-on bag (which is usually a 40ish liter backpack) .
    My current favorite is the Waterfield outback muzetto in waxed canvas.

[​IMG]