1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What do you NOT carry, and why?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Stutz, Jan 27, 2015.

?

What items do you NOT carry?

1. blade

6.7%
  2. MT or SAK

17.8%
  3. light

6.1%
  4. watch

19.9%
  5. pen and/or notepad

13.8%
  6. fire source

43.1%
  7. keychain accessories

24.9%
  8. one of the basics: phone, keys, wallet

3.7%
  9. pry bar or Atwood-style tool

64.3%
  10. other

15.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. zatoichi

zatoichi Loaded Pockets

The Attorneys General work for the Governor.

And there is a lot of public support for the strong restrictions on CCW.

2. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Because I can't sing.

MedusaOblongata likes this.
  3. Maave

Maave Loaded Pockets

Something I specifically don't carry is a folding card knife. I carried one for a while, rarely remembered that I even had it, and it sucked when I did use it. If you're thinking of getting one just get a flat box cutter instead

4. Prepare2Prep

Prepare2Prep Loaded Pockets

I don't carry a pry bar or watch (unless phone counts) I am looking into a pry tool but as of right now I just don't carry one. I have always liked watches and use to wear them all the time (pun unintentional) however I tend to smack the watch face on things and then I stopped buying them. I have seen some I really like but haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.

5. jorski3000

jorski3000 Loaded Pockets

I only carry minimal amount of stuff on me. Knife and light, always. Wallet and keys, naturally. A miniature multitool. Pen is a must, so I carry a tactical one, simply because they don't break in pocket. Some pages from a notebook in the phone case. No pry tool, but if I find one that I like, why not. But it would have to fill a need that my other stuff doesn't cover.

Full size MT, FB knife, IFAK and fire in the bag.

Edited to add: no key dangler here. Nor beads, dog tags, novelty items, jewellery except engagement ring and watch... Strictly business. No shemaghs, bandannas or other rags. There's a place for those in my system but not in my edc. No chap stick - my lips never chap. No paracord or duct tape or zip ties, all that is in the car now. No need to keep all that on my person or in my small bag. Again, my car, office and home are well stocked.

Last edited by jorski3000, Mar 22, 2016
    Stutz likes this.
  6. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

Notebook pages in the phone case is a great idea. I'm going to try that. I like having a way to write notes by hand, and the smallest option I've been able to find is a tiny Moleskine. But it's still not super durable and has to share a back pocket with my hankie.

I too don't have a problem with chapped lips. I'm always secretly suspicious of people who always need chapstick, like "do you REALLY, though?" Hehehe. Sometimes I think they just like it.

7. HeavyHauler

HeavyHauler Empty Pockets

I don't carry a prybar/atwood, bottle opener, MT or SAK or a watch; as well as some others.

Don't ever need any of these.

Sometimes I need a bottle opener, but when I do; I use my teeth.

Stutz likes this.
  8. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT Loaded Pockets

"DEAD MAN WALKING"

REDDEVIL likes this.
  9. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT Loaded Pockets

Bad people infest all areas of our everyday environment.

10. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT Loaded Pockets

I wear an Atomic Solar G-Shock watch, carry my EDC items in a Micro Maxpedition Bag (5.5 X 3.5 X 1) on my belt and wear an ESEE IZULA as a neck knife 24/7/365 (and yes that includes sleeping and showering) . I don't hunt for trouble but I also don't expect my house to burn down and I still carry Fire Insurance. As a 66 year old crippled man I feel a need to be prepared.

ramjet likes this.
  11. Maave

Maave Loaded Pockets

Yeah some people over use it. I know some people who go nuts with it but don't have any medical reason to. Personally I do need it during the winter because I get bad chapping. Same on my knuckles. Btw the more liquidy chapstick can double as hand lotion. The form factor is very convenient.

ramjet, Stutz and RAMBOCAT like this.
  12. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT Loaded Pockets

In a survival situation you can break a cotton swab in half and insert one half into the chapstick down to the cotton. Now you have a candle that will burn all night. I also use it to prevent chapped lips.

Stutz likes this.
  13. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I no longer carry keychain-sized tools on my keychain. Over the past decade since being on this forum, I have found them to be a waste of my time. Although easier to carry, I have found these miniaturized implements to not be worth the effort to carry them and the collective space that they consume. I prefer the 5-layer Wenger Evowood S557 to be significantly more functional; particularly the larger dimensions that allow a more secure grip.

Stutz likes this.
  14. madkins007

madkins007 Loaded Pockets

I am happy to see other minimalists here! I define EDC as the stuff I ALWAYS have when I am up and about. I have a gear bag, car kit, and more, but darn little in my pockets ALL THE TIME. I also don't like bulk, weight, or high cost on my stuff.

Blades/tools- Yes. Swiss Army Rambler on the keychain. Often a Leatherman Juice at work, on the road, etc.
    Flashlights- Yes, sorta. Usually use my cell phone, but may add a Fenix or Photon to my keychain when travelling, out at night, etc.
    Watch- No, use the cell phone
    Pen/notepad- Yes. I modified a keychain pen to carry in my wallet and also carry dollar bill-sized pieces of paper there for notes
    Fire source- No. I don't smoke, so why?
    Pry bar- No. I've never understood the logic of a tiny pry bar.
    Guns/weapons (since it has come up so much)- No. While there are indeed bad people everywhere, there are a thousand other bad things that can happen to me with much more likelihood that I also do not EDC for. If my situation was different, though, I'd rethink this.

Other things I EDC include the obvious (keys, cash/money, ID), cell phone (phone, flashlight, camera, compass, level, audio recorder, reference materials and manuals, music player, etc.) some duct tape on the back of a card in my wallet, a packet of powdered aspirin for heart attacks (I'm old enough to possibly need it, as are many people I am around. Otherwise I would not bother.) and a list of phone numbers in case I cannot access my phone.

Stutz likes this.
  15. ramjet

ramjet Loaded Pockets

Grandfather always said...."a gentleman always has a pocket knife and a handkerchief with him". I have since changed that modicum into a knife, flashlight, hanky and a lighter. Lately I do carry chapstick, sunblock schmear stuff. I am in the desert and I really don't want skin cancer surgery.lol

Stutz likes this.
  16. KentuckyRock17
    • In Omnia Paratus

KentuckyRock17 Uber Prepared

A firearm...

I'm too young ;_;

17. mirrorsbrightly

mirrorsbrightly Loaded Pockets

No keychain accessories for me. I edc a wallet, keys, knife, flashlight, and handgun (pending I am not working). I have a EDC backpack nearby so I have any tools in there. Idk. I always liked having streamlined keys.

18. 313

313 Uber Prepared

I've stopped EDC'ing a dedicated knife on most of the days. Always had a SAK on me and recently tried out some traditional slipjoints, but they've always been more luxury items than necessities for me. Keychain-sized multi tools do most of what I need and there's always a full sized MT close by.

soundlessnut and Mumbojumboo like this.
  19. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Wish i could not carry keys.
    I hate keys.
    I don't carry Euro cash coins. Not worth it for the value they have...

20. 313

313 Uber Prepared

Coins are an annoyance. I just collect all spare change into a box and when it's full take it to a bank that deposits them for free.

Stutz and Nick4305 like this.