1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What do you NOT carry, and why?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Stutz, Jan 27, 2015.

?

What items do you NOT carry?

1. blade

6.7%
  2. MT or SAK

17.8%
  3. light

6.1%
  4. watch

19.9%
  5. pen and/or notepad

13.8%
  6. fire source

43.1%
  7. keychain accessories

24.9%
  8. one of the basics: phone, keys, wallet

3.7%
  9. pry bar or Atwood-style tool

64.3%
  10. other

15.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

I would also like to live my whole life without shooting anybody. I carry a gun because I'd rather live my life and shoot somebody than not live any more of my life and not shoot somebody.

2. Sharon Hazan

Sharon Hazan Loaded Pockets

maybe some people will not going to like what i have to say about blades
    but why are you carry one in urban environment?

3. 313

313 Uber Prepared

This is a good question.

I've thought about this and don't carry a dedicated blade other than when out in nature. In an "urban" environment I do need a cutting instrument, but the requirements are different for it. There's usually very little need to do precise push cuts or slicing, rather than to just quickly cut something. I probably use my keychain tool scissors daily 3x more than a knife blade. The more manmade an environment is, the more likely you're to encounter stuff like screws that hold things together, instead of doing woodwork. So my choice is a multitool/SAK that are more versatile in my everyday life.

Having said that, a lot of what people carry has to do with other than reason, which I feel is just as important as pure functionality. If I had a nice folding knife which I really liked and could carry it freely, I probably would. Even if there was no specific reason to do so.

M

4. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

I work in an office. A nice little blade is handy for opening mail and small packages. And there is always the chance of a need for self-defense, although I haven't needed to deal with that yet. As you know, it's better to have something and not need it than to need it and not have it. An 8" blade in a belt sheath may be overkill but I won't leave home without a knife in my pocket.

5. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Spare insulation/loft - in case the weather turns bad, I get stuck outside longer than expected, and/or am idle and not generating enough heat. It's awfully bulky to EDC, even stuffed, and you can't keep good insulation stuff for long without destroying it.

(But I think I just solved that problem :D)

6. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

I do use a cheap watch at work but I don't consider it an EDC item and don't wear one otherwise. Any kind of pry bar would reside in a BOB or work bag. I don't see much use for a very small one and a larger one is more than I want to EDC. I have thought about a fire source but right now it resides only in a bag like the pry bar.The possibility of actually needing a fire source aside from outdoor activities like hiking,camping etc. seems pretty remote so I don't know if I will ever carry one on a regular basis.

7. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

Besides the possibility of self defense a knife is probably considered the number one survival tool by most people. Will I ever need one in an urban environment for anything other than occasional tasks? Maybe not but I want that option. Unfortunately disaster and emergencies can arrive in the spur of the moment and all the fantastic supplies you have at home are suddenly unavailable.There is a chance you could be stuck or forced to leave with only what you have on your person and not having at least a small knife seems unrealistic to me.

8. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

Because they're useful for a lot of things. I work in inventory receiving and I have to open packages and break down boxes a lot, so I use my Spyderco constantly. I find it much more convenient than using a box cutter or scissors, both of which are big and heavy so they have to be set down or carried around, whereas my blade is always snugly in my right pocket and available in a split second. Outside of work, it's just something I'm used to having. Something to cut with is always helpful, and it's a last-ditch self-defense option (which is actually more relevant in an urban environment).

surefire7 likes this.
  9. zatoichi

zatoichi Loaded Pockets

The one thing I never carry is a handgun. Illegal for open or concealed carry.

10. RubberToRoad

RubberToRoad Loaded Pockets

Where are you located?

Sent from my Note 10.1 somewhere deep in a hidden lair.

11. Roy Williams

Roy Williams Loaded Pockets

[deleted]

Last edited by Roy Williams IV, Mar 9, 2018
    #151 Roy Williams, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Stutz likes this.
  12. zatoichi

zatoichi Loaded Pockets

I live in Hawaii. Only LEOs can legally concealed carry here. Open carry is also not legal.

13. RubberToRoad

RubberToRoad Loaded Pockets

That's not technically true (at least it wasn't) but as a "may issue state", they abuse the right to deny.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

14. zatoichi

zatoichi Loaded Pockets

I appreciate your post. But the all the Attorneys General have made it clear that they will not issue CCWs.

15. MoighonFweeman

MoighonFweeman Loaded Pockets

That's called a clarinet.

16. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

The "kitchen sink". I've tried every way imaginable to fit it into my bag or on my person but it just won't happen. I've even tried my cargo pants, but it's a no-go.

I can't count how many times I've needed my kitchen sink, but I just look like such a DORK with it strapped to the roof of my Yugo, or towing it behind me in that little red wagon walking through the office at work.

Sadly, I also don't carry the vaunted grappling hook anymore either. Even as a closet-Batman, I get the strangest looks scaling the wall of the office building to the 3rd floor, so I had to give it up. (plus, then I have to carry a mini-EDC block & tackle to haul up my kitchen sink afterwards...which really sucks!).

Oh, and prybars; I don't carry a prybar. I've found they just aren't heavy-duty enough to pry my tired backside off the couch (and not nearly strong enough to pry my fingers off my beer glass), nor are they quite long enough to scrape the gum and dog poop off my shoe.

On a happier note; even though I leave these items at home now days, recently I had to use my prybar to pry out my kitchen sink from the counter and my grappling hook was right there to drag it out to the dumpster behind my ATV. Whew!

17. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

The pull tab on my can of chili broke at lunch today. I used my knife to open it. Would have been without lunch if I didn't have a knife. Every day I forget to put my knife in my pocket is the day I need it.

18. Warfusion
    • In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

19. ALLHSS

ALLHSS Loaded Pockets

Maybe that suggests you should do something about your fundamental constitutional right being taken away by an over reaching judicial branch.

I don't carry lots of things that more serious edc people carry.

I do carry:
    Knife
    Keychain flashlight
    Keychain multitool
    Band wallet

And often I also carry:
    Pen
    Handkerchief
    Lighter

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

20. ALLHSS

ALLHSS Loaded Pockets

Because I can.

I've always carried knives. I like having a knife. A knife can be needed, or useful, in any environment. The city I'm in most has no knife restrictions beyond the state restrictions, and those basically just ban the carry of autos, daggers, and for the purpose of terror or crime. It is a working class city, with a generally sensible people. I have never gotten anything but compliments from natives when using a knife (maybe a playful jab or two, pun intended). I always thought I must look weird having a folding knife in my pocket at college, even though it sure does help open cardboard boxes and packages and all the other normal stuff a knife is used for, until my student club had a spontaneous moment where everyone pulled out their pocket knife and showed it around. I'd say 80% of the students had a knife on them. Idk about other places, but where I am it is still normal and the utility is recognized.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

plague112 likes this.