1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What do you NOT carry, and why?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Stutz, Jan 27, 2015.

?

What items do you NOT carry?

1. blade

6.7%
  2. MT or SAK

17.8%
  3. light

6.1%
  4. watch

19.9%
  5. pen and/or notepad

13.8%
  6. fire source

43.1%
  7. keychain accessories

24.9%
  8. one of the basics: phone, keys, wallet

3.7%
  9. pry bar or Atwood-style tool

64.3%
  10. other

15.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TangoMike

TangoMike Loaded Pockets

I work in a restaurant and their reasoning is food safety. contamination and all that, cuz people wake up and think "today I'm going to stick my hand in a rub full if used drug needles, then go to work and stick it in a pot of soup.." in reality it's the uniform. You wear what we tell you, no more, no less. Some big chains get very picky. I know someone who worked at Wendy's: he got in trouble for not wearing black socks. When you work those places you're pretty much not supposed to think for yourself. What's the word? :censored:? Anyway a bit to off topic...

Stutz, ManVsLawn and AK Adventurer like this.
  2. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Things I don't permanently carry:
    A fire source, mainly just because I don't generally need one in everyday life. I do normally have one in my bag for when I have been playing with paracord or for odd occasional uses, but it isn't a necessity I double check before I go out.

Keychain accessories I also avoid beyond a small carabiner/clip so I can anchor my keys to something safely, and a Lego mini figure keychain just because. Otherwise I want to keep my keys as small and unobtrusive as possible, and I figure that if something is worth carrying, I might as well carry a proper version of that item - so the SAK and AAA torch in my pocket rather than a button cell light or Spyderco Bug. I will carry a small altoids tin of quasi-backup items in my bag but it isn't really an essential.

Pry bars and other Atwood style tools I don't normally carry. I have a couple of Atwoods, but honestly I don't really have much need for them - anything I can't do with a SAK type tool I would want something larger, heavier duty and less expensive than an Atwood or 2" pry bar.

It might be worth mentioning that I am combining the 'blade' and 'multi-tool/sak' into the same item - I normally carry a Vic cadet or bantam, which does me both as a blade and small toolset, so I won't carry a larger folder or multitool unless I specifically need them.

Stutz, KODIAKman and ManVsLawn like this.
  3. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

No pry bar here. The photo below shows what's typical on-person daily EDC.

Sorry, but I just can't quite go without some sort of fire-starting tool. :cool: Cheap insurance.

[​IMG]

4. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

This thread has shown me what a 'pry-o-phile' I am... 2/3 of the votes are against the pry bars!

(I tried an Atwood, but I'll stick to less expensive models, for now....for now)

Someone help me! Brtsmpsn, Gwac110 - aid my cause!

Daily pry bar carriers, unite!

Late edit - I also carry fire sources... Heck, there are two in wallet (Fresnel Lens and Ferro/Striker)!!

Gwac110, Water-Rat, T.H.Cone and 2 others like this.
  5. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

I've been try it explain it to y'all.:p

Lester, hal_chase and Stutz like this.
  6. ManVsLawn

Mine gets used daily... At least my work one does.

And I've been trying to explain it to you all as well!

Save the blades! Save the SAKs! Dedicated pry tool is where it's At(wood)

Gwac110 and T.H.Cone like this.
  7. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

I have two little pry tools in my wallet. One of them is a nemesis knives ti-card, which is more of a knife but one of the two sharpened edges does not have a cutting bevel, which strikes me as perfect for prying. the other is a thicker prybar with a couple nice flatheat screwdrivers on it. both get used for screwing and prying as needed

edit: forgot to mention the appeal of the little prytools. they are knife-tip savers, good for tasks that might damage the edge of a knife (as in non-cutting tasks that some folks like to use a knife for anyway). mine get used a lot removing stubborn lids or otherwise opening things that i can't get into with my bare fingers.

things I don't carry:
    • fire starting gear. i don't do things that require me to start fires. my stove and hot water heater are electric.
    • SAK/MT. the bulk of my tool use is knifing, prying, and screwing.
    • watch. i forgot to count it when i filled the survey. i have this wonderful internet connected gizmo in my pocket that can tell time.
    • notepad. i should. I have some nice pens. but i'd just use it up doodling or writing shopping lists of things I maybe want but not just yet like I do the sticky notes at my job ("more hawaiian shirt?/ cole slaw, mini tupperwares? /Squash, flushable wipes." my shopping lists look like haiku sometimes)

Sly, Gwac110, Water-Rat and 2 others like this.
  8. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

I never listen to views counter to my own.:p

Sly, REDDEVIL, lobird91 and 2 others like this.
  9. hbanger

hbanger Loaded Pockets

I don't do a watch my phone has one I do have a pocket watch in my go bag and I also don't carry a pry bar or atwood Atwoods are to expensive and I have a crappy knife and screwdriver for prying little things

ManVsLawn likes this.
  10. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Man, there's no love for prybars. It doesn't have to be an Atwood. I carry two most days. A Ti Shark on my keychain for looking cool and minor screwdriver/prying/poking duties, and a CC widgy bar in my pocket for the tough stuff, like prying open lockers, scraping dirt, and opening boxes etc.

bigfoot, JustinJ and ManVsLawn like this.
  11. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

I answered SAK or MT. I have both in a bag in the car, but everything else on that list I carry on person in some shape or form.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  12. ManVsLawn

Water-Rat, Gwac110 and Bowman1911 like this.
  13. Gwac110
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gwac110 EDC Junkie!!!

Don't worry ManVsLawn I'm with ya!!
    I always carry a Pry Bar, at work a heavier duty one 4" long, going out always one on my pocket dangler with light and small SAK, or there is also the one on the end of my RUT with goes with me everywhere:)
    Never carry a fire source on person but have one in my work bag.
    Everything else on the list I pretty much have on me most of the time, more so at work.

Water-Rat and ManVsLawn like this.
  14. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

hal_chase EDC Junkie!!!!!

Carry two, used one in the last six months as a chisel while re-upholstering a chair (inside my house)....not sure why I still carry them :rolleyes_revamped:

ManVsLawn likes this.
  15. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

I think it really depends on what you do for a living and/or your personal environment. Some people have a need for a pry bar, some don't. Some people feel the need for a fire piston or a fire starter kit, some don't. For example, you need one for prying open lockers, scraping dirt, or opening boxes. I don't do hardly any of those things, with the the exception of cutting open packages that I receive in the mail. That's the thing about EDC, everyone's is different. There is no standard EDC equipment.

Stutz, Water-Rat, c99camper and 2 others like this.
  16. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Some people carry paracord, I don't. Never had a need for it...ever.

Stutz, ManVsLawn and JustinJ like this.
  17. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Of course, now that you said that, Murphy might take notice. :p

ManVsLawn and hal_chase like this.
  18. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Perhaps, but I've been saying it for years now. My days of deploying to the field and going on backpacking/hiking expeditions are long over. :)

bigfoot, ManVsLawn and hal_chase like this.
  19. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I carry a quick deploy paracord fob on my keychain and another as a zipper pull on my FAK. I rarely use them for anything other than as a fob or zipper pull. Every once in a while though, they're great for tying open a door or securing stuff in your trunk.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  20. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

No offense to anybody who wears one, but I think paracord bracelets look ridiculous.